Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Brakes for stock 2005 Wrangler LJ (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/brakes-for-stock-2005-wrangler-lj-327681.html)

Rrp0968 10-05-2013 02:56 PM

Brakes for stock 2005 Wrangler LJ

Want to get some opinions on brakes for my 2005 Wrangler Unlimited. Just for the record, I do not mud it or do any heavy rock crawling or wheeling. The only off-roading I do is very light trails and dirt roads in the woods. 4WD rarely gets used. I mostly use the Jeep to put the top down and enjoy the weather on nice sunny days. The Jeep currently has about 50,000 miles on it.

With that being said.....I have a leaking axle seal in the front and rear.....and the rear pinion seal is leaking. Axle seals are not leaking that bad and they could ride longer..... But the rear pinion is leaking like a sieve and slinging oil onto the exhaust and undercarriage of the Jeep.

While I have the axles out replacing seals and bearings, I am also going to replace ujoints and brakes. No sense putting the old stuff back in when I will have it off already.

Since my Jeep is bone stock and not used off-road, would the Black Magic Brakes be overkill. I do not mind spending the extra coin for them, but if there would be no noticeable difference in daily driving, are there other options that may suit me better?

My plan is to replace all four rotors and pads, front axle u joints and seals, rear seals and bearings and I am thinking of replacing the ujoints on both drive shafts as well as the shocks.

Thoughts on brakes....what should I get????

Ron

blackwidow05 10-05-2013 03:05 PM

On my Jeep I run the Cmax Duralast from autozone and have had no problem with them. Brake dust is really low compared to others I have used in the past and they are very quiet being its ceramic vs semi metallic that can sometimes be noisy. I also have notice much better rotor wear running a ceramic brake.

Rubicon06Va 10-05-2013 03:38 PM

My opinion, install posi quiet pads with centric premium rotors. I bought mind from online web for $215 total for all 4, 2yrs ago. When they showed up at front door, it was joy. Quality for the price will be unmatched. Install yourself, i couldnt believe how easy it was.

UnlimitedLJ04 10-05-2013 03:49 PM

Black Magic Brakes would be the best choice.

Big Sarge 10-05-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 5115817)
Black Magic Brakes would be the best choice.

Not for what he does and a completely stock jeep. They are awesome brakes, but not needed in this situation.

GingerTJ 10-05-2013 04:15 PM

I turned my rotors (stock) and used Wagner ceramic brake pads. Doesn't squeak, wasn't expensive and stops nicely.

GingerTJ 10-05-2013 04:15 PM

Advanced auto parts.

Rrp0968 10-05-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 5116281)
Not for what he does and a completely stock jeep. They are awesome brakes, but not needed in this situation.

Kinda what I was thinking.....I think I am going to try the Centric Premium Rotors and Posi Quiets all around.

UnlimitedRubicon 10-05-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Not for what he does

I would disagree. Where do you need good brakes more than on the street?

Quote:

and a completely stock jeep.

I installed EBC yellows (before knowing about BMB) and they are just adequate for the OEM 31" tire. A Completely stock Wrangler is where the BMB pads would shine.

UnlimitedLJ04 10-05-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

wrong. good brakes are for everyone.

Big Sarge 10-05-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 5124913)
wrong. good brakes are for everyone.

We will get in contact with Chrysler ASAP and let them know that all Jeeps are sub standard then because they don't have black magic brakes. Hell, maybe we can all get them replaced under a recall. Come on guys, it is a stock Jeep, factory replacement brakes are more than fine and safe.

Moabrubi 10-05-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 5125297)
We will get in contact with Chrysler ASAP and let them know that all Jeeps are sub standard then because they don't have black magic brakes. Hell, maybe we can all get them replaced under a recall. Come on guys, it is a stock Jeep, factory replacement brakes are more than fine and safe.

So by your logic stopping better is pointless because it's stock?

