Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/)
-   -   American Made 15" Steel Wheels 2011 JKU (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/american-made-15-steel-wheels-2011-jku-332681.html)

Tatchin 10-08-2013 05:58 PM

American Made 15" Steel Wheels 2011 JKU

2 Attachment(s)
I struggled with the 15-16-17" wheel decision when I decided to replace my stock 18" pizza cutters.
DTD has some nice options, but in the end I decided to search high and low to find some American made steel wheels in 15" with 33x12.5x15 Duratracs.
I found Bassett Racing in Wisconsin makes DOT approved black or chrome wheels to order - you can get 15x10 if you want.
I went with 15x8 black wheels with 4" back spacing without problems. They do require special lug nuts (45 degree chamfer nuts) but it was surprisingly less expensive than off the shelf options.
I do not work for Bassett, Goodyear, or any other Jeep product company. I just sympathize with anyone looking to spend their hard earned cash on an American product.

TJ-Tom 10-08-2013 06:11 PM

Nice - looking at a similar setup but black lug nuts - how much for the wheels?

Tatchin 10-08-2013 10:42 PM

Wheels where's shipped to my door with lugs for $88

Tatchin 10-08-2013 10:44 PM

Wheels were $88 each, including lugs and shipping. I think the wheels were about $70 and the lugs about $7.50 and they do not gouge for shipping.

pacu44 10-09-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatchin (Post 5200913)
I struggled with the 15-16-17" wheel decision when I decided to replace my stock 18" pizza cutters.
DTD has some nice options, but in the end I decided to search high and low to find some American made steel wheels in 15" with 33x12.5x15 Duratracs.
I found Bassett Racing in Wisconsin makes DOT approved black or chrome wheels to order - you can get 15x10 if you want.
I went with 15x8 black wheels with 4" back spacing without problems. They do require special lug nuts (45 degree chamfer nuts) but it was surprisingly less expensive than off the shelf options.
I do not work for Bassett, Goodyear, or any other Jeep product company. I just sympathize with anyone looking to spend their hard earned cash on an American product.

I had given up hope on this wheel in 15...

PM sent...

Tatchin 10-09-2013 08:03 PM

Sent you a reply - I had almost given up hope as well :) fortunately, I found Bassett.

pacu44 10-09-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatchin (Post 5236057)
Sent you a reply - I had almost given up hope as well :) fortunately, I found Bassett.

thanks, sent one more question...

Jeep looks GREAT!!!! :jawdrop:

TJ-Tom 10-09-2013 08:16 PM

I found these as well...

Rugged Ridge Steel D-Window Wheels for Jeep Wrangler and Jeep CJ

Tatchin 10-09-2013 08:34 PM

I looked at those, and originally wanted to go with them. I saw that some people posted that the punch out windows left metal that rubbed against the brake calipers, and some jeepers needed to use grinders to make them fit. I don't mind breaking out my angle grinder, I love to use it, but I was trying to avoid any caliper grinding.

TJ-Tom 10-09-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatchin (Post 5237121)
I looked at those, and originally wanted to go with them. I saw that some people posted that the punch out windows left metal that rubbed against the brake calipers, and some jeepers needed to use grinders to make them fit. I don't mind breaking out my angle grinder, I love to use it, but I was trying to avoid any caliper grinding.

well that sure is good to know - I want turkey so will avoid these - thanks

Tatchin 10-09-2013 08:37 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that I originally ordered a single wheel. I actually put my Jeep on jack stands and tried the wheel on all four corners before I ordered the other 4 wheels. I am OC, but it works well for mods :)

TJ-Tom 10-10-2013 08:09 AM

Pretty well settled on the wheels - just waffling a bit on tire selection.

Would you care to provide feedback on your Duratrac experience thus far? How is the road noise, handling, feel, etc.?

Thanks

Tatchin 10-10-2013 08:45 AM

Yeah, I know it might seem a bit silly to some people, but besides being one of the more popular tires on mod Jeeps, the Duratracs are still made in the USA - which influenced my decision.

That being said, I have been very pleasantly surprised with these tires. The road noise is music to my ears - just a little bit of hum from the treads, enough to remind me that I've got some serious tires on my Jeep, and I like that. The Jeep sits up better, I haven't noticed a significant mpg drop (maybe 0.2 mpg?) and I watch it closely. The most important, surprising change is the ride. I haven't had a teeth-chattering hit on a pothole or bump since the tires went on. The high sidewall and C load rating make for a little bouncy, much smoother ride.

My second choice in 33x12.5x15 would have been the BFGs, as I've had them in the past and they are great tires. What made my decision is that the BFGs in my experience were not the best in the snow, and since I live in the Northeast, I went with the Goodyears. The snow rating is excellent for these - I'll certainly find out soon.

TJ-Tom 10-10-2013 09:45 AM

Great and thanks for sharing.

My main driver for new tires is winter conditions. I am up North in Canada and we can get quite a lot of snow in my region. This is my foul weather vehicle so I want capability. Also would like to play off road once winter abates ;)

I was a torn between BFG and Duratrac and based in your feedback I think my mind is made up. Time to spend some $$$

Thanks for all of your Help.

Tom

TJ-Tom 10-27-2013 03:17 PM

Duratracs on 15' Steel Rims

3 Attachment(s)
Weill I finally found a source and the combo that suited me.

A local shop "Just Jeeps" (as the names says, they do just Jeeps) was able to set me up with a nice combo for a decent price.

Duratracs are 235/75R15. I decided to stay close the OEM spec to 1) avoid complicating things and 2) next sizes up that might work are back ordered in this region until December. Tires were CDN $194.95 a piece which is as good as I could find anywhere.

Rims are ProComp 98 Series 5x7 and 3 1/2 Backspace. Also a good deal for CDN $74.95 each.

They included mounting, balancing, installation and even took the old garbage tires and rims off my hands :) Throw in some Caps and Black Lug Nuts and all is good.

I think it all worked out well. Going from 225 to 235 in combination with the slightly more aggressive rim gives it a bit more stance. I am really happy with the ride and expect they will serve me well through the winter.

I recommend these tires :)

Cheers.

Tatchin 10-29-2013 08:20 AM

Nice set up TJ-Tom -- I'll bet those work like monsters in snow.

TJ-Tom 10-29-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatchin (Post 5731194)
Nice set up TJ-Tom -- I'll bet those work like monsters in snow.

I'm looking forward to it :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App