Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   JK General Discussion Forum (
-   -   Zip windows (

Doug Healy 07-23-2009 07:42 PM

Zip windows
I am thinking about purchasing a Wrangler with half doors and zip windows.
Are the windows a pain to put on and take off? Is it a lot noiser to drive with the half doors and zip windows?
How much would a pair of doors cost if I bought them at a wrecker to use as a back up on long trips?

Thank you for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it.

jk'n 07-23-2009 07:54 PM

JK's are so new you will probably have a devil of a time finding them on a junker. They are so expensive new that I doubt any sit around for very long on permanently disabled jeeps. If noise is a concern, don't get a jeep. When mine is wide open, top down windows open, can barely hear the radio on the highway. Then again, its probably more fun tooling around without roads and very little noise. Yeeeeeeha.

exmxr73 07-23-2009 09:48 PM

This is on the JK area so I assume your talking JK.
JK half doors are tough to find and expensive.
My TJ half door experience was great. Took about 20 seconds to pull the uppers off and put them behind the front seats.
Gotta pay attention putting them back on to not scratch paint, but once you know the drill it's no big deal. I'm not sure I want a new jeep without half doors.

CruserBruiser 07-23-2009 10:46 PM

the half door windows are cake to take on and off, unzipping the rear windows are easy as well, they can be a pain the ass:banghead: though when your putting them back on, especially when the sun has gone down and its cooler out side the top shrinks and the zippers dont quite match up like they did when it was warm outside.

sputzie 07-26-2009 12:44 PM

Our JK came with the full doors. I bought a set of the canvas doors - that can be 1/2 doors to use for the summer. That way I'm not taking the hard doors off and on, possible scratching them. Taking the canvas doors off and on is very easy.

tj07jk 07-26-2009 08:56 PM

no prob
I love my JK with the half doors. I'm fighting a leak problem but it's in the bow header, not really related to the doors.:blunt:

jeepmiller09 07-27-2009 04:13 AM

doors..?????? what are doors????? Rain or shine my doors top and windows stay off! Just got rained on today while driving. I really hope all is water proof lol.

Sentinel31us 07-27-2009 11:31 AM

My 1997 TJ had half-doors with the plastic windows. Road noise was considerably greater, especially in the winter. Unfortunately back then I couldn't afford full hard doors, so I had to make-do. Winters in Michigan were even more of a pain in the butt with the plastic windows, especially going through drive-throughs. At one point it was so freaking cold that the plastic in the window actually cracked when I unzipped it! They're ok in the summer, but I'd skip 'em in the winter.