Big Sarge 10-05-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moabrubi (Post 5125361)
So by your logic stopping better is pointless because it's stock?

Not at all!! My point is that while superior in the off road world and with over sized tires, BMB are not needed to render a stock Jeep safe. The stock replacement brakes will stop it as they did when the passed federal crash tests. I'm not saying BMB are not good, just not needed in this scenario.

UnlimitedLJ04 10-05-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

We will get in contact with Chrysler ASAP and let them know that all Jeeps are sub standard

my bone stock LJ's brakes with 31s was dangerous. dangerous brakes to you is somehow acceptable?

EBC Yellows + Centric rotors with the same setup was better, but it was still mediocre at best.

I now run the Vanco 15" kit w/ 48mm calipers...and IMHO, this is how the heavier LJ should have come from the factory. It finally stops like it should have from the factory - and this setup stops better than the stock stuff even though it's got bigger tires & weighs a few hundred lbs more.

Stock brakes on the LJ SUCK. Black Magic pads on the stock calipers is the best choice if you care about your safety and the safety of those you share the road with - no matter what tire size you have.

Big Sarge 10-05-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 5125649)
my bone stock LJ's brakes with 31s was dangerous. dangerous brakes to you is somehow acceptable? EBC Yellows + Centric rotors with the same setup was better, but it was still mediocre at best. I now run the Vanco 15" kit w/ 48mm calipers...and IMHO, this is how the heavier LJ should have come from the factory. It finally stops like it should have from the factory - and this setup stops better than the stock stuff even though it's got bigger tires & weighs a few hundred lbs more. Stock brakes on the LJ SUCK. Black Magic pads on the stock calipers is the best choice if you care about your safety and the safety of those you share the road with - no matter what tire size you have.

What grounds determine them dangerous? You have pictures of an accident and the accident report saying your stock brakes were at fault? I say again that I am aware that BMB are great brakes. And while they might stop better than what you had from the factory, by no means, renders the stock brakes unsafe. I was stationed in Germany for 13 years and can promise you that inspections there are far more intense than any that one could fathom here in the US. I've seen Jeeps with umm oh my goodness stock brakes pass inspections there. Allowing them on the German autobahn. Congratulations on your choice to purchase Blaine's brakes and I'm glad you're happy with them. They are not required to make a stock jeep "SAFE".

UnlimitedLJ04 10-05-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 5125777)
What grounds determine them dangerous? You have pictures of an accident and the accident report saying your stock brakes were at fault? I say again that I am aware that BMB are great brakes. And while they might stop better than what you had from the factory, by no means, renders the stock brakes unsafe. I was stationed in Germany for 13 years and can promise you that inspections there are far more intense than any that one could fathom here in the US. I've seen Jeeps with umm oh my goodness stock brakes pass inspections there. Allowing them on the German autobahn. Congratulations on your choice to purchase Blaine's brakes and I'm glad you're happy with them. They are not required to make a stock jeep "SAFE".

hey, you don't want the best brakes you can buy. I get it. You don't want to be able to stop as good as you could - that's your choice.

But don't force that idiocy on other people.

Big Sarge 10-05-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 5125849)
hey, you don't want the best brakes you can buy. I get it. You don't want to be able to stop as good as you could - that's your choice.

Not forcing anything on anyone! The OP asked for opinions. He got them! Both mine and yours.

Now excuse me while I go lay black marks from skidding tires with my mediocre brakes!:lmao:

UnlimitedRubicon 10-05-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Come on guys, it is a stock Jeep, factory replacement brakes are more than fine and safe.

"Safe" is debatable. "More than fine" is outright false. The TJ's OEM brakes are horrible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 5125777)
What grounds determine them dangerous?

Driving it?

Timelord83 10-05-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 5125849)

I have no issues with my stock brakes and I've put them to a number of test so far with 31's. It stops just as fast as my mothers 07 Sonata or i'd have stopped in her back seat when she locked them up for bambi and i was following to close.

