Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Hard top to soft top parts?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/hard-top-to-soft-top-parts-33808.html)

gntjeep 07-26-2009 12:44 AM

Hard top to soft top parts??

4 Attachment(s)
Hello all,
This would be my first post to this forum. I am a pretty new Jeep owner. I bought my Wrangler back in may. It has been fun, but I have an awful lot to learn I have a 2000 4.0 Auto. It came with the hard top. In a bag was a soft top, bikini top and assorted other things. I also have soft doors and windows. The Jeep currently has the hard top installed with the hard doors. I made a hoist to remove the top, but I would also like to install the soft top. I have learned that I was missing the frame bows for the soft top. I had been on the lookout for the bows and finally today on craigs found one for 75.00. I bought it. It had an old ragged top attached to it at the header that clamps over the windshiled. I didnt want it so we just cut it off. the top that was attached to this set up was actually screwed to the header. We loded the frame up and drove home. When I got home I got out my soft top. I noticed again that the top that was attached to the front header was screwed to the header. I have a new header piece that came with the jeep, and it works with the bikini top, and also with the full soft top...no screws, it has a plastic piece that catches in a lip on the new header. I dont know if I got the wrong frame rails or what?? Heres a few pics.
The first pic is the frame I just bought..You can see where we cut the old top from it. It screws to the header.
The next two shows the header that I have. The other concern I have is that the frame actually goes up into the header and screws into the header. My header has no provisions for that. How can I use my Best Top with the frame and header I bought ... or can I?
In the last picture??? What are these? They came with the Jeep and are labled soft top parts.......
Thank You!!!

NWPATJ 07-26-2009 01:06 AM

The header with the screws is a factory header. To use your Best Top top you need to get a header from someone like 4wd.com or quadratec.com they are only about $30 or so. New soft top is one of my next (of many) projects. My new top is sitting in my kitchen now. No clue what the last pieces are for.

1HOTV2 07-28-2009 11:52 PM

What you have appears to be a Bestop Super Top. It does not use the OEM frame. It uses the no-drill header (which you have) and has a completely different frame assembly. If you go to the Quadratec web site and select the Soft Top Advisor, it will show you what the frame hardware looks like. The two pieces in the last photo mount on the top sides of the tub behind the doors. They are what the side window frame bars mount into.

I currently have the Bestop Super Top on my rig and am looking to convert back to the OEM frame and top frame.

Geoff@Bestop 07-29-2009 09:36 AM

I think 1hotv2 is correct - but can I recommend that you email these photos and your question to csbestop@bestop.com ?

Our customer service team has years of experience looking at all these little bits, and will give you an answer and some options.