Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/)
-   -   Stock Goodyear Tires (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/stock-goodyear-tires-34028.html)

TXRLK 07-30-2009 12:55 PM

Stock Goodyear Tires

My 08 Unlimited X came stock with Goodyear SRA 255x75x17 tires and I'm not pleased with the lack of cornering traction on a wet road. The tires have so little grip that it's almost like driving on snow. I would appreciate any suggestion based upon experience for a replacement tire that has better traction. I only have 7500 miles on these tires but they have to go!

Hilldweller 07-30-2009 01:11 PM

My Sahara came with Bridgestone Duelers and I chucked them at 4,400 miles for similar reasons.

I tried General Grabber AT2's; I would not recommend them to anybody.

I'm running Goodyear MTR w/Kevlar right now and they stick to wet roads and handle mucky trails better than anything I've ever used before. Wonderful tire but I don't expect stellar treadlife.

Also new with the same rubber compound: Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac and Dunlop Radial Mud Rover Maxx Traction.

JDsDream 07-30-2009 01:32 PM

Depends on where you're going. Daily driver or strictly offroad. I've had the Dura-Trac for about 3 months and what a difference they make. Mines a daily driver and some light offroad (trails and mud puddles), but the handling and traction is great. They clean out pretty easy and I like the fact that they have an agressive appearance and good road manners

iamagolfspaz 07-30-2009 04:00 PM

All ive heard is good things about the Dura Trac. And the price is very good.

Badfish 07-30-2009 04:38 PM

im sure you have seen BFGoodwrich all terrains. personaly im a big fan of them they have been on our 88 suzuki samurai forever cause like these new jeep the stock ones where pathetic. i love them on the road minimal noise and vibration great road manners. on the trail, or out in the desert where i mostly offroad, they were pretty much unstoppable only deep sand was your enemy but other than that i took it all the places the jeeps were goin. they are pretty cheap i too. i think pepboys still has their buy 3 get the 4th tire free and im pretty sure you can get bfg all terrains there. just a thought

john's ct jeep 07-30-2009 09:57 PM

jd how are those Dura Trac tires on the black top? and any idea of the life 40k or 50k

JDsDream 07-30-2009 10:29 PM

I saw your question on the last person thread first. So you can find my reply there. Sorry didn't see this one.

daggo66 07-31-2009 06:31 AM

I've actually been pretty impressed with the SRA's. They performed much better off road than I expected, especially in mud. I haven't driven in real bad rain yet, but I wouldn't expect them to be bad. Tires with channals like they have are usually better in the rain than a cross pattern like a mud tire. It's a little amusing that you discuss a Jeep's "cornering" ability. I never realized they had any.

TXRLK 07-31-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 412237)
I've actually been pretty impressed with the SRA's. They performed much better off road than I expected, especially in mud. I haven't driven in real bad rain yet, but I wouldn't expect them to be bad. Tires with channals like they have are usually better in the rain than a cross pattern like a mud tire. It's a little amusing that you discuss a Jeep's "cornering" ability. I never realized they had any.

Having owned a Jeep previous to this 08, I didn't expect much in the way of cornering but this is worse than I anticipated. If I want to scream around corners I fire up my RX-8.

Hondarider 07-31-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXRLK (Post 411684)
My 08 Unlimited X came stock with Goodyear SRA 255x75x17 tires and I'm not pleased with the lack of cornering traction on a wet road. The tires have so little grip that it's almost like driving on snow. I would appreciate any suggestion based upon experience for a replacement tire that has better traction. I only have 7500 miles on these tires but they have to go!

LOL. My Unlimited came with the same tires and I was just messing around in the rain today. I was bummed that I couldn't get the Jeep to fishtail on a tight corner with lots of gas.

bflank 07-31-2009 06:21 PM

The pitiful OEM tires are why we made a new set of BFG AT-KM tires part of our purchase deal. Not too noisy on road, decent traction on wet roads, and pretty good in mud.