Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   '98 Slider HVAC AC Control (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/98-slider-hvac-ac-control-343433.html)

AC0QR 10-15-2013 05:51 PM

'98 Slider HVAC AC Control

I have a '98 TJ with air conditioning, which has the "slider" style HVAC controls. I've noticed that my HVAC "options" are:
- System Off
- A/C + Outside Air + Upper Vents
- A/C + Recirculate + Upper Vents
- Outside Air + Upper Vents
- Outside Air + Lower Vents
- A/C + Upper Vents + Windshield Vent
- A/C + Windshield Vent

My question is: Is there a way (or a common mod) to put the A/C on a separate switch?

For instance, I'd like to blow hot air out the windshield vent (to melt snow/ice). Right now, I believe A/C is always on if air is coming out the windshield vent. Another option might be to recirculate, but NOT run A/C (you're on a dusty road, etc). Or run A/C through the lower vents if you've got hot feet!

Does this make sense, or am I not understanding the controls properly? Thanks!

Digger84 10-15-2013 05:58 PM

If you put a switch either in dash or under the hood that is in the wire to the ac clutch all you have to do is have that switch off/open and no ac ever

Close/ on and things work as before

Big Sarge 10-15-2013 06:02 PM

The A/C is on in defrost to help take the moisture out of the air. If you want heat to melt ice move to bottom slider to the red side. That makes it hot! Lol

JimsJeep 10-15-2013 06:21 PM

One of the other reasons for running the AC is to exercise your compressor during the off season

Skold 10-15-2013 07:01 PM

I have the slider too. Is it possible to swap out a later model TJ with the rotary knobs?

JimsJeep 10-15-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skold (Post 5393273)
I have the slider too. Is it possible to swap out a later model TJ with the rotary knobs?

Your setup is cable operated and 99 up is vacuum so it's not a swap.

Skold 10-15-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsJeep (Post 5393889)
Your setup is cable operated and 99 up is vacuum so it's not a swap.

Thanks for the confirmation!

kawzak 10-16-2013 06:43 PM

I have not looked at my new/used 98 TJ-but there could be a outside temp (bi-metal) contact thermister some where at/by /close to the grill that wont let the a/ come on in very cold weather. Vechicles had these so the a/c won't run when really cold out and possibly hurt compressor ( at least back in the 70s and 80s).Now once it warms up under the hood -all works normal-at least untill you get up to 45+MPH or so-then it cools the thermister down, and same as before. I never tried to cool one of these off to see where the contacts open-but probably somewhere in the upper/mid 30's F. Then again maybe the low PSI cycling switch may not see high enough PSI with really cold temps (lower freon PSI) to come on-on newer systems (90's and up) Geez, remembering all this makes me feel old.

AC0QR 10-17-2013 12:54 PM

I used to live in Colorado, and I'm pretty sure my A/C compressor would kick on and off regardless of outside temperature. But thanks for the info! If I had wanted precision HVAC control I would have gotten a Mercedes or BMW :)