Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Spare tire carrier/tailgate hinge issues (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/spare-tire-carrier-tailgate-hinge-issues-327537.html)

That Jeep Guy 10-05-2013 12:38 PM

Spare tire carrier/tailgate hinge issues
 
I would really like to hear from those of you who have mounted heavy wheels/tires on the factory spare tire carrier.

I have read reports of spot welds failing and hinges that have sagged severely and even failed.

I'm not necessarily referring to those who have oversized tires, but to those who have added weight.

The user manual states that the tire carrier can support 50 lbs., but I read that the 18" Sahara wheels with the factory equipped Bridgestone Duellers weighs 69 lbs. and that Rubicon wheel/tire combinations weigh 71 lbs.

I am considering a wheel/tire combination that is closer to 87 lbs. and want to find out how many people are running this kind of weight on the stock carrier without issues and how many have had spot weld, sheet metal, or hinge failure.

Yes, I am already aware that there are after market solutions.

Please chime in with your input.

hair2831 10-05-2013 01:25 PM

I'm running 35" km2's on 17" Trail Ready rims. This combo weighs right at 100lbs. My spare has been on the tailgate for a year and 17k miles. No issues so far with any sagging or broken welds. I did fab up new bumpstop isolators to keep the spare from vibrating or rattling around. I also have an aftermarket rear bumper with a larger spare cutout so I don't have to run any extension bracket off the spare tire carrier.

jkjeeper06 10-05-2013 01:40 PM

Since you are also looking at added weight ill chime in.

I have stock tires but I used to have a ski rack on the back all winter. The rack itself may have weighed 20 pounds and sticks out 18 inches from the tire. I used to carry up to 4 skis or snowboards. So that is also a decent amount of weight, maybe 60 pounds total including the rack and race skis.

Given that it stuck out so far that when it was loaded up I could tell it was wiggling a decent amount when I was on bumpy roads. Also when I opened it and close it I could tell that it was twisting the tailgate a little bit(it didn't quite close the same). This is why I decided to switch to roof racks.

Tires don't stick out quite as far as that rack so it would twist the tailgate less than i experienced. With the tailgate its hit or miss. Some people have issues and some don't. As a general rule the less weight you put on it, the less chance of problems.

Kitebeach 10-05-2013 05:04 PM

I just took my spare off the rear gate as it was rattling quite a bit and I could tell it was getting worse. I have 35's and the ext to accommodate the extra large tire. Think I am going to get an after market rear bumper with tire carrier. Any recommendations?

Bubba2010 10-05-2013 05:34 PM

I'm using Daystar tailgate bump stops and it appears to very solid, nice because you cut to fit. Jut my opinion

OKCRubicon 10-05-2013 05:39 PM

When I first installed my lift and tires I was running my Nitto Terra Grapples 295/70/18 on the stock carrier. It would rattle on every little bump and I was always scared it would break something. I ran it that way for 3 months before I installed the TeraFlex HD hinge and carrier. I highly recommend it. No more issues.

That Jeep Guy 10-06-2013 03:45 AM

Anybody with this installed?
 
I found this while rummaging round the interwebs:

Off Camber Fabrications Spare Tire Reinforcement Kit

Link: Off Camber Fabrications 130903 - Off Camber Fabrications Spare Tire Reinforcement Kit for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Has anyone installed this? Impressions?

What do those of you with any kind of engineering skills think of the concept? Would it really alleviate the extra load and stress factors being placed upon the tailgate, hinges, and stock spare tire carrier by a heavier spare wheel/tire combination?

It would certainly be an inexpensive solution were it to work.

FXnut 10-06-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Jeep Guy (Post 5127745)
I found this while rummaging round the interwebs:

Off Camber Fabrications Spare Tire Reinforcement Kit

Link: Off Camber Fabrications 130903 - Off Camber Fabrications Spare Tire Reinforcement Kit for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Has anyone installed this? Impressions?