Another incident i was driving home through one of the small towns and had two cars ahead of me. the first car in line stopped to make a left the car behind him was to busy staring at the mid 20's chick with huge bouncing boobs on her jog and realized way to late re-ended the car in front of him I stopped inches from his bumper and the Express cargo van behind me was sideways to stop in time.

So stock brakes are not UNSAFE, as long as they are maintained like any else.

Big Sarge 10-05-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedRubicon (Post 5125961)
"Safe" is debatable. "More than fine" is outright false. The TJ's OEM brakes are horrible.

Driving it?

Again that is your opinion! I trust the OP will make the right decision.

SurfKaster 10-05-2013 11:53 PM

If I had the extra $$$ lying around I'd lean BMB, but a good set of pads gets the job done too. Hell I don't have ABS, pull a boat routinely, run a set of the cheaper autozone pads, & have never thought 'sh@t I can't stop'.

Dusty Rhodes 10-06-2013 09:02 AM

I have always been a proponent of installing the best brakes you can afford within the parameters of practicality. When I need to replace my brakes I will use mid-grade (cost) pads and drilled/slotted/vented Centric rotors.
When I had my CJ-5 I upgraded the fronts to drilled 11" self adjusting drums. The difference was impressive.

Two things one should never compromise, or do half-arsed: Brakes & Steering. Everything else is secondary and you can repair it with duct tape and chewing gum if you desire.

Atthehop 10-06-2013 09:08 AM

I put 200k on my YJ and have over 120k on my TJ all running stock brakes on a stock jeep with 31's. Never had the need to upgrade since it's just a dd. Just my 2 cents.

UnlimitedLJ04 10-06-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atthehop (Post 5131353)
Never had the need to upgrade since it's just a dd.

but that's exactly when you need the best brakes you can get.

Atthehop 10-06-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 5131449)
but that's exactly when you need the best brakes you can get.

Why, just to drive my dog to the park and back. They work fine and being unemployed every dime saved puts food on the table. I would spend the money if necessary but since it's not necessary stock brakes are fine.

rmercado 10-06-2013 09:25 AM

Sometime getting the best is not really feasible, but when Black Magic costs a "few dinners" more than stock, why not? Understand if you are on a extremely tight budget. Just my opinion.

NJO 10-06-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 5125649)

Stock brakes on the LJ SUCK. Black Magic pads on the stock calipers is the best choice if you care about your safety and the safety of those you share the road with - no matter what tire size you have.

This is a farce and untrue. Stock 4 disc brakes on the LJ are actually very good. And assuming a fresh set of brakes PROPERLY MAINTAINED(Which most people do NOT do), I would have no issues using stock OEM pads,rotors and calipers on 33's either. 35's I would start looking at upgraded pads on a budget, calipers and rotors with no budget in mind.

I also highly disagree that the $125 dollar rebranded "Black Magic" brakes are the best. One member of my club runs them in the front of his TJ and his TJ doesn't stop nearly as well as my LJ which weighs more. Why is that? Could it be because he only has disc in front and drums in the rear? He has BMB pads and centric rotors, which are the "best"......

Granted not all brake pads are equal in performance or longevity. But BM's are nothing more than an off the shelf pad with better cold and hot bite vs. a fresh set of OEM pads with less longevity. There are plenty of other pads out there that have that same performance criteria without the obscene $125 price too like the Raybestos AT brake pads in ceramic or semi metallic..........both can be had for under $40-50 a set shipped and have incredible pads with lots of cold/hot linear gripping power. Centric makes some great brake pads too. Their OE pads are fantastic as well as their fleet pads.

Having good pads is one part of the equation, but a second is all in how you break in and season the pads and rotors as well. Most people don't bother with this step on getting the most from their equipment.

distortedtj 10-06-2013 10:45 AM

• Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, or fan flames. Voice you opinion respectfully and then let it go. -- WranglerForum community rules.