Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Paid deposit on 88 YJ (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/paid-deposit-on-88-yj-34848.html)

knapp016 08-13-2009 10:50 PM

Paid deposit on 88 YJ
 
Just paid $1800 deposit on the YJ that I am purchasing. Went to plattsburgh ny where i go to college tuesday and checked it out. Its an 88 YJ 5 spd with 120km on it. The body was in good condition with just a small rust patch about the size of a dollar bill. The frame was in really good condition with just some surface rust here and there. Its got a 2 inch body lift and swamper tires on it. I drove it for about 5 miles, it started right up and drove straight down the road. The only thing that didnt work was the heater, which i think i can get him to take off a hundred bucks off the final price for unless its just a fuse. But other than that it shifted smooth and 2wheel drive and 4 wd worked. Hes asking $3500 all in all, this seem a bit high? Anything else I should look at b4 i completely commit? Hope to have pics up soon, psyched to get my new/old yj! any input would b appreciated

Levinoss 08-13-2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knapp016 (Post 421393)
Just paid $1800 deposit on the YJ that I am purchasing. Went to plattsburgh ny where i go to college tuesday and checked it out. Its an 88 YJ 5 spd with 120km on it. The body was in good condition with just a small rust patch about the size of a dollar bill. The frame was in really good condition with just some surface rust here and there. Its got a 2 inch body lift and swamper tires on it. I drove it for about 5 miles, it started right up and drove straight down the road. The only thing that didnt work was the heater, which i think i can get him to take off a hundred bucks off the final price for unless its just a fuse. But other than that it shifted smooth and 2wheel drive and 4 wd worked. Hes asking $3500 all in all, this seem a bit high? Anything else I should look at b4 i completely commit? Hope to have pics up soon, psyched to get my new/old yj! any input would b appreciated

Aint worth no 3,500! RUN

Seriously tho post up some pics of the under side and the interior+ under the carpet specially the passenger side floor. I'd maybe pay that much if it had a nice lift but just a body lift I'd talk him down to just that deposit or at most 2k total if it doesn't have rust on the inside. What trim package is it? I would also quote a heater and take that out of what he wants for it if you are going to be using it for a daily driver but that is just me. Buyers market right now so use that to your advantage.

kik 08-14-2009 07:46 AM

I have an 89 4.2 5spd with 95,000. Everything you can think of has been replaced and I couldn't get 3,500 for it. You're paying too much. Shouldn't pay more than 2,500. Just an opinion.

dos0711 08-14-2009 07:53 AM

Wow...guess it depends on where your at. In Florida, Wranglers seldom sell under 3k.

Levinoss 08-14-2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dos0711 (Post 421526)
Wow...guess it depends on where your at. In Florida, Wranglers seldom sell under 3k.

I think it is a southern thing. I know they are worth more in Texas compared to the ones I have seen here in Kentucky and when I lived in Missouri. You get the enjoy the soft top more it seems in the areas where you really only have one season and that is HOT. Though I noticed here in Kentucky where I am at they really value the 4wd's for the winters.

nemo 08-14-2009 04:50 PM

nada calls for 3's for a really good condition, sounds like it is more 25hundred to me? I just paid 2,500 for an '89 4cyl spd soft top only. body and paint is good condition. pictures coming soon. I'm here in VA.

Geoff@Bestop 08-14-2009 05:25 PM

knapp016:
I think it's a little overpriced too. But if you can't get your deposit back, don't worry too much about it. I did WAY stupider things when I was in college, and no doubt you will too.

It will be a fun car, and very useful this winter. Get a tow strap and rescue other college students.

nemo 08-14-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 421946)
knapp016:
I think it's a little overpriced too. But if you can't get your deposit back, don't worry too much about it. I did WAY stupider things when I was in college, and no doubt you will too.

It will be a fun car, and very useful this winter. Get a tow strap and rescue other college students.

+1
if you can get out of it and take it, don't look back, don't worry what you did or did not pay. I bought a 2001 cherokee 4 years ago for $12,000 fair book value. maybe put 30k on the clock since then because I've been a daily rider on my Victory motorcycle. the motor just blew in the cherokee, but fortunetly it is paid for, yet that is biggest lost I've ever taken. no big deal, ain't looking back. happy that it led me to get the '89 wrangler....

uplifted 08-14-2009 08:22 PM

Same here downstate a bit from plattsburgh.. You seldom see a YJ any cheaper than 3 grand period.... I won't even say what i just paid for my 91 YJ just 2 weeks ago :doh:

95muddyYJ 08-14-2009 09:01 PM

That is a little high for what Wranglers are going for here but not stupid high. If it seems good and you have the money go for it.
I think you could find a better deal. Wranglers are going for around 2000-3000 I found a 95 for $1000 but I found a steal. I think if you keep saving up and keep a sharp eye out I think you can find the same or better jeep for less. Just my opinion. Of course I am a newb at Wranglers but am learning.

4Jeepn 08-14-2009 10:52 PM

okay why does it have 120km vs 120k miles??? its it a US jeep or can? Price will vary of course.. but 88's are not really what most people want... 1991 and newer with fuel injection to me are the way to go in a YJ.

ccain 08-15-2009 12:18 AM

If that thing has rust on it anywhere I would scrupulously look over the frame.
And I would say (IMO) that without the rust on the frame, the way it sets, it's not worth much more than your deposit. With rust on the frame, run like hell unless you have access to a good donor vehicle.

morphious 08-15-2009 09:06 AM

well i agree with cain but i also know that it seems the farther north u go the more ur going to pay for a jeep because nobody usually parts with them they just go through the snow to well or they get turned into mud trucks u can fix a frame i'm useing mine that i had to weld in to new tail pieces on to and she's held up preaty good for me so if u like it and have some time to put work in to it and u will need to then go for it

lwszabo 08-16-2009 07:18 PM

I would not loose the 1800 deposit, if you can get it back run if not buy. Jeeps go for quite a bit more here in NC. I almost could not touch a nice YJ for under $3500. The only reason I got mine cheaper was the guy who was willing to pay full price wanted to meet with the guy several times and the seller almost lost his job..it was cheaper to take my offer!!

scrambler1 08-16-2009 08:32 PM

Up here in vermont it is hard to find a decent YJ any year clean for under $3500.00
Thats why I travel to get mine.
You did not do that bad ther are worse deals out there. As long as you are happy is all that counts.

dos0711 08-17-2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrambler1 (Post 423098)
Up here in vermont it is hard to find a decent YJ any year clean for under $3500.00
Thats why I travel to get mine.
You did not do that bad ther are worse deals out there. As long as you are happy is all that counts.

Well said!

knapp016 08-17-2009 09:43 PM

thanks guys for all the advice ill deff try to get him to go down on the price and check it over again b4 i buy

nemo 08-18-2009 07:33 AM

hope it works out well. i would ask more than a $100.00 off for the heater, it could be a little more than that to correct.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.