Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   More aggressive road tires (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/more-aggressive-road-tires-33611.html)

hawkzrno1 07-22-2009 09:45 AM

More aggressive road tires

Looking for a more aggressive road tire for
wifeys 2006 Wrangler X.
Good all around road tire that would be good in winter
that won't break the bank.
TIA, Craig.:D

Sb5551 07-22-2009 09:47 AM

BFG all-terrains are awesome in the snow and aggressive. Kinda pricey, but last forever with proper maintenance.

jpdocdave 07-22-2009 09:48 AM

bfg long trail would be more for the road, if it isn't gonna see any trails. bfg all terrains look great though.

Dare2BSquare 07-22-2009 01:52 PM

I love the General Grabber AT2's that I just bought. They look a lot like the BFG's but are a little cheaper.

JDsDream 07-22-2009 02:24 PM

I'm sold on the Goodyear Dura-Trac, smooth road handling, offroad capable easy clean tread and agressive appearance. Love em!!!

swkenobi 07-22-2009 02:34 PM

I picked up the new Big O AT with a much more aggressive pattern and love it. Been off-road and on through sun and snow, no issues.

MCDavis 07-22-2009 02:40 PM

Not being a wisenheimer, but more aggressive than what? What's she currently running?

The dealer I bought my LJ from put Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country's on it before I bought it. Honestly, it's a great street tire and also does pretty well off road (they've been through mud and over rocks with no problems, but nothing major on either account). There's another Uni Laredo (AWT or something) that looks more aggressive than that and ought to be less than the BFG AT's.

Jerry Bransford 07-22-2009 02:49 PM

Whatever type of tire you choose, a siped tire will perform MUCH better in the winter when the paved roads are slick from ice or snow. Find tires that are siped and choose from them, or find unsiped tires you like and have a tire store sipe them for you. I had my previous BFG MT tires then my current GY MT/R tires siped for $10 per tire at one of my local Discount Tire stores. Not all tire shops have tire siping machines though. :)

bgsjdg 07-22-2009 04:48 PM

I put the BF Goodrich KO's on on my 05 Rubicon. They are really rough riding. My mechanic said it was because they are truck tires and they don't flex enough with the light weight of the jeep. I also have then on my F-250. I got 75,000 miles on my first pair on the F-250. They are very good in snow and the sand we have in South Jersey.

Jerry Bransford 07-22-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgsjdg (Post 406042)
I put the BF Goodrich KO's on on my 05 Rubicon. They are really rough riding. My mechanic said it was because they are truck tires and they don't flex enough with the light weight of the jeep.

What size tire are you running and exactly what air pressure is inside them? What Load Range does the sidewall say? C, D, or E?

Stoneaxe 07-22-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDsDream (Post 405835)
I'm sold on the Goodyear Dura-Trac, smooth road handling, offroad capable easy clean tread and agressive appearance. Love em!!!

Ditto. I've got 750+ miles on mine (200 off road). Couldn't be happier.