Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Winch Advice (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/winch-advice-351306.html)

Jebbernaut 10-20-2013 08:49 PM

Winch Advice
 
I'm looking for some advice on a good winch purchase. I have a 2014 4-door Rubicon. I'm a big believer in getting quality so the price isn't really that big of an issue. I'd rather get something that's going to last. Any advice from my fellow jeepers would be greatly appreciated.

Republican Jeep 10-20-2013 08:59 PM

If you don't mind paying the high price for one, get a Warn Zeon with a synthetic rope. I would go with at least a 9000 lbs.

5JKs 10-20-2013 09:07 PM

Warn 9.5xp - Plenty of power - Warn reliability. I had one of these of a Humvee for about 5 years - always worked, no corrosion -great winch.

Get synthetic line.

apcoleman 10-20-2013 10:12 PM

Would agree with the warn 9.5xp. Have one on the front of my FZJ80 and has never let me down. I immediately put a synth cable for safety and weight saving over the steel.

Originally had a superwinch and hated it. Warn all the way.

Rubi513 10-20-2013 10:21 PM

Warn all the way. I have the 9500 cti-s. I have never had any trouble with it.

Greejk35 10-20-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubi513 (Post 5526370)
warn all the way. I have the 9500 cti-s. I have never had any trouble with it.

x2

derf 10-20-2013 10:55 PM

I have two Warn winches. One that I bought about 12 years ago and it's on it's 3rd Jeep. I've had to replace the cable but it's a trooper.

I also just bought an 8274 that was originally sold in 1977. It's old and the drum release is stuck so it does need a rebuild but it does work just fine. I'm going to do a little rebuild of it and throw it on my CJ. I should be able to get another 35 years without any trouble.

Slik 76 11-01-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 5527426)
I have two Warn winches. One that I bought about 12 years ago and it's on it's 3rd Jeep. I've had to replace the cable but it's a trooper.

I also just bought an 8274 that was originally sold in 1977. It's old and the drum release is stuck so it does need a rebuild but it does work just fine. I'm going to do a little rebuild of it and throw it on my CJ. I should be able to get another 35 years without any trouble.

i have an 8274 that i just put on the for sale thread if you k now anyone who wants one.

doclouie 11-01-2013 07:39 PM

Warn

Sinister6 11-01-2013 08:10 PM

I have a MileMarker 12K works great.

907JEEP 11-01-2013 08:15 PM

Warn

8052949 11-01-2013 09:51 PM

Warn M8000-S solid and can't be beat for 800 bucks

wrh3 11-01-2013 11:05 PM

I bought a Warn Zeon 10 for my Jeep but the Engo 10k has worked well on my wife's Jeep at half the price. Did you read this: Massive Multi-Winch Shootout - Four Wheeler Magazine

vacca foeda 11-01-2013 11:10 PM

If money is no object, warn. Quality and history. I went engo because money is an object. Quality and people's experience seem to be on par with warn, but it doesn't have the history.

Radioman 11-01-2013 11:30 PM

I put a Warn 8274 on my new 78' FJ40 and it was still working great when I sold the Land Cruiser last year. I put a 9.5 cti on the Jeep because of Warn's great reputation and value for the money.

hackbornyu 11-01-2013 11:33 PM

Warn 9.5xp - Plenty of power - Warn reliability.http://esmallgame.com/11g.jpg

Fun4Shay 11-01-2013 11:40 PM

I'm just glad you asked this question. I asked the same question on a Facebook page but spelled "wench" wrong and was offered a few ex girlfriends, wives, mother in-laws and sisters.

Thanks for the great info too!!!!

MOPWR2U 11-01-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 5526370)
Warn all the way. I have the 9500 cti-s. I have never had any trouble with it.

x3

wrh3 11-01-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fun4Shay (Post 5829810)
I'm just glad you asked this question. I asked the same question on a Facebook page but spelled "wench" wrong and was offered a few ex girlfriends, wives, mother in-laws and sisters.

