Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Experienced t.p.s. Adjustment (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/experienced-t-p-s-adjustment-33010.html)

yjking 07-08-2009 10:38 AM

Experienced t.p.s. Adjustment

hello everyone , can anybody tell me how to adjust the TPS on my 2.5 89 yj, i changed it bet seems to have a dead spot in the throttle between 1000 -2000 rpm, im hoping its just an adjustment . thanks !:crash:

yjking 07-09-2009 12:44 PM

okay nobody knows??:confused::confused:....can somebody check there tps output voltage at closed throttle & at wide open. surely someone can handle that. thanks in advance.:punk:

yjking 07-10-2009 09:31 AM

this plea for help was no help at all. THANKS ALLOT:9lame:

morphious 07-10-2009 10:19 AM

i wish i could help only have the 6 but i would say if theirs a throttle position sensor then i would just try and replace that

yjking 07-15-2009 02:44 PM

its a new sensor need to adjust it properly:crash:

morphious 07-15-2009 05:24 PM

well when u put in the sensor did u have to attach it and then turn it to get the holes to line up if u did try to install it by turning the sensor the other direction i dont have tps on my jeep but on my camaro i had to ways i could put it on one set the idel at 1500 rpms the other 1000 but other then that i don't think theirs a way to tune them

yjking 07-16-2009 02:39 AM

thanks but i found instructions and adjusted the tps right , but still not running right in closed loop ,really rich i have to give it 3/4 of the throttle so it has power ,also burned 1/3 tank of gas in 5 miles ,i have noticed that when i turn off the engine it kinda shakes ??? all this started after a tune up and power washed the engine i should have left it alone:doh:

morphious 07-16-2009 06:29 AM

that's called dieseling it means the motors trying to run after u shut it off i have never had i happen in a jeep only in a Chevy and i never did figure out what caused it sorry i couldn't help more but at least u know what to call it

tlrrob1000 07-18-2009 12:22 AM

Dry out your cap and rotor. Also check and make sure you put the plug wires in the right order. When you get water in you distributor cap it messes with way it fires.

Stumpy 07-18-2009 12:48 AM

Had same shutter and running backwards after shut down on a ford truck, changed to high test and it immediately stopped. May be it will help you. You can also look at the timing. Retarding it will sometimes stip this problem also. Good Luck

yjking 07-19-2009 02:13 PM

after many new parts i went to the dealer,he thought it was a no brainer ,and i was a idiot!!!! :rofl:!! so he started looking and looking and before long i had five or six technicians scratching there heads in disbelieve. all i could is try to control my laughter i may have not solved my problem but it was worth it ,i took it and didn't give them a dime for their trouble they just wanted me to go :rofl: .after getting home and was watching it idle i happened to lean on the positive cable on the battery and it was very hot right away i knew my problem was electrical so i had my alternator tested and sure enough it had a bad voltage regulator it was sending 40 amps all the time causing all sorts of problems maybe overheating the computer for two months , i heard these are resilient but wow , all that because of a stupid little part. thanks all for your input. :cool: