Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Why Do Jeeps Get Bad Gas Mileage (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/why-do-jeeps-get-bad-gas-mileage-32948.html)

PHIXIOUS 07-07-2009 01:20 AM

Why Do Jeeps Get Bad Gas Mileage

Why is that Jeeps get bad gas mileage. Even With the newer JKs its still not that great. Is it because of the weight of them or just bad engine design...I mean I know quite a few of people swap motors into their jeeps. Would adding simple bolt ons help with the gaining mpg?

Sorry but I am new to the Jeep side.

tiny terror 07-07-2009 01:31 AM

What engine exactly are they swapping in to get good gas mileage?

PHIXIOUS 07-07-2009 01:36 AM

Im not saying that the swaps they are doing are giving them good gas mileage I just know people are swapping motors insted of sticking with the stock motor.

My friends grampa has a TJ Rubicon that he is planning on swapping in a V8, dont know what V8 that he said would give him a little more mpg over with a little more power. IDK

tiny terror 07-07-2009 01:45 AM

Most V8's will suck more gas than the stock V6 in the JK. My I6 gets comparable gas mileage to other vehicles in it's class, so no jeeps don't get bad gas mileage due to poor design. If you want better gas mileage, you can gear it, but you won't climb anything which is what the jeep is designed to do.

PHIXIOUS 07-07-2009 01:53 AM

Oh ok. What about the basic bolt ons? Will that help with gas mileage or will it be the same, (normal daily driving) ? Just wondering cause we just bought a 2006 TJ/LJ Rubicon Unlimited to take to the trail as well as one of our daily drivers.

Its not really that big of a deal to get crazy good gas mileage out of the jeep but it would be a plus if there is a way to obtain somewhat better than stock.

tiny terror 07-07-2009 01:56 AM

Definitely not if you're planning on lifting it, adding armor, adding larger tires, etc. And the "basic" mods for gas consumption or power we hear about over and over again are what Jerry Bransford calls snake oil. Haven't seen anything real to get better than stock gas mileage.

PHIXIOUS 07-07-2009 02:07 AM

Thanks for all the help. So other than gearing it there pretty much is nothing that you can do?

See my buddys gramps jeep is lifted with the Rubicon Express lift kit and 37s I believe and he was saying something about how he had to re-gear it with different gear ratios to get it to run like stock to componsate for the bigger tires. Is there some kind of formula or some kind of way of figuring how to do that?

spanky 07-07-2009 05:18 AM

im not reading one word into this thread... i just wanna say....

DID YOU JUST REALLY ASK THAT ??

skeeter 07-07-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHIXIOUS (Post 397838)
Thanks for all the help. So other than gearing it there pretty much is nothing that you can do?

See my buddys gramps jeep is lifted with the Rubicon Express lift kit and 37s I believe and he was saying something about how he had to re-gear it with different gear ratios to get it to run like stock to componsate for the bigger tires. Is there some kind of formula or some kind of way of figuring how to do that?

He had to re-gear it because the larger tires raised the gear ratio, he had to lower the gear ratio. Somebody else can give you the correct gear ratio for a given tire size but even that won't help.
The Jeep Wrangler gets poor mileage because it's got the aerodynamics of a large brick, it's also somewhat heavier than a comparably sized unibody vehicle. Unless your tires are stock size you're also pushing considerably more rolling resistance.
The only way you're going to get a significant improvement in MPG would be to swap in a diesel engine.

Geoff@Bestop 07-07-2009 10:33 AM

The things you would do when making a car for high gas mileage. If you do enough of these, your Wrangler will look exactly like a Honda Insight. They're all exactly the opposite of a Jeep.

-- Small, relatively low-torque engine.
-- Tall gears (low revs for higher speeds)
-- high pressure, narrow tires.
-- front wheel drive
-- low weight
-- low to ground
-- smooth aerodynamics. Which would mean:
no bumps, protuberances, racks, antenna, cloth tops, open grills, winches. Smooth,
integrated bumpers. Smooth, covered wheel wells. Ground effects with no exposed steering bits. Low front end and higher rear end to smooth the air flow.

john's ct jeep 07-07-2009 10:40 AM

gee, i thought that i get great gas milage with the jk 08 4dr. but then again i am comparing it to my f350 one ton deisel that i tow my 9,000 pound camper. :D

donnie 07-07-2009 10:47 AM

Maybe its just me but when I got mine, I knew it wasnt going to be the best mileage freindly vehicle on the road.
Im happy with what I get with my 09 4 dr Sahara, which has been between 16-18 since I got it in May. Which I feel is dam good for something that weighs around 4500 #.
IMHO, if I wanted something that got good mileage, I would have gotten another brand of 4x but then it wouldnt be a Jeep.

