Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Florida Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f71/)
-   -   Withlacoochee Park (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f71/withlacoochee-park-345369.html)

staticattic 10-16-2013 09:55 PM

Withlacoochee Park

Has anyone been to Withlacoochee Park recently? It's not too terribly far from my house so I was thinking about rolling up to it this weekend to check it out. From the pictures I have found on the internets, it looks pretty cool. Other than Withlacoochee Park in Brooksville, what else is around the Lutz/Land o Lakes/Dade City/Wesley Chapel area?

HanktheJeep 10-17-2013 01:07 PM

I'm tentatively planning on going to Withlacoochee Friday evening in Lacanto/Brooksville since its only 20 minutes from my house, I take impromptu rides out there all the time. The hills are fun to climb on an to stretch your suspension. Just let me know if you would like to meet up or heading this way.

Nick

The Newbie 10-17-2013 03:06 PM

I would be up to meet you up there this Friday, I would be heading from Tampa. So about an hour and a half drive

staticattic 10-17-2013 08:37 PM

I can't go Friday, but I can on Saturday. Anyone going on Saturday by any chance?

The Newbie 10-18-2013 12:30 AM

I have work until 2:15, but after that I could head up there instead of going friday

HanktheJeep 10-18-2013 09:46 AM

I will try to get out there Saturday. I'm going out there tonight with my wife. I would like to be able to use my new Gopro cam for some good off roading shots (not for just winching out pt cruisers stuck in sugar sand lol).

staticattic 10-18-2013 06:05 PM

I'm down for whenever. Never been, so I don't know what to expect. My wife finally got her Sahara today, so I am trying to talk her into going as well, but she hasn't totally made up her mind. She's not ready to get it dirty yet. LOL.

The Newbie 10-18-2013 09:34 PM

Its a Jeep, it gets dirty just sitting there, it attracts dirt lol

So are what time are you going to head up that way?

HanktheJeep 10-18-2013 10:02 PM

ok im definitely in. i just went out there tonight with my wife, the sugar sand on some trails is pretty soft due to lack of rain and most of the mud holes are also dried up. theres a few places to climb up some steep washouts and hills. theres a few places that will make your jeep flex pretty good. stayed in 4hi all night, no doors and didnt get dirty... but i wasnt looking to getting dirty tonight.

staticattic 10-18-2013 10:18 PM

A guy I work with is coming with me in his JKU. We are probably going to get there around 11ish, but we are more than likely going to stay awhile. I was hoping my wife would bring her new Sahara, but she just got it today and the tires are still "shiny," so she doesn't want to get it dirty yet. But it's cool, she is going to ride shotgun in mine.

HanktheJeep 10-18-2013 10:45 PM

Do you guys have CBs? Cell service is pretty spotty out there. Ill be out there at about 1230 on ch. 16.

The Newbie 10-18-2013 10:47 PM

Me and two others will be up there around 3:30, so if you guys are still up there, were do you want to meet up?

HanktheJeep 10-18-2013 11:06 PM

I'm sure ill still be out there, time flies. How does Holder mine campground on trail 10 sound?

The Newbie 10-18-2013 11:29 PM

I have a cb, I'll set it to ch 16 but I haven't tuned the thing yet so I don't know how far it goes. If I can find it then I will meet you there.

The Newbie 10-18-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Newbie (Post 5483290)
I have a cb, I'll set it to ch 16 but I haven't tuned the thing yet so I don't know how far it goes. If I can find it then I will meet you there.

Alright I figured out where it is and how to get there. It should, according to the map, only take an hour and 30 min. So I will be there around 3:30

staticattic 10-19-2013 12:01 AM

I don't have a CB, not yet anyway. Out of my party, none of us have been there before. That being said, we'll try to find Holder camp and try to make sure our running around has us there by 1530. Just in case we don't make it, don't feel obligated to wait for us, go have your fun. By the way, I'm in a black 2 door Oscar Mike.

HanktheJeep 10-19-2013 11:13 AM

Ill be heading out on trails 16 an 9 in about an hour

staticattic 10-19-2013 11:30 AM

I'm here, but haven't found the jeep trails yet. I'm at the corner of Cortez and Croom Rital. I just talked to some dudes on bicycles and they said I am close.

HanktheJeep 10-19-2013 11:51 AM

Oh you went to croom off 75. I was thinking you were going to citrus/lecanto. I haven't been out that way.

HanktheJeep 10-19-2013 12:44 PM

Heading to original location. Ill be out there messing around.

staticattic 10-19-2013 04:10 PM

Wish I would have seen this earlier. We ended up at Withlacoochee Hunting Something Something trail head and went in from there. The trails were numbered, but we made so many turns, I lost count. My partner ended up popping something on his transmission shifter. His was stuck in 4L and the shifter would just loosely jiggle around, like it wasn't attached to anything. We made it out of the woods fine, but he had to drive all the way to Clearwater in 4L. The trails themselves were decent, mostly sand. We found a few mud holes to drive through and there were some large sand pit areas where we could do doughnuts and whatnot. My Jeep was pretty dirty by the time I got home, inside and out. I popped my cherry today and I am eager to get off road again. I work 4 tens instead of 5 eights, so I am off every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. If you or anyone else wants to get together and head out there again, I'm down. I am in Pasco, so Withlacoochee is not that far from my house. I had a good time today, but going with someone familiar with the area would be cool.

