Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Jeep fell apart (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/jeep-fell-apart-340745.html)

simonclay 10-14-2013 07:45 AM

Jeep fell apart

1 Attachment(s)
So last night I was driving home and was going around a long sweeping left turn. Out of nowhere there was a bad drop like a big pothole. Then I see my wheel rolling ahead of the jeep..

I got completed the turn (somehow) and stopped in a parking lot. Upon investigation two wheel studs on my rough country wheel spacer broke off. I got the wheel, used the two lug nuts I had on the spare and one off of a back wheel. Then drove it home.

I'm going to go jack the jeep up in a bit and take a second look for damage. I just wanted to share this story.

OverkillYJ 10-14-2013 07:47 AM

And that is why I will never put wheel spacers on my Jeep.

simonclay 10-14-2013 07:50 AM

I knew I was going to get responses exactly like that

harleydragon 10-14-2013 07:59 AM

the other 3 nuts must have already lost off..if that was the case then I could see the other 2 breaking..sounds like to me that the spacer was not the problem but the fact that only 2 studs were holding it..that could have happened even if a spacer wasn't there

TOK 10-14-2013 08:00 AM

You still had 3 studs remaining (undamaged, I presume since you were able to put the wheel back on), how did the wheel come off?

I don't understand what happened here.

Mypantera 10-14-2013 08:06 AM

Just to clarify, all 5 lugs broke off while driving home and the photo above is AFTER you installed 3 of the new studs???

If so it sounds like the lugs loosened up, which is VERY common for wheel adapters and then the back and forth motion of the wheel / tire caused the studs to shear off. You are lucky this didnt happen at speed. With spacers / adapters like you have, you have to check to make sure everything stays tight.

simonclay 10-14-2013 08:12 AM

Yes. We think that 3 lug nuts backed off at some point in the past couple weeks ( which was the last time I checked them). I don't understand how they could have backed off because I tightened them probably more than they should have been. I think the wheel spacers are coming off in a while.

87 Florida YJ 10-14-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonclay (Post 5350153)
Yes. We think that 3 lug nuts backed off at some point in the past couple weeks ( which was the last time I checked them). I don't understand how they could have backed off because I tightened them probably more than they should have been. I think the wheel spacers are coming off in a while.

Chance of THREE lugs backing off by themselves??????? Slim to none. Less than that even.

simonclay 10-14-2013 08:53 AM

That's what I thought too. But the three remaining studs are undamaged.

87 Florida YJ 10-14-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonclay (Post 5350945)
That's what I thought too. But the three remaining studs are undamaged.

Maybe someone else can explain how three lugs (tightened properly within the past month) could possibly vibrate themselves completely OFF and disappear short of some kind of 'tampering' but I can't. I just can't see that happening under any circumstance but I'm willing to learn.

Raiders1901 10-14-2013 09:40 AM

Do you have a jealous ex or current girlfriend? That might explain it.

wasomma 10-14-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87 Florida YJ (Post 5350481)
Chance of THREE lugs backing off by themselves??????? Slim to none. Less than that even.

Not for wheel spacers, the shop I do my work at has a row of wheel spacers that looks exactly like what OP posted. You really need a shop or the proper equipment to install them correctly. Any discrepancy with the installation in terms of over or under tightening, if there is any play whatesoever after it has been installed for a bit, etc. will over time lead you to product failure.

You have to think about how fast that component spins with the weight of the wheel attached. There is incredible centrifugal force being applied to the component. Over time it will loosen up multiple times and if you don't watch it carefully you're gonna lose a wheel.

simonclay 10-14-2013 10:45 AM

I had heard from a couple people that wheel spacers aren't the best option before I bought them. But I just chalked it up to them being "paranoid" and got them anyway. After last night I'm still not sure that they are horrible things that should never be used, but I hope other people will see this before buying them. Just to see what CAN happen.

OverkillYJ 10-14-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonclay (Post 5353905)
I had heard from a couple people that wheel spacers aren't the best option before I bought them. But I just chalked it up to them being "paranoid" and got them anyway. After last night I'm still not sure that they are horrible things that should never be used, but I hope other people will see this before buying them. Just to see what CAN happen.

If you were driving down the highway I think your opinion on them would be different.

IF you were still capable of having opinions. :rip:

xjrjrx 10-14-2013 11:00 AM

I have been running wheel spacers on mine for quite a long time and have never had any problems with them at all I also rotate my tires every 5000 and check the torque on all the nuts every time I do it when I first put them on I checked them after every gas fill up like the install instructions said obviously wheels with proper back spacing are going to be the best option but my spacers have been nothing but good to me

simonclay 10-14-2013 11:13 AM

That's good to hear. These have been great until now. And I was driving about 40mph around a slight turn when it happened.

xjrjrx 10-14-2013 11:16 AM

My brother had a wheel fall off on two separate occasions without wheel spacers it just comes down to if all the bolts are torqued down all the way they can and will back off especially with new studs

NYJETS 10-14-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiders1901 (Post 5352113)
Do you have a jealous ex or current girlfriend? That might explain it.

Damn, u beat me 2 it :lmao:

You might want to check if the wife took out a life insurance policy recently.

simonclay 10-14-2013 01:38 PM

What do you guys recommend torquing the lug nuts to? I've heard multiple numbers

1987Wrangler YJ 10-14-2013 01:57 PM

did you contact RC?

simonclay 10-14-2013 02:11 PM

Yes. I did just a little bit ago. No response yet

1987Wrangler YJ 10-14-2013 02:23 PM

Ask them to send you out a free replacement and for the torque specs.

harleydragon 10-14-2013 02:45 PM

if the lugs had snatched out of the spacer then I could see a complaint.But,with 3 lugs missing and the other 2 studs broken,I can't..that could just as easily happen on a stock hub.I had it happen to a stone stock Z71 with factory wheels.I think my lugs had some help coming loose but a couple of them broke just as this one did

simonclay 10-14-2013 02:59 PM

I understand where you're coming from. I don't know if it was a defective product or an accident or foul play.

Charley24 10-14-2013 03:09 PM

Wheel spacers just need to be maintained like anything else on your rig. I've run them for more than a year without any problems.

2xs 10-14-2013 04:23 PM

Perhaps someone tried to steal your wheels, but ran out of time, or got spooked and split?

I would check ALL your lugs, just to make sure they are all there and tight.

bc3_Jeep 10-14-2013 05:09 PM

If this is NOT foul play...... I would be VERY surprised. Odds of even ONE coming loose are slim......TWO downright negligible........THREE.......I am no detective BUT........someone loosened those.

Torque is about placing the correct amount of interference between two incline planes. Too much..... and you risk SNAPPAGE..... not loosening. Too little..... you risk spin off. The fact that three were off and two were left on indicates correct/over torque on two and too little on three...........odds are WAY against that.

simonclay 10-14-2013 05:15 PM

I went out and took all of my wheel spacers off earlier. Two of the front drivers lug nuts were a little looser than the rest. But they all were so tight that I had to use an impact and hit them a few times to get them broke loose. I put all new wheel locks on and torqued them all to 95# and triple checked them all.

2xs 10-14-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonclay (Post 5363265)
But they all were so tight that I had to use an impact and hit them a few times to get them broke loose. .

Too tight.. might have been your problem on the broken ones.
The others I blame on attempted theft, the crooks probably couldn't get the other ones off (that ended up breaking).

SrPobre 10-15-2013 12:36 AM

Same happened on my XJ a couple years back. No spacers or adapters or anything like that. The answer is blowing in the wind I guess.