Thanks for the great info too!!!!

:whacky:

derf 11-02-2013 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fun4Shay (Post 5829810)
I'm just glad you asked this question. I asked the same question on a Facebook page but spelled "wench" wrong and was offered a few ex girlfriends, wives, mother in-laws and sisters.

Thanks for the great info too!!!!

I was looking at a new TJ on the lot down in Texas back in the day. It had a few dealer add-ons so it had the extra sticker on the window. Among everything they put on, it said it had an "8,000 lb wench". I asked how that was possible considering the GVWR of the axles. The sales drone had a hard time understanding it until I explained it to him.

jadmt 11-02-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8052949 (Post 5827186)
Warn M8000-S solid and can't be beat for 800 bucks

for a 4 door? I know the actual weight on my last jku was 4900 lbs. I have been trying to decide between the better M8000 and the VR10000 but am worried the M8000 may not have enough pull for a 4dr.

8052949 11-02-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 5836970)
for a 4 door? I know the actual weight on my last jku was 4900 lbs. I have been trying to decide between the better M8000 and the VR10000 but am worried the M8000 may not have enough pull for a 4dr.

It's got no problem pulling my 2 door. If your only going to use it 1-2 times a year go VR10000 if it's going to be used monthly go XD9000

tomaboyd 11-02-2013 11:40 AM

I put a Warn Zeon 10-s on my 10a and love it. If I had to do it all over again I would probably go Zeon 12. Same size as the 10 just mo power!

I would also weigh your jeep. I stopped at a weigh station on the why and mine weighed in at a hefty 5900lbs. Seems I read somewhere on this forum that you should get at least 1.5 times the vehicle weight.

vacca foeda 11-02-2013 12:28 PM

Again, if you aren't too concerned on price, go for a 10-12k. While the 8-9 would probably pull you out alright, especially with a snatch block, you may have trouble helping others who get stuck. I've got a 10k on my 2 door in case I need to help out a 4door or a bigger pickup.

WatchThis! 11-02-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 5836970)

for a 4 door? I know the actual weight on my last jku was 4900 lbs. I have been trying to decide between the better M8000 and the VR10000 but am worried the M8000 may not have enough pull for a 4dr.

I use a M8000 on my 6200lb 4 door and it hasn't let me down yet. I have probably made close to 100 hard pulls on it. Granted it is on its last leg but that is not the winches falt.

WatchThis! 11-02-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchThis! (Post 5839786)

I use a M8000 on my 6200lb 4 door and it hasn't let me down yet. I have probably made close to 100 hard pulls on it. Granted it is on its last leg but that is not the winches falt.

All that being said the M8000 is the smallest I would go with on any JK

rockhard426 11-02-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5jks (Post 5524082)
warn 9.5xp - plenty of power - warn reliability. I had one of these of a humvee for about 5 years - always worked, no corrosion -great winch.

Get synthetic line.

x2

jadmt 11-05-2013 06:28 PM

I pulled the plug on a VR10000 after the $80 rebate it was close to the engo 10000 so I went with Warn.

triggerfin 11-05-2013 07:15 PM

I have been really happy with my M8000 so far on my 13 JKUR, heavily loaded (gobi rack, 35s, front and rear heavy bumpers, full rotopax, camp gear, etc.). I was concerned it wouldn't be enough winch but so far so good. I slid down a snow bank in CO last June - self-recovered up a farily steep, snow covered grade no problem - if I hadn't had it I would have spent the night in the jeep and potentially even lost it. 2 weeks ago I winched a new jeep cherokee out of the sand in Cape Hatteras NC - he was buried to the axle with no tires making contact - no problem and didn't use a snatch block. Good enough for my needs.

1sImage 11-05-2013 08:21 PM

Just bought this, cause it's pure sex.
ZEON 10s

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...ZEON10-S-1.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.