Dare2BSquare 07-07-2009 10:56 AM

Bad gas mileage is the tax we jeepers pay on fun!!! :D:D:D

jdhallissey 07-07-2009 11:03 AM

I don't even care, I get 18mpg one tank then 15 the next. I don't even think about it. Not worth thinking about it.

G-Pur 07-07-2009 11:19 AM

Jeeps get bad gas mileage because they're shaped like bricks, and weigh over two tons. Plain and simple.

dylan 07-07-2009 11:21 AM

15-18 MPG and way more smiles-from-girls-PG than everything else.

I can live. :D

Scuba Dude 07-07-2009 11:25 AM

You may want to check on available programmers. You can change shifting points, power, gas mileage and speedo/tire size settings. Usually around 3 to 400 bucks. I have yet to use one, maybe someone on here has. I get worse mileage in my Jeep than my F250 4dr. 4x4 diesel (which I just got rid of) getting the same but GMC..

Levinoss 07-07-2009 11:29 AM

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6...ick0554334.jpg

Brick! We drive them...

N39-W120 07-07-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dylan (Post 397975)
15-18 MPG and way more smiles-from-girls-PG than everything else.

I can live. :D

^^^
What he said...... I have never seen this happen to a Prius
http://home.off-road.com/~degrojl/Hooter_in_May.jpg

jdhallissey 07-07-2009 01:31 PM

^ don't see anything except to hot girls and a horny old guy? Is there a jeep here :D

daggo66 07-07-2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHIXIOUS (Post 397827)
Why is that Jeeps get bad gas mileage. Even With the newer JKs its still not that great. Is it because of the weight of them or just bad engine design...I mean I know quite a few of people swap motors into their jeeps. Would adding simple bolt ons help with the gaining mpg?

Sorry but I am new to the Jeep side.

If you are looking for good gas mileage, do not look at a 4WD SUV.

morphious 07-07-2009 03:05 PM

i thought i got good gas mileage but then again I'm used to a 77 k5 blazer i can go every were i could with that and i get better mileage i love my jeep if u want an 4x4 u get to pay the price and n39-w120 has a point i have never seen a prius do that by the way were can i get some of those for mine

Geoff@Bestop 07-07-2009 04:48 PM

I modified my Chevy Sprint to get great gas mileage, and it attracts chicks too.

http://www.bestop.com/images/aux14/hippie.jpg

jlawor 07-08-2009 02:13 PM

If gas milage was my concern I would never have purchased a Jeep.
It's a Jeep!

dogsnhorses 07-08-2009 02:31 PM

I am getting close to 20 hwy on my 08 rubi. I don't hammer on the gas though.
Gear ratio, compare it to a compact car....nothing more to say.

I figure the extra price at the pump is way cheaper than front end work, replacing wheels, tie rodes, alignments etc from all the freakin potholes on the road! I've been right, FIL replaced 3 tires on his prius this winter. I think I am money ahead and I have waaay more fun

morphious 07-08-2009 10:37 PM

nice that's funny why three tires is he that bad a driver or what

dogsnhorses 07-09-2009 09:13 AM

We are in IL. Potholes and crappy road construction that never ends. (wish they'd repair roads like they do in WI, faster and probably alot better)

FIL has a seventy mile each way commute to work. And yeah after the thaw/freeze crap this past winter, the roads were horrid.

When I got my jeep we dumped a malibu that after 2 years had this weird part on the arms/tire rods replaced twice (I think it was a factory/design defect) front end always out of alignment and there were lots of Oh F from me because at times the dang holes were just unavoidable, they took up the whole road, no going around them.

Levinoss 07-09-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogsnhorses (Post 398840)
We are in IL. Potholes and crappy road construction that never ends. (wish they'd repair roads like they do in WI, faster and probably alot better)

FIL has a seventy mile each way commute to work. And yeah after the thaw/freeze crap this past winter, the roads were horrid.

When I got my jeep we dumped a malibu that after 2 years had this weird part on the arms/tire rods replaced twice (I think it was a factory/design defect) front end always out of alignment and there were lots of Oh F from me because at times the dang holes were just unavoidable, they took up the whole road, no going around them.

Tennessee and Kentucky really seem to have nice roads. At least the western parts..

Loic 07-10-2009 01:09 PM

talking about a brick.....i have a land rover discovery II , i love it but it's heavy as hell. even with the big V8 it's slow. 1 get 17mpg on HWY with it..

4.0l sahara 07-10-2009 10:45 PM

lol it's a brick.