Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   tire size (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tire-size-3390.html)

RedWrangX 10-12-2006 09:06 AM

tire size

i have been told that a 31 x 10.5 tire is the biggest i can go without lifting my tj. thats fine with me, i dont want any bigger. so i guess my questions are, will a 31x10.5 tire mount to my stock 06 tj rims, and how easy is it to correct the problems with my speedo that i would have from the tire size?

bmxstreet15 10-12-2006 10:12 AM

Yes they will fit on your stock TJ wheels given you purchase the correct size tire. I would leave the speedo alone. It wont be off that much, But if you really have to there are different size gears you can buy to correct it. You can get them from www.acmejeepparts.com. Hope this helps a little

Whobeme 10-12-2006 10:25 AM

My Jeep actually reads more accurate with the 31's than it did wuth the 28's I had stock. This is according to an officer that is a buddy of mine that was using his radar gun to help me out.

Dare2BSquare 10-12-2006 10:47 AM

I really don't have a problem with my speedo being off by 10% with 31x10.50's with my 4 banger. It is all I can do to maintain 55-60 mph on the highway. I didn't buy my jeep to cruise down the highway at 70 mph. I wanted something to take hunting and fishing and mild offroading. My wife's bimmer is the vehicle that I use for the "need for speed" and handling of curving "road course" type conditions. Each vehicle has it's own strengths and weaknesses. I don't want to put a 4" lift on my wife's bimmer, and I don't want to go 140 mph in my Jeep! (not that I could!!!)

RedWrangX 10-12-2006 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dare2BSquare
I really don't have a problem with my speedo being off by 10% with 31x10.50's with my 4 banger. It is all I can do to maintain 55-60 mph on the highway. I didn't buy my jeep to cruise down the highway at 70 mph. I wanted something to take hunting and fishing and mild offroading. My wife's bimmer is the vehicle that I use for the "need for speed" and handling of curving "road course" type conditions. Each vehicle has it's own strengths and weaknesses. I don't want to put a 4" lift on my wife's bimmer, and I don't want to go 140 mph in my Jeep! (not that I could!!!)

well i didnt buy a jeep to go fast. but i do have a problem with it being 10 percent off, i would like it to be accurate or else i might as well take it out.

RedWrangX 10-12-2006 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmxstreet15
Yes they will fit on your stock TJ wheels given you purchase the correct size tire. I would leave the speedo alone. It wont be off that much, But if you really have to there are different size gears you can buy to correct it. You can get them from www.acmejeepparts.com. Hope this helps a little

i am a little confused, you said they will fit if i purchase the right size tire, but that is the size i wanted. so you are saying they will fit as long as i make sure i order that size???

amerijeep 10-12-2006 12:27 PM

No, he's saying you can buy a replacement speedo gear for the size tire you decide to go with.

RedWrangX 10-12-2006 12:32 PM

Quote:

Yes they will fit on your stock TJ wheels given you purchase the correct size tire.

he didnt say anything about the gears there, he said tire, thats what i am confused about

mrbigjeep 10-12-2006 01:18 PM

im confused now too but anyway i made a post on this thread (helpful :D yeah i know yall are surprised) and it didn't show up :confused: :confused: :confused: and its been doing this lately.

anyway you can fit a 31 no problem...just a little rubbing on the control arms with the stock wheels will be about it.

you can buy a new speedo gear with the correct amount of teeth to go with the new tires...its really cheap and very easy to install

Dare2BSquare 10-12-2006 01:19 PM

Quote:

But if you really have to there are different size gears you can buy to correct it. You can get them from www.acmejeepparts.com. Hope this helps a little

Speedo Gears.

RedWrangX 10-12-2006 09:23 PM

once again i read the part about the speedo gears, read the quote i used, it didnt say anything about speedo gears. i guess you can keep pointing out the part about speedo gears if you really want to though. but in any case. a little rubbing on the control arms is not wanted either. would any kind of lift solve the problem by any chance? or woul di need different ca's?

mrbigjeep 10-12-2006 09:47 PM

different ca's won't help and a lift won't help either. the control arms would be in the same position and a lift is just gonna give you more fenderwell clearance which has nothing to do with rubbing the control arms. what you need is new wheels with different backspacing (less backspacing) or a wheel spacer (not recommended)...but what wheel do you have? the ecco wheel or the ravine wheel or the steel wheel?

