Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   HELP Doors Wont Come Off (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/help-doors-wont-come-off-35102.html)

bryandhispup 08-18-2009 04:37 PM

HELP Doors Wont Come Off

Oh please help me! My YJ's doors wont come off. I have removed the nut, cleaned the area with wd-40, let dry. I then sprayed a liquid wrench type of lubricant, (not wd-40), and swung the door back and forth for a while...

Lifted straight up and the whole jeep rocked, but alas the door is still on...

Any Suggestions?:banghead:

beefmobile 08-18-2009 04:46 PM

Rubber mallet!!!

and maybe some PB blaster. also, while you're lifting up, rock the door in and out--it helps....

lemme know if you still cant get them out..

bryandhispup 08-18-2009 04:47 PM

PS Sawzall/Tortch : NO!

bryandhispup 08-18-2009 04:48 PM

tried the mallet too, now i have a bit of a dent, maybe i swung too hard? OOPS I was really frustrated.

What is PB Blaster?

beefmobile 08-18-2009 04:49 PM

uh.........are you saying you heated up and sawed your doors off?

are you a caveman???

lol

beefmobile 08-18-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryandhispup (Post 424380)
tried the mallet too, now i have a bit of a dent, maybe i swung too hard? OOPS I was really frustrated.

you dented a steel door with a rubber mallet??? :eek::eek:

how is that even possible

bryandhispup 08-18-2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beefmobile (Post 424381)
uh.........are you saying you heated up and sawed your doors off?

are you a caveman???

lol

NO NO NO i was saying these are tool i will not use to do this

Quote:

Originally Posted by beefmobile (Post 424382)
you dented a steel door with a rubber mallet??? :eek::eek:

how is that even possible

i am wearing a superman shirt...LOL

Really though, it's small more like persuaded the steel in the direction of my mallet...

birdhunter 08-18-2009 05:39 PM

You lift as you are swinging all the way front to back

NAVYCHIEF 08-18-2009 05:42 PM

if a full door, open the window push up with your arms or back and lift wtih your legs. some hinges have a nylon spacer in them. if yours do, do not lose them.

copleydad 08-18-2009 06:57 PM

Think back to physics class. Put a 2x4, shovel handle, crowbar under the door and over the door sill with the door open about a foot and lift (lever and fulcrum, remember?) and the door should pop right up. Just put the lever as close to the hinge side of the door as possible.

The rubber mallet should only be used on the feder if you drop the door on your foot.

1992wranglersahara 08-18-2009 07:09 PM

I agree with copleydad, but grab someone to help you, should the door actually pop out.. remember, you are wearing your Superman shirt

NAVYCHIEF 08-18-2009 10:11 PM

and hopefully steel toed shoes.

wtf is with my jeep 08-19-2009 11:34 AM

sawzall lmao

skinnyR1 08-19-2009 11:36 AM

wood block and a jack under the door, while swinging it open to close.

morphious 08-19-2009 01:29 PM

soak the thing in pb blaster or wd 40 worked on mine no prob also make sure the nut is not on the bottom of the top hinge i'v seen this done dont know why but they thought it was a good idea so who knows

dos0711 08-19-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beefmobile (Post 424377)
...while you're lifting up, rock the door in and out..

That's how I always get mine out. After that they are not so difficult next time.

bryandhispup 08-19-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copleydad (Post 424436)
Think back to physics class. Put a 2x4, shovel handle, crowbar under the door and over the door sill with the door open about a foot and lift (lever and fulcrum, remember?) and the door should pop right up. Just put the lever as close to the hinge side of the door as possible.

The rubber mallet should only be used on the feder if you drop the door on your foot.

This worked^:D

Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help!:punk:

while I was at is fabbed up some no door day mirrors. It's supposed to be like 78 and sunny on friday...

I'm jacking my own thread but does anyone have a "no weld" footpeg design?

beefmobile 08-19-2009 04:32 PM

like nerf bars or whatever theyre called?

bryandhispup 08-21-2009 09:57 AM

no i am looking for the footrest that attaches to the bottom hinge for the door. so i can rest my foot on it outside. no wthat i have a little time to kill, i'll do a search for it, unless anyone has one... i'd post a pic but i don't have enough posts yet.

whiteyj 08-21-2009 10:06 AM

The internet is your friend.........

Jeepegs - Stainless steel biker-style foot pegs for Jeep Wrangler CJ, YJ, and TJ

bryandhispup 08-21-2009 10:13 AM

those are great! just what I am looking for, but too expensive... I am looking for a DIY no weld version. Thanks whiteyj. (mine is a white yj too!)

NAVYCHIEF 08-21-2009 01:57 PM

you got mirrors? in WA we are required to have a drivers side mirror plus 1. either windshield mount or passengers side. also, be careful with your leg hanging out. it only takes one as---le to rip yer leg off.:punk:

beefmobile 08-21-2009 09:30 PM

in texas i believe its just two anywhere. btw, my pass side mirror doesnt seem to be in rangle to work. i just can see out it. do i need the mirror relocation brackets?

copleydad 08-24-2009 08:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Didn't want to invest a lot of money for mirrors, so found a piece of 1/2" angle bar, some old pickup mirrors, couple of bolts and a can of black paint and fabbed these Obama Ears looking mirrors. Took about an hour to make them up and they work great with the doors off

buckshot500 08-24-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryandhispup (Post 426560)
no i am looking for the footrest that attaches to the bottom hinge for the door. so i can rest my foot on it outside. no wthat i have a little time to kill, i'll do a search for it, unless anyone has one... i'd post a pic but i don't have enough posts yet.

I bent this piece of 3/8" galvo'ed round stock (from tractor supply) in the holes of my hi-lift jack.

Only thing is, it uses both hinge tubes.

You'll want to be in a constant state of being ready to pull your leg back inside within a millisecond! It is kinda nice, but don't put one on the passenger side. If your leg gets smooshed off by a truck, you'll live with that much easier than if it was your passenger's leg.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...lO/footpeg.jpg