Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Shocks (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/shocks-329129.html)

Collin515 10-06-2013 12:29 PM

Shocks

I have an 07 rubicon and need help with shocks. I bought a rubicon express 2.5" lift kit with no shocks, buying 35s next week and need a set of shocks that won't ride too rough. It's my DD and I do some moderate off-roading on occasion, a little crawling and more mudding.

Also, someone is also giving me some 3" blocks, I'm assuming it's going to be just a body lift. Good or bad idea to add this in the mix? And what kind of extra parts can I expect to replace with adding all this?

I'm also open to advice on tires, I'm only looking at more aggressive ATs for the extra mileage as opposed to MTs. I'm told 4 wheel parts has a big sale next weekend, so I'll buy then.

I bought the Jeep in July and this is my first time modding, thanks for the help

hooper 10-06-2013 10:13 PM

If you are waiting on the 4wp parts sale I would get the best Pro Comp shocks (don't know name/model) but the are good shocks. Also I run Pro Comp MT 2 tires on my jeep and love them. You should be able to get a good deal because of the sale. I would add 1/2 to 3/4 spacer/level to front and forget about body lift. The 2.5" lift is fine for 35" tires. If you are running stock wheels you will need spacers for you tires or they will rub when you turn. You will need around 4.5" of backspace.

tab22092 10-07-2013 12:06 AM

For shocks i highly recommend rancho. Thats all my rig will ever see. The 9000's are an adjustable type shock so you set them to your liking. And the 7000's (which i personally run) are a high performance monotube shock. Both are amazing products. Both myself and kjeeper have a thread on the 7000's if you feel like giving it a read and there are plenty of reviews on the 9000's as they are a little mor popular. I believe (could be wrong) that rancho is still having their buy 3 get one free rebate for their shocks right now. Go rancho or go home! Lol

dawhitesJKU 10-07-2013 12:17 AM

You can also pair it up with Rubicon Express' monotube shocks. They are retuned bilsteins and I speak highly of them. Check out my thread on RE 2.5 kit. I would not purchase pro comp ever again. I spent xx amount on money on my 07 tundra. Procomp coil overs w/mx6 adjustables, pro comp 18 chrome wheels, and pro comp 35 xtreme mt2.

Mx6 shocks don't feel any different when you adjust from hard/soft, aesthetically rusts easily (living in socal)
Pro comp wheels started losing the first coating of clear coat and water spots are horrid unless you clean em up every week.
The tires are loud, and heavy but wears evenly/seem to last long (sold the truck a few years ago)

Their truck line is superior to the jk products however I speak from first hand experience, so hence, "I would not purchase pro comp ever again"

bassjku87 10-07-2013 12:38 AM

i have the bilstein shocks with my lift. it actually feels smoother than stock, i highly recommend them

1Topp 10-07-2013 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassjku87 (Post 5152017)
i have the bilstein shocks with my lift. it actually feels smoother than stock, i highly recommend them

:thumb:

tab22092 10-07-2013 09:21 AM

Op i cant tell if you have a jku or jk but the members commenting about the bilsteins have jkus with more mor un sprung weight than the 2 doors. I found the bilsteins to be terribly stiff in the 2 doorsz

4wheelfun 10-07-2013 12:39 PM

:iamhappy:
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Topp (Post 5153809)
:thumb:

I went with Bilsteins myself and had a good experience through Bilsteinoffroad.com