Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Quick clutch question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/quick-clutch-question-343713.html)

W5KVV 10-15-2013 08:08 PM

Quick clutch question

Guys, I think I remember this from my older Jeep days, but I better ask before I throw money at it.

The tranny on my 95 YJ is hard going into & out of any forward gear from a stop. Goes into reverse fine with minimal grinding if it's already in neutral.

Here's a scenario: I pull onto an incline in first, bring the Jeep to a stop, kill it & release the clutch. Start the Jeep back up, push the clutch all the way to the floor & the shifter doesn't want to come out of first & the Jeep won't roll. (not a big incline, but big enough the Jeep should free roll). If I rock it, it comes right out of gear & everything is golden.

Pretty sure it's hydraulic... right? Either low on magic clutch juice, or a bad master/slave. It's factory equipment, so I'm sure it's about due.

For the record, the syncros are good. I can bang thru the gears as fast as I want & have no grinding what so ever. Up shift, down shift no grinding at all.

jokerchief462 10-15-2013 10:32 PM

Yes it is probably time try Rockauto for the combo ore led setup. 30 minutes your on the road.

W5KVV 10-15-2013 11:12 PM

Thanks for the reply jokerchief. I just wanted a 2nd opinion. It never hurts to double check yourself.

sevenservices 10-16-2013 10:00 AM

first things first, pump your pedal 10 times with it running, shut it off then check your clutch fluid on the firewall. My wifes old nova had a clutch leak and it would do that same thing. Every week or so we'd have to add some fluid because it would not want to come out of any forward gear. It could have air in the fluid as well, its just not pushing the pressure plate far enough away from the flywheel.

Secondly, if your fluid is full and slave cylinder is good, then it may be time for a new throw out bearing.

W5KVV 10-16-2013 10:14 AM

Damn Chris I think you hit the nail right on the head. Reading your post it just clicked. I have been hearing the throw out bearing growling since I got the Jeep. I keep telling myself it's gonna need replaced one of these days.

Why I didn't put 2 & 2 together is beyond me. I'll check the fluid level & check for leaks, but I bet the T/O is ready for retirement. It's been raining cats & dogs here the last couple of days & my shop is full with another project. Needless to say I'm ready for it to dry out around here.

W5KVV 10-16-2013 10:29 PM

Master & slave are clean as a whistle & full of fluid. I guess the next step is to pull the slave & do the screwdriver trick.

I'm getting a good ol fashion feeling it might be internal. :(

tembko 10-17-2013 08:36 PM

Matt I hope you don't mind me jumping onto your thread but I have a similar issue and I'd like your guys' input. I have an 88 JY with a NP435 transmission and an external slave cylinder. I just replaced the master clutch cylinder, slave cylinder and now the jeep will only go into gear periodically. It grinds horribly trying to go into 1st and reverse. 2nd, 3rd and 4th go in harder than they did with the old slave and master. Sometimes, it wont go into any gear. I've bled the air out...is there an adjustment I'm missing somewhere or is there a bigger problem?

W5KVV 10-17-2013 09:51 PM

Sounds like the new master/slave isn't pushing the throwout bearing arm far enough.

Were you having these symptoms before the new master & slave?

As far as my problem goes, I'm just going to pull the tranny on it. It's started growling now on start up, RPM & vehicle speed have no effect on it, nor does the position of the clutch or. Does it any time the engine is running regardless if it's in neutral or a gear. It's not motor noise. It's definitely coming from the bell housing. Leading me to think the pilot bearing is about to crap the bed. I'm just gonna rebuild everything. Clutch, flywheel, master/slave, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, everything. I want to be done with it.

There goes my money for new tires. :atomic: