Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   black rubber plugs (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/black-rubber-plugs-328809.html)

mikeyp03 10-06-2013 10:13 AM

black rubber plugs

So I've decided to remove my 35" spare from the tailgate until I either get a rear bumper, or the teraflex reinforcement kit.

I kept seeing it bouncing, and making horrible noises, and I couldnt take it anymore lol....I figured it would rip off the tailgate if I left it any longer.

So now I have the hole from the brake light wire grommet and the 2 rubber bumper holes in the tailgate.
Where can I find the black rubber plugs to fill in those holes. Anyone have any ideas?

Oh and there is no way I'm using the UFO's I cant see spending almost 40 bucks on 3 little plastic plugs......

Lusus_Naturae 10-06-2013 10:21 AM

Look at Autozone, O'Reilly's, Napa for a master cylinder plug. I think I found mine when just browsing Autozone by the trailer parts section.

Txrdstr 10-06-2013 10:25 AM

Ace hardware, by all the nut and bolt bins, they have plugs, found mine by the desk hole plugs for couple dollars.

mikeyp03 10-06-2013 10:44 AM

Beautiful thanks guys!
I have an ACE 5 mins from me so I'll check there first, then NAPA and Autozone if I have to.

mikeyp03 10-06-2013 02:53 PM

So 2 ace hardware a near me didn't have them. Napa was closed and I dont feel like trying autozone today. Friggin horrible.
Ace had rubber grommets with the holes in them, but I'm looking for the solid ones which it almost seems like no ones ever heard of.

brighton 10-06-2013 03:42 PM

I found these plastic plugs at Lowes. For the bump stop holes, get the 9/16" size, fits nice and snug:

Shop The Hillman Group 2-Pack Plastic Hole Plugs at Lowes.com

mikeyp03 10-06-2013 04:56 PM

Those fit in the bumper holes?
My bumper holes look like ovals... Will the plastic flex enough?

brighton 10-06-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyp03 (Post 5139017)
Those fit in the bumper holes?
My bumper holes look like ovals... Will the plastic flex enough?

That's why the 9/16" fits better than 1/2". They will flex enough that the 9/16" completely covers the hole and is snug. They were cheap enough that I bought both sizes. However, you can use the 1/2" also, especially if it's a temporary fix.

With the Teraflex HD hinge and carrier, one of the holes isn't used. Although it's behind the hinge, I didn't want to worry about water getting into the tailgate.

Lusus_Naturae 10-17-2013 05:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was cleaning out the Jeep box tonight - found an extra set of plugs, one for the third brake light hole (I think) and one for the oval hole (can't remember what that was).

The round one is on the left side of the tire carrier, the oval is behind the carrier on the edge of the right side.

The oval one I have pushed in from the outside, so from outside it looks like it does in the photo. The round one I have pushed in from the inside, I took off the plastic panel on the inside of the tailgate and pushed it in place from inside the tailgate.

Pretty sure I got the oval one at Autozone, but it could have been O'Reilly's and maybe Napa (I don't remember a trip to Napa though).