Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   2nd gear grinding! help me! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/2nd-gear-grinding-help-me-3386.html)

upinar 10-12-2006 01:22 AM

2nd gear grinding! help me!

whats up, i get a grinding noise and my shift stick vibrates for a second while trying to go into second. usually when shifting down. it grinds until slips into second. I can avoid this by shifting into 2nd gear fast and hard, but i dont want to do that. and it doesnt do this when i go into second when traveling slow. I think it might be the whole shifter mounting needs tightening or loosening but i yet to check that. If you have any experience with this problem, please help me. It will be greatly appriciated. thanks!

By the way, its a 2002 6 cylinder. manuel obviously.

04moneypit 10-12-2006 09:25 AM

Do you run a locker in the back? Or is your shifter contacting the body because of the body lift? I had a detroit locker in the back, and as soon as I got back from the shop, it would grind going into second, and a little in third. Jerry bransford told me his did the same because of the soft trans synchros and a couple others admitted to having the same problems too. If no locker, I don't know what to tell you. Have you checked your fluid?

RedWrangX 10-12-2006 10:03 AM

if its grinding its not from contacting the body, it just wouldnt go into gear or it would be difficult. man it could be several things, best thing would be to take it to a professional around you that you can trust.

Geeps 10-12-2006 11:25 AM

It sounds like a bad syncro. I agree with RedWrangX, take it to mechanic you can trust.

RedWrangX 10-12-2006 12:39 PM

yeah man i wouldnt drive until it gets fixed either, symptoms in one area doesnt mean they are the only problem

Texapple 10-12-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWrangX
if its grinding its not from contacting the body, it just wouldnt go into gear or it would be difficult. man it could be several things, best thing would be to take it to a professional around you that you can trust.

I thought we were professionals :eek:

lost 10-12-2006 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWrangX
a professional

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geeps
take it to mechanic you can trust.

x2
upinar: i can fix it for you

Odhinn 10-13-2006 09:28 AM

Sounds like the first/second synchro, if you dont have a Locker or a body lift. But they are right it is better to take it to a tranny shop and have them look at it. Last Manual transmission I overhauled cost me about 700 dollars for parts with me doing the labor. But I pretty much gutted the gears on that one.

mrbigjeep 10-13-2006 09:47 AM

he has a body lift...3"

Odhinn 10-13-2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjeep
he has a body lift...3"

Would a Hurst short throw shifter help that? I've never gone any higher then 2" on body lifts.

Dare2BSquare 10-13-2006 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firstaidTJ
I thought we were professionals :eek:

We are professional money spenders!

upinar 10-22-2006 11:40 PM

if it is the syncro, how much do u think it would be to get it repair? drop the tranny right?