Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Engine problems (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/engine-problems-32421.html)

calicocal 06-23-2009 03:54 PM

Engine problems

Hello, I was hoping to get some help with my Wrangler. I have a 98 Wrangler with a 4L engine. About a month ago the engine started to squeal a bit when I put in the clutch and when it was in neutral. A couple weeks ago it started to squeal when I was in gear, unless I was at low RPMs. Then last Friday when I started the car the engine would go up to about 2000 rpms and then slowly come down to about 1250. This also happens when I shift into neutral or put the clutch in.

I thought the problem might be the serpentine belt, because of the squealing so I changed it, but still squeals and still shoots up in rpms. I am a bit low on engine coolant, but the temp gauge is where it should be. Oil level is fine, oil pressure is fine. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Dance GvN Dance 08-16-2010 02:42 PM

the RPMs i beleive just means that the throttle cable may be a lil too tight or just go to a local shop and get the people there to see if they can change the idle. And actually the high rpms are probabley meant to be that way to keep the engine running until it gets warmed up thats why it does that. But thats any tipical older engine. Dont worry about the Rpms being high when you first start it up. Heres an example, ever start a motorcycle or 4wheeler and you notice its reving really high? and then a few minutes later it will be at a pretty mild idle? Just listen or watch when you start the jeep as you hear the car idleing lower and lower. As for the squealing... uhhhmmm maybe the clutch needs to be changed or the transmission fluid may be low. Just by a clutch rebuild kit off of ebay, if that doesnt help, well atleast it couldnt hurt to change it but i suggest you look into it some more.

rrich 08-16-2010 03:03 PM

The squeal - you suspected the serp belt - how 'bout the idler pulley(s)?

They seem to last about 80,000 miles.
Easy to change, not expensive.

Gee oh Dee 08-16-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dance GvN Dance (Post 727065)
the RPMs i beleive just means that the throttle cable may be a lil too tight or just go to a local shop and get the people there to see if they can change the idle. And actually the high rpms are probabley meant to be that way to keep the engine running until it gets warmed up thats why it does that. But thats any tipical older engine. Dont worry about the Rpms being high when you first start it up. Heres an example, ever start a motorcycle or 4wheeler and you notice its reving really high? and then a few minutes later it will be at a pretty mild idle? Just listen or watch when you start the jeep as you hear the car idleing lower and lower. As for the squealing... uhhhmmm maybe the clutch needs to be changed or the transmission fluid may be low. Just by a clutch rebuild kit off of ebay, if that doesnt help, well atleast it couldnt hurt to change it but i suggest you look into it some more.

The clutch won't make squealing noises. And unless the truck needs it I'd save my money to spend on what is causing the problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrich (Post 727094)
The squeal - you suspected the serp belt - how 'bout the idler pulley(s)?

They seem to last about 80,000 miles.
Easy to change, not expensive.

I agree with rrich. And there is a really simple way of confirming if it is indeed the idler pulley, or any pulley for that matter. Just try and spin them. If its squealing as much as you say, you'll feel which pulley is giving the resistance causing the belt to slip. Or look for burnt belt chunks, if belt isn't everywhere already. Typically the dirtiest pulley is the one thats bad as its getting rubbed the most.

As for idle, idling at 2000rpm is NOT normal, but thats a little more challanging. Your alt may not be putting out enough juice, and the motor is having issues because of that, but that is really unlikely. I'd be more inclined to look into the throttle position sensor or fast idle air valve (fiav). It could be quite a few things in the throttle body, even a vacuum leak.

If its throttle cable related, it'd be a kinked throttle cable, something that woudl be easy to identify and correct. But thats even less likely than the belt being the cause of your idle issue.

Dance GvN Dance 08-18-2010 11:15 PM

I've thaught about it and the only reason I can think the belt is squeeling at low Rpms is because there is more torque than in higher rpms. Especcially in the jeeps. Really in the long run if the belts are squeeling it won't really be a problem if you get them changed in the next 1000 miles but if not then things could start messing up so just get it changed as soon as possible wichever belt it was. Most torque is at 3200 rpms at 141 ft/lbs of torque and horsepower at 5000 at 121 hp but that pretty much redlining it haha