What do those of you with any kind of engineering skills think of the concept? Would it really alleviate the extra load and stress factors being placed upon the tailgate, hinges, and stock spare tire carrier by a heavier spare wheel/tire combination?

It would certainly be an inexpensive solution were it to work.


I'm not an engineer, but to me personally this looks rather useless.

If I understand correctly, the spot welds that give are along the top of the seam of the gate, and I can't see any way this device would prevent that or help take the extra weight off the factory hinge, in fact you would be adding more weight to the gate.

I haven't read any reports of guys having the factory tire carry bolts pull through the gate, but if they did, this device would help but I can't see it for anything other than that.

Gimmick! My $0.02 :)

TreyJK 10-06-2013 07:43 AM

Attachment 407913

I had this happen after one wheeling trip with my 35" nitto trail grapplers... Tailgate was fine though

That Jeep Guy 10-06-2013 09:41 AM

Thanks to all who have posted so far
 
It really does appear to be hit or miss. I know two fellow jeepers here with oversized and overweight combos on the factory carrier. One says no issues after almost a year. The other guy's carrier looks like TreyJK's - although he stated that he thinks he "may have backed into a tree".

This has really got my worry up about the heavy tires I had planned on getting. I won't pay the kind of money they are asking for something like an HD hinged carrier just to go up an inch in tire diameter. And I don't want to pay the kind of money Chrysler would want for replacement parts if/when something broke.

Please keep your posts coming as I'd like to know how common this is.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TreyJK (Post 5129913)
Attachment 407913

I had this happen after one wheeling trip with my 35" nitto trail grapplers... Tailgate was fine though

TreyJK - What would you estimate the 35" Nittos and wheel weigh?

DANNY-L 10-06-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKCRubicon (Post 5117985)
When I first installed my lift and tires I was running my Nitto Terra Grapples 295/70/18 on the stock carrier. It would rattle on every little bump and I was always scared it would break something. I ran it that way for 3 months before I installed the TeraFlex HD hinge and carrier. I highly recommend it. No more issues.

I agree,the TF is made strong.

Fwalter 10-06-2013 11:22 AM

My daughter is running 35x12.5 on her original carrier, but hasn't offroaded much, hers is holding for now, I think I'll be setting her up for a reinforcement carrier soon just to be safe. I am running the same and have switched to a rampage rear bumper with tire carrier. I love it, works great, no rattles and no worries of messing up the rear gate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...f6541ca13f.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...e6cf33e1be.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0bb2c48951.jpg

TreyJK 10-06-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Jeep Guy (Post 5132057)
It really does appear to be hit or miss. I know two fellow jeepers here with oversized and overweight combos on the factory carrier. One says no issues after almost a year. The other guy's carrier looks like TreyJK's - although he stated that he thinks he "may have backed into a tree". This has really got my worry up about the heavy tires I had planned on getting. I won't pay the kind of money they are asking for something like an HD hinged carrier just to go up an inch in tire diameter. And I don't want to pay the kind of money Chrysler would want for replacement parts if/when something broke. Please keep your posts coming as I'd like to know how common this is. TreyJK - What would you estimate the 35" Nittos and wheel weigh?

I'd say it's a good 90 to 100 lbs. Those nittos have a lot of heavy rubber!

it_felt_so_good 10-07-2013 05:26 PM

I had a 35/12.5 Toyo Open County A/T II with an 18" Moto Metal 962, weighed in around 95 pounds I believe. Had it on the stock tire carrier from June - October. Went mudding, crawling, & fording with it & have had no problems at all. I recently just replaced my back-end with the ACE rear bumper that comes with a heavy duty tire carrier & after inspecting it my tailgate is perfectly fine. The stock tire carrier doesn't have any cracks or anything either.

As others have said, it is a total hit or miss though. Some people have no problems at all & others have all the problems in the world. Just depends how lucky you are I guess. Lol.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.