HanktheJeep 10-19-2013 04:30 PM

Damn, that sucks. Sounds like the shift linkage broke. Mine has a hard time staying in 4low sometimes. I drove around aimlessly by myself looking for people who were stuck. did some hill climbing. All the mud pits that I knew of where all dry. Iowa's sorta hoping for rain to replenish the pits, even tho I left my doors and top at home. That sugar sand is relentless like powder. I hope we can get together next time. Ill post some vids I took as soon as I upload on to the PC.

staticattic 10-19-2013 08:53 PM

Yeah, that sand gets everywhere. The inside of my cab looked like someone filled some balloons with white and brown baby powder and then popped them. The entire inside was covered with powder. But, I had my Sunrider top open and the windows down. Even though it was a pain to clean up, it seemed par for the course and totally worth it.

IRT his shifter, you are correct. It was a linkage and something he was able to fix. Earlier he let me know he fixed it and was back in the road.

Lessons learned today:
Even though we both had tow straps, neither of us had a shovel or any type of tool kit. Both of those would have probably been handy to have around. And what about first aid kits? Do any of you guys usually pack some sort of first aid? Something else I think would have been handy would have been some walkie talkies. I am a trail rookie, but I'm learning. ;)

I'm ready for my next adventure. Tomorrow is my 3yo's birthday, so tomorrow is totally out. But next weekend I should have at least one day open if anyone wants to ride out. Like I said, it would be nice to go with someone familiar with the area, at least once. Beyond Withlacoochee, are there any other areas in the Pasco area? I'm still a rookie, so I don't yet have a preference over mud, moderate sand, or trails. I'm good with trying anything a stock Jeep should be able to handle.

dangle 10-19-2013 10:16 PM

I always bring a first aid kit, tool box, water, folding shovel, an Audubon FL field guide, binocs, flashlights and tow straps.

Forget the walkies and get cbs when you can.

dangle 10-19-2013 10:17 PM

Oh yeah, and a decent knife and fruit/nuts.

The Newbie 10-19-2013 11:55 PM

I got out there around 3:45-4, but didn't really see anyone, I was lucky enough to find two good pits with a little bit of mud left in them. Then found the one deep pit on trail 17 in citrus and was stuck in that for a few hours trying to fin someone to pull me out

HanktheJeep 10-20-2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staticattic (Post 5499658)
Yeah, that sand gets everywhere. The inside of my cab looked like someone filled some balloons with white and brown baby powder and then popped them. The entire inside was covered with powder. But, I had my Sunrider top open and the windows down. Even though it was a pain to clean up, it seemed par for the course and totally worth it.

IRT his shifter, you are correct. It was a linkage and something he was able to fix. Earlier he let me know he fixed it and was back in the road.

Lessons learned today:
Even though we both had tow straps, neither of us had a shovel or any type of tool kit. Both of those would have probably been handy to have around. And what about first aid kits? Do any of you guys usually pack some sort of first aid? Something else I think would have been handy would have been some walkie talkies. I am a trail rookie, but I'm learning. ;)

I'm ready for my next adventure. Tomorrow is my 3yo's birthday, so tomorrow is totally out. But next weekend I should have at least one day open if anyone wants to ride out. Like I said, it would be nice to go with someone familiar with the area, at least once. Beyond Withlacoochee, are there any other areas in the Pasco area? I'm still a rookie, so I don't yet have a preference over mud, moderate sand, or trails. I'm good with trying anything a stock Jeep should be able to handle.

That's good it was an easy fix. I always have a case of water, shovel, first aid kit, tool bag, knives, razors, mini led flashlights, trail maps, maps cached on my cell, xtra cellphone battery, tow strap, an probably add cold weather gear now winter is coming.
I grew up in pasco an they pretty much closed everything off over there. There's one place in Hudson people go to but I'm not too sure. I think Tabber knows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Newbie (Post 5503858)
I got out there around 3:45-4, but didn't really see anyone, I was lucky enough to find two good pits with a little bit of mud left in them. Then found the one deep pit on trail 17 in citrus and was stuck in that for a few hours trying to fin someone to pull me out

I should've stayed out there longer I was on trail 17 and I almost decided to play in that large puddle but I didn't because every other pit was dry and figured there's a reason why it still has water... It ain't shallow! I drive that trail alot and if you don't know the area well enough you wouldnt know. I got bored actually an was driving around looking for stuck vehicles.

Knuckles65 10-20-2013 07:27 AM

Don't mean to butt into your posts since this isn't really Withlacoochee related, but something caught my attention while reading about what gear to take with you...

I don't see anyone mentioning is a fire extinguisher. This can literally be a life, and Jeep, saver. They don't have to be huge, but since everyone in our group has one, we're all carrying smaller ones - Mine is a 2.5 pound mounted to the roll bar.

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/...ps36c4e00c.jpg

Anyway - didn't mean to butt in but just thought I'd throw that out there.

HanktheJeep 10-20-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckles65 (Post 5506730)
Don't mean to butt into your posts since this isn't really Withlacoochee related, but something caught my attention while reading about what gear to take with you...

I don't see anyone mentioning is a fire extinguisher. This can literally be a life, and Jeep, saver. They don't have to be huge, but since everyone in our group has one, we're all carrying smaller ones - Mine is a 2.5 pound mounted to the roll bar.

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/...ps36c4e00c.jpg

Anyway - didn't mean to butt in but just thought I'd throw that out there.

Yea that is a good idea, Ive been meaning to get one for the past few months.