Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   Speaker adapter plate...advise needed (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/speaker-adapter-plate-advise-needed-34900.html)

machocheese 08-15-2009 11:19 AM

Speaker adapter plate...advise needed

The other day I went to my local hardware store and purchased a small sheet of 22 guage steel (12"x18"...$4).

With this, I made my own adapter plates for the front dash, took about an hour and a half total time. Everything mounts up just fine....except, I don't have a 4 1/2" hole saw, and don't plan on buying one ($30+).

So my dilema is, now I have perfect adapter blanks and no way to cut the hole for the actual speakers. I was thinking about tracing out the circle, drilling holes on the trace line, then following through with a hack saw blade.

Any ideas to make this any easier?

Thanks,
Michael

machocheese 08-15-2009 11:41 AM

Also, I had noticed that while I had the speakers out, a great deal of sound was lost to the way they had the speakers angled.

I was thinking of fabbing up some 1/4"-1/2" spacers for the bottom part of the bracket to re-angle the speakers from my shins, to at least be aiming at my knees...lol.

Sounds corny, but even that little bit helps (or at least should).

AdvanZ33 08-27-2009 02:14 PM

I forked out the $20+ for the adapters. The spacers are a good idea though, I wonder how much clearance there is to work with...

G-Pur 08-27-2009 04:22 PM

dremel baby, dremell!

machocheese 08-28-2009 10:46 AM

A dremel would be nice to have. Loaned mine out about 8 years ago, still waiting for it to come home.

I was under the impression that the company who made them (adapters) were no longer in business. I also figured it'd be pretty fun (and cheaper) to make my own. I didn't take (couldn't) any measurements for the spacers. I need to get the speaker holes drilled, and then a mock-up with speakers and side covers to check for clearance...and then play around with different size spacers.

jrhorton 09-07-2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machocheese (Post 430991)
A dremel would be nice to have. Loaned mine out about 8 years ago, still waiting for it to come home.

I was under the impression that the company who made them (adapters) were no longer in business. I also figured it'd be pretty fun (and cheaper) to make my own. I didn't take (couldn't) any measurements for the spacers. I need to get the speaker holes drilled, and then a mock-up with speakers and side covers to check for clearance...and then play around with different size spacers.

I've got a set that I just took out of my '06 rubicon yesterday to re-install the factory stereo. I'm trading it in this week. If you want them, $10 and I'll send them via USmail for free. If you want them priority, just pay the cost for the 2-3 day fee. They're like new. Email me at jrhorton54 at yahoo dot com (replace the words with the proper symbols). You can pay with paypal and have them this week.

I used the synthetic fiber to stuff up behind the speakers and it worked well for the past 4 years. You can buy this at any crafts store for a few bucks a bag.

John