Dare2BSquare 10-12-2006 10:42 PM

You should be able to put 31x10.5 on the stock wheel. You buy the new speedo gears based on what tire size you put on there. You can always adjust your steering stops to keep 10.5's from rubbing. You lose a little in the turning radius but you should be able to adjust enough that you don't rub. Mine rubbed at full turn, but I have xj wheels on there and I think the backspacing is different than a stock wheel for a wrangler. Sorry for the confusion... hope this helps.

bmxstreet15 10-12-2006 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWrangX
he didnt say anything about the gears there, he said tire, thats what i am confused about

What I meant was make sure that you purchase a 31 inch tire that matches the wheel. for example: dont purchase a 31x10.50R16 if you have 15 inch wheels. I am not familiar with the stock wheel size but I belive it is a 15 inch.

RedWrangX 10-13-2006 06:58 AM

aah, yes i do believe it is a 15x7 wheel stock. what i was looking at was mickey thompsons baha claw radial. 31x 10.5. but i dont want to do that if they are going to rub my control arms, but since i am new to jeeps i cant tell you what the wheels are called. but you guys can see them in some of the pics i posted i believe, maybe you could tell me

bmxstreet15 10-13-2006 07:30 AM

Quote:

aah, yes i do believe it is a 15x7 wheel stock. what i was looking at was mickey thompsons baha claw radial. 31x 10.5. but i dont want to do that if they are going to rub my control arms, but since i am new to jeeps i cant tell you what the wheels are called. but you guys can see them in some of the pics i posted i believe, maybe you could tell me

Well You have a few options. 1. get differnt wheels when you get the tires. Many places have wheel and tire combos for cheap. Just look in JP magazine. 2. you could adjust your steering stops to keep from rubbing. There are other ways of dealing with the issue but these seem to be the most popular. I have never had experience with stock wheels other than the ones on my 1952 willys pickup. I do some lookin around and see what I can find for ya.

RedWrangX 10-13-2006 07:41 AM

ok, well its not because i am dead set on my wheels, i am just trying to keep price down.

mrbigjeep 10-13-2006 07:50 AM

you can get some good lookin soft 8 wheels for about $40-$50 a piece. the soft 8 has the circle holes instead of the D lock and the wheel looks really good. doesn't look like steel. anyway its cheap and they look good

bmxstreet15 10-13-2006 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjeep
you can get some good lookin soft 8 wheels for about $40-$50 a piece. the soft 8 has the circle holes instead of the D lock and the wheel looks really good. doesn't look like steel. anyway its cheap and they look good

Just what I was thinking as well.

RedWrangX 10-13-2006 08:04 AM

soft 8? those arent those black ones with the little red stripe or whatever it going around them are they?

RedWrangX 10-13-2006 08:21 AM

ok nevermind i found them on summit racing. ok so i know i would need a 15x7 wheel, but i am not sure about what size bolt circle or backspacing

mrbigjeep 10-13-2006 09:45 AM

Quote:

soft 8? those arent those black ones with the little red stripe or whatever it going around them are they?

nope those are the D window ones

Quote:

ok nevermind i found them on summit racing. ok so i know i would need a 15x7 wheel, but i am not sure about what size bolt circle or backspacing

nope you would need a 15x8. bolt pattern is 5x4.5 and backspacing would need to be 3.75" or 4" at the most

RedWrangX 10-13-2006 11:45 AM

is a 4 inch backspacing going to make them stick out a rediculous amount or what?

bmxstreet15 10-13-2006 05:54 PM

Quote:

is a 4 inch backspacing going to make them stick out a rediculous amount or what?

No they wont stick out too bad. I have 15x10's on mine with, i believe, 4 inches of backspacing.

mrbigjeep 10-13-2006 07:19 PM

Quote:

what he said ^^

the less backspacing the wheel has the more the tires stick out and the more backspacing the wheel has the more it stays under the jeep and fenders and the less the tires stick out. even if you go with 3.75" backspacing it still won't stick out much with just 31x10.50's...just barely past the fender flares...a lil itty bit

RedWrangX 10-14-2006 07:28 AM

ok, see i told i was new to this

mrbigjeep 10-14-2006 08:52 AM

aaah its no problem...ask anything you want...you shoulda seen me when i was new :eek: :D

amerijeep 10-14-2006 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjeep
aaah its no problem...ask anything you want...you shoulda seen me when i was new :eek: :D

Are you not new now?

Scout 10-14-2006 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerijeep
Are you not new now?

Yeah, but he's got one helluva post count! :flipoff:

amerijeep 10-14-2006 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple Scout
Yeah, but he's got one helluva post count! :flipoff:

Yep, I'm the only one in front of him. He'll be ahead of me by the end of the year, I expect. I talk a lot, but I really have troube finding that much to say.

bigjeep, we're not knocking you buddy. I wish all members posted more.