Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Transmission rebuild or replace? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/transmission-rebuild-or-replace-32509.html)

alohascuba 06-25-2009 07:04 PM

Transmission rebuild or replace?

Hey folks,

I have a 98 TJ that is breakin my heart. I bought it knowing that the transmission had a problem, but didn't know exactly what the problem was. Seller adjusted the price fairly for undiagnosed problem, so I don't feel that I got robbed. Basic issue- extremely weak coming out of a stop. Tops out at about 45 going uphill, and cannot start from a stop on a hill. Once moving, she does fine. 4WD works like a champ.

After taking it in to the shop, they found significant metal shavings when they pulled off the transmission pan. Rebuild estimate: $1900.

Currently has a 3-speed automatic transmission without overdrive. Should I rebuild the existing transmission, or is there are smarter option? I wonder if I should put in something different.

Thanks!

birdhunter 06-25-2009 08:39 PM

If it was mine I would do a flush and filter change
add lucas trans and get every mile I could

That is way high for a rebuild around here

DallanG 06-25-2009 08:42 PM

When I bought my 98 a few months ago (3 spd auto), it would stall at times when coming to a stop.When pulling out from a stop, the engine would rev & then the trans would clunk into gear.When I put it in reverse, it would make a whirring noise that came up through the shifter.The trans was probably never serviced, & it had 94,000 miles on it. The trans shop said there was alot of metal in the pan, & the torque converter was probably contaminated with metal. It needed a complete rebuild & a new converter. It shifts great now & there are no more oil leaks. The total bill including 6% Pa. sales tax was just over $1,900.00. I also had them service the rears & transfer case & install a new pinion seal in the rear rear. This was included in the total price.

jpoutlaw 06-25-2009 09:44 PM

ouch - look for a retired mechanic that is still doing side jobs.... good luck

Post a wanted ad on Craiglist in your area. You'll find someone.

KBR97 06-26-2009 05:10 AM

I found a place on Ebay in Tennessee called High Gear. They specialize in standard transmissions. I go there number and called them. I got a rebuilt, dyno tested AX15 for $850 shipped, includes return shipping for the core. Was here in NY from tennesee in 2 days.

Ironman 06-26-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBR97 (Post 392777)
I got a rebuilt, dyno tested AX15 for $850 shipped

The AX15 is a manual tranny. He is running an auto. 1900 bucks is a serious chunk of change. This is one of the reasons I stuck with a manual when I did my tranny swap.

Harry 05-30-2012 06:59 AM

I paid 250 to have my 91 wrangler 6 cyl. Transmission & transfer case pulled and new seal install. I think that was a good deal.

herbie 06-01-2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alohascuba (Post 392599)
Hey folks,

I have a 98 TJ that is breakin my heart. I bought it knowing that the transmission had a problem, but didn't know exactly what the problem was. Seller adjusted the price fairly for undiagnosed problem, so I don't feel that I got robbed. Basic issue- extremely weak coming out of a stop. Tops out at about 45 going uphill, and cannot start from a stop on a hill. Once moving, she does fine. 4WD works like a champ.

After taking it in to the shop, they found significant metal shavings when they pulled off the transmission pan. Rebuild estimate: $1900.

Currently has a 3-speed automatic transmission without overdrive. Should I rebuild the existing transmission, or is there are smarter option? I wonder if I should put in something different.

Thanks!

Assuming it starts out in low gear that sounds like torque convertor stator failure wouldnt pull a shit house over but ok on the highway if so needs t q and if full of metal likely due for a build

malexii 06-01-2012 04:11 AM

Had the same problem here. Found a re-manufactured one for $1500 but went with a $1900 one with a three year 50,000 mile warranty. If you have it rebuilt, check what warranty they will give. Every place I checked was different.