Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Builders Corner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/)
-   -   Poor Man's Spring Over (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/poor-mans-spring-over-34245.html)

bryandhispup 08-03-2009 10:58 PM

Poor Man's Spring Over

I used to run around with a bunch of guys that had large jeeps etc... that would tell me about their uncles who would do a spring over flip by flipping the axels over and switching the brake components to the opposite side and right side up. This seemed like it might work on the back abut i never could figure out the front axel in my head... is this an old Jeepers tale or trick?

:confused: clarification and maybe a tutorial if it's legit...

Anybody know anything about this? :rolleyes:

Rawkon 08-03-2009 11:06 PM

no most lift companies make a spring over for leaf sprung jeeps. personally i would stay spring under like what rubicon express makes.

buckshot500 08-04-2009 04:41 AM

I helped a friend do his front spring over, & they had sent him this bracket kit.

No welding involved, unless the pinion angle needs to be changed.

His did need that so he had a local custom fab shop cut the "C's" loose & reset them.

Anyway the bracket kit was some parts that you put around the old axle mounting areas to make a flat spring mount on top of the axle.
Then there were other plates & long threaded rods that do the same thing the old U-bolts did. (Sandwich it all together)
You'll want to recheck the tightness of these rods for a few months after the install.

He had aready install the rear kit with his 8.8 swap, but it appeared to be similar in design to the front kit.

4Jeepn 08-04-2009 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryandhispup (Post 414715)
I used to run around with a bunch of guys that had large jeeps etc... that would tell me about their uncles who would do a spring over flip by flipping the axels over and switching the brake components to the opposite side and right side up. This seemed like it might work on the back abut i never could figure out the front axel in my head... is this an old Jeepers tale or trick?

:confused: clarification and maybe a tutorial if it's legit...

Anybody know anything about this? :rolleyes:

Um, why not just weld on some $50 brackets and call it day. Much easier for a poor man. The bolt on brackets are also weaker...

yardfab 08-04-2009 11:44 AM

Agree. But i made my perches out of 2 1/2" box tube 1/4" wall (that was notched to the size of the houseing) and welded them to the housing once the pinion angle was determined. Of course there are more items than this that were fab'd to do the spring over also. I dont think it would be worth your time to flip the axles and swap all that around. In fact the front wont work. Jeep are offset driver diff.,, flipping would put it on pass. side and wont line up with transfer case.

yardfab 08-04-2009 08:31 PM

Or you could just build one like this. This is my buddy Nate's Jeep that he just finished. He and I are building mine a little smaller.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...552ac64ec3.jpg

jpdocdave 08-04-2009 08:34 PM

^rear stear????

anywho, no such thing as a cheap, or poor man's spring over.....well i guess i can't say that, no such thing as a good/safe one.

yardfab 08-04-2009 09:34 PM

O yes rear stear. =)
I agree, no such thing as a safe cheap spring over. Do it right or don't do it at all. Take a chance of hurting yourself and others you wheel with.

Geoff@Bestop 08-04-2009 10:04 PM

Yardfab: I understand the step ladder. But does he have a little string to pull it up behind him?

Or maybe one of those rope ladders like in a tree house. Plus a sign that says "No Girlz aLoud"

yardfab 08-05-2009 07:18 AM

LOL. Na The ladder was temp solution to make it a little easier in the shop to work on. Now there is a logging chain welded in a loop to the slidders. LOL It's way to big for me. The funny thing is seeing his 5' 5" girl friend try and get in. I'm here to tell you, the guy can flat build some nice stuff. He got that Jeep Stock when we were in High School 11 years ago and has evolved into a monster.

bryandhispup 08-16-2009 06:55 PM

no, not rear steer... sorry for not clearing that up sooner... thanks for the tips I'll be looking into it...

peace & love