Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f123/)
-   -   Jeep JK Off Road Mirrors? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f123/jeep-jk-off-road-mirrors-343481.html)

Jonathan@AACstyle.com 10-15-2013 07:04 PM

Jeep JK Off Road Mirrors?

We are considering doing a group buy on the new off road LED mirrors and we wanted to know if you would be interested.

If there is enough interest in a group buy we will start a thread with the information inside of our vendor section.

This new product from ORACLE Lighting is expected to be available by SEMA 2013 features a set of high powered LED light bars integrated into the factory side mirrors of the Jeep Wrangler JK. This integration allows for easy installation and a clean, almost OEM look while providing functional peripheral illumination for the driver.

The LED light bar is a custom design that features a total of 24 Cree XPE 3W LEDs. This gives the driver a total of 72W of LED power producing approximately 6500 Lumens. Each unit has a 60 beam angle to optimize the driver's peripheral visibility wether on the trail or in the desert. Three aluminum heat sinks are used to wick heat away from the LEDs and use the airflow through the mirror housing to increase cooling.

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/...k_mirror_2.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/...k_mirror_1.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/...k_mirror_3.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/...k_oralce_1.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/...ralce_2_on.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/...k_oralce_2.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/...lumination.jpg

panthermark 10-15-2013 07:14 PM

Interesting...

Are they heated and powered? (yes, I'm a mall crawler)

Where are the light switches located?

How are they wired up?

Dare 10-15-2013 07:39 PM

looks interesting, along with the above pricing would be a question and will they work with all mirror types such as power/non power. Also would like to see the look when turned on from the drivers seat to see how much glare you get from the hood, etc.
Thanks.

AACstyle 10-16-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 5391897)
Interesting...

Are they heated and powered? (yes, I'm a mall crawler)

You swap over your factory glass and mounts with this so if you have heat and power you will retain it.

Quote:

Where are the light switches located?

The package comes with a switch, there are several different locations you could mount it based on your preferences.

Quote:

How are they wired up?

The system wires up to 12V battery power and is turned on and off via a switch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dare (Post 5392609)
looks interesting, along with the above pricing would be a question and will they work with all mirror types such as power/non power. Also would like to see the look when turned on from the drivers seat to see how much glare you get from the hood, etc.
Thanks.

These are designed for peripheral illumination, the light does not project out over the hood (see illustration above) so you would not encounter any glare.

SirRyan 10-16-2013 09:44 AM

I think they would look better with the light bar on top, not the side. But still a cool concept.

Jonathan@AACstyle.com 10-16-2013 09:45 AM

If you will be attending SEMA this year be sure to stop by the new product showcase and see this in person!

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/...um/JK_SEMA.jpg

AACstyle 10-16-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirRyan (Post 5406609)
I think they would look better with the light bar on top, not the side. But still a cool concept.

On the top you would not be able to fit as many LEDs, have a smaller internal heat sink, and if you had a snorkel it would block the light output.

We explored that option early on in the design process ;)

Ratman138 10-16-2013 10:15 AM

Do you have a price point set?

NFRs2000NYC 10-16-2013 10:22 AM

I am very interested, depending on price point obviously.

AACstyle 10-16-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratman138 (Post 5407281)
Do you have a price point set?

Yes, you can read the official SEMA Press Release here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f185/se...ml#post5407577

NFRs2000NYC 10-16-2013 10:58 AM

Hmmm...$500 is a little steep.

Sueby 10-16-2013 11:45 AM

I really, really like them but $500 is more than I'd spend.

panthermark 10-16-2013 11:49 AM

Thanks for the info!

I'm going to have to wait for them to go on super-duper sale or something.

Jonathan@AACstyle.com 10-16-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 5408601)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sueby (Post 5409697)

This is why we are asking if you guys would be interested in a group buy. If we can get enough members interested we can sell the first production run at a discounted price. :)

dukedallas 10-16-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sueby (Post 5409697)

Ditto as above, But as first responders to your post, I can speak for us all that we are all available to do real world testing if you need it. :happyyes:

Johnathan,
All kidding aside, I have great faith in your products and customer service because I've ordered several Oracle Halo rings from your company and the quality of your product and customer service has been beyond acceptional!!!! I ordered a set of Halos rings which were faulty and your reps mailed me out a new set (while my jeep was torn apart) overnighted, without me even first returning the faulty ones. That is a quality setup hats off to you guys and thats why I will contiunue to use your products.

:Thanx:

Are they street legal? I drive alot of rural country roads, I get hassled for minor tints i dont need more headaches from mall cops lol.

NFRs2000NYC 10-16-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan@AACstyle.com (Post 5409809)
This is why we are asking if you guys would be interested in a group buy. If we can get enough members interested we can sell the first production run at a discounted price. :)

While I would be interested if the price was more in the mid 300 range, I generally am not huge on getting a trial run of a product. We all definitely appreciate you bringing this to us, so hopefully we can work something out. For $500, I would expect a fully functioning mirror replacement. Since we have to reuse our stock glass and such, and this isn't technically a bolt it and forget it item, I think the manufacturers might want to rethink their price point. Again, many thanks for bringing the product to us. How many people would you need for a group buy?

AACstyle 10-16-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 5408601)

That is actually less than a pair of decent 12 LED light bars much less a re-engineered setup that replaces your factory mirrors. If you are not in the market for LED off-road lights it may sound high but its actually a good deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukedallas (Post 5409969)
I have great faith in your products and customer service because I've ordered several Oracle Halo rings from your company and the quality of your product and customer service has been beyond acceptional!!!!

