Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Wiring Diagram/ Electrical problems (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/wiring-diagram-electrical-problems-32499.html)

Keith951 06-25-2009 02:27 PM

Wiring Diagram/ Electrical problems

Taking a break on doing body work after installing me new JC whitney Fenders, and Im going to start working out some of the mechanical bugs.

Here are the issues Im about to start trying to fix

1.) No instrument panal/gauage lights (Headlights work)
2.) No running lights when headights are on
3.) Odometer/speedomter dont work (Sure its the speed sensor have yet to pull it to look
4.) Tire rubs on sway bar when wheel is fully turned. (Car got in a wreck some point in its life so might be a little out of wack. any other ideas?)
5.)Gas gauage does not work (any way to test the OHMS coming out of the sender before dropping the tank to see if its dead?)

-Keith

roscoegriffin 05-07-2012 07:22 AM

What did you do to fix your lighting problem?

0III0forlife 05-07-2012 08:11 AM

there is a fuse in the panel up under the dash next to the emergency brake pedal that is for the dash/running lights. adjust the steering stops out to stop your tire rub. take the center dash apart and clean the contacts on the back of the fuel gauge. and you can test for ohms there as well.

roscoegriffin 05-08-2012 02:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback - we'll will try this.

Hankncytx 05-09-2012 09:39 AM

For #1), my problem was corroded copper traces in the flexible board material on the back of the gauge cluster. I know how to solder, so I gingerly removed the flex board, cleaned up all of the corrosion, and soldered in some 18 gauge wire to replace the corroded traces. It's like using a jumper wire for an open circuit. Then I used hot glue to hold down the wire right over the old trace. Spray some electronics sealant over the whole thing, and put it back onto the gauge cluster. You should check each segment of copper trace with an ohmmeter or continuity tester. Sometimes you can't see the cracks.

For #5), if cleaning the contacts doesn't work, look for damage caused by corrosion.

Good luck,
Hank

P0234 05-09-2012 10:52 AM

Grab a factory manual. They are $30 for the CD version. They have some of the best wiring diagrams I've seen in a factory manual. I can't imagine trying to troubleshoot without one.

hcarlgolden 07-10-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P0234 (Post 2350651)
Grab a factory manual. They are $30 for the CD version. They have some of the best wiring diagrams I've seen in a factory manual. I can't imagine trying to troubleshoot without one.

I know your post is over a year old. Can you tell me where to find that CD info. I dont paying for something if I am getting the right info. I am looking for the entire wiring diagram for my jeep from bumper to bumper. Thanks for the help. BTW my Jeep is a 03 TJ

indirocz28 07-11-2013 05:13 AM

PM me if you need online service manual hcarl.

indirocz28 07-11-2013 11:15 PM

Hcarl, it won't let me PM you back on here.

hcarlgolden 07-13-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indirocz28 (Post 3953103)
Hcarl, it won't let me PM you back on here.

I was looking for a service manual for my Jeep. I have a
2003 Jeep Wrangler X with 4.0L I6 FI engine. Thanks in advance for the info. My email address is hcarlgolden@gmail.com