Glad to hear that, we hope to exceed expectations with this new product :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukedallas (Post 5409969)
Are they street legal? I drive alot of rural country roads, I get hassled for minor tints i dont need more headaches from mall cops lol.

They are as street legal as any other "off-road" auxiliary light, you are not supposed to use them on the road but if you are on a rural road with no other traffic they could come in handy ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 5410233)
While I would be interested if the price was more in the mid 300 range,

The only way to get the price that low would be to use a low-quality LED. We are using high-end CREE (Made in the USA) LEDs, these have higher lumen-to-watt efficiency, longer lifetime, and overall better quality than overseas LEDs.

Moonrider 10-16-2013 12:44 PM

Im interested in a group buy if the price is discounted, although you should make a video demonstration of this lighting kit.

bfschor 10-16-2013 01:08 PM

I'm new to LED's. One thing I'm concerned with is how you would replace an LED if one or more were to fail? And how easy is it to find a matching LED and how easy is it to replace?

AACstyle 10-16-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfschor (Post 5411649)
I'm new to LED's. One thing I'm concerned with is how you would replace an LED if one or more were to fail? And how easy is it to find a matching LED and how easy is it to replace?

If a LED was to fail (these LEDs are rated at 60,000 hours of continuous use) we would replace the entire mirror under warranty.

dukedallas 10-16-2013 01:31 PM

I dont know how durable they would be in trail riding with snapping branches etc...but since you are the manufacturer, an idea to think about would be like a cool looking snap on removeable cage to go on the outside of the mirror to protect the LED's and frame of the $500 mirror. Just an idea :-)

unusedusername 10-16-2013 01:56 PM

Does the power run through the factory door wire bundle? Essentially, how much more painful is it to remove the doors with these installed?

Also, if there is an option to put in auto-dimming side mirrors, even at extra cost, then I would buy a set.

panthermark 10-16-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unusedusername (Post 5412753)
Does the power run through the factory door wire bundle? Essentially, how much more painful is it to remove the doors with these installed?

Also, if there is an option to put in auto-dimming side mirrors, even at extra cost, then I would buy a set.

Good question!

NFRs2000NYC 10-16-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Im sure you can run the wire down, along the OEM cloth protector, and have a quick connect right near the OEM quick connect to easily remove em. Yes, you would need to unclip an extra harness, but if we're honest, thats not a big deal. Maybe another 2 seconds per door.

panthermark 10-16-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 5413609)
Im sure you can run the wire down, along the OEM cloth protector, and have a quick connect right near the OEM quick connect to easily remove em. Yes, you would need to unclip an extra harness, but if we're honest, thats not a big deal. Maybe another 2 seconds per door.

That could also depend on how and where they are powered and grounded. If they use the existing power and ground in the mirros (assuming you have power mirrors), then you may be only looking at one line (for the switch) for each door. If they need to be powred and grounded themselves, you are looking at three lines per door. Not a "huge" issue in the grand scheme of things....but it is just more wires to deal with and run.

I wonder if it is one or two power switches?

One thing is for sure....even if it just for peace of mind, I would be using security hinge bolts as opposed to leaving my hinge bolts out (like they are right now).

AACstyle 10-16-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukedallas (Post 5412185)
I dont know how durable they would be in trail riding with snapping branches etc...but since you are the manufacturer, an idea to think about would be like a cool looking snap on removeable cage to go on the outside of the mirror to protect the LED's and frame of the $500 mirror. Just an idea :-)

We did consider this, good point. We decided to make the production parts from impact-resistant Polycarbonate rather than ABS like our prototypes. This durable PC material can withstand impact from branches, rocks, etc. We also fitted the lens with a metal guard that protects the PMMA lens and LED optics from similar impact and flying debris.

Here is an exploded view to show the rock guard:
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/...rror_Light.jpg

Quote:

Our suggestion would be to put quick connects if you anticipate removing your doors (you can also relocate the mirrors to the A-pillar to avoid this as well.) We will post a DIY for adding the quick-connects later on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 5413609)

You beat me to the quick-connect suggestion ;)

NFRs2000NYC 10-16-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AACstyle (Post 5414649)
We did consider this, good point. We decided to make the production parts from impact-resistant Polycarbonate rather than ABS like our prototypes. The PC material can withstand impact from branches, rocks, etc. We also fitted the lens with a metal guard that protects the PMMA lens and LED optics from similar impact and flying debris. Here is an exploded view to show the rock guard: Our suggestion would be to put quick connects if you anticipate removing your doors (you can also relocate the mirrors to the A-pillar to avoid this as well.) We will post a DIY for adding the quick-connects later on. You beat me to the quick-connect suggestion ;)

Love the design, truly. I do wish you guys used lexan instead of acrylic though. Acrylic scratches if you look at it wrong. I had an acrylic fish tank and it scratched just from people touching it.

AACstyle 10-16-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 5414753)
Love the design, truly. I do wish you guys used lexan instead of acrylic though. Acrylic scratches if you look at it wrong. I had an acrylic fish tank and it scratched just from people touching it.

The PMMA material is the same we use on all of our Off-Road light lenses and we have not had any issues with it scratching even under some rather extreme circumstances.

Aeschylus 10-16-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AACstyle (Post 5411753)
If a LED was to fail (these LEDs are rated at 60,000 hours of continuous use) we would replace the entire mirror under warranty.

How long is the warranty?

AACstyle 10-16-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeschylus (Post 5417521)
How long is the warranty?

The mirrors come with a 2 Year warranty. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/images...es/thumbup.gif