Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Water burning (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/water-burning-35467.html)

Beachbead 08-25-2009 04:22 PM

Water burning
 
I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler and i found out my water is burning up, it's not hittting the ground just burning up slowly as I drive it. can anyone tell me whats wrong with it?

thank you.

jdhallissey 08-25-2009 04:24 PM

Water you mean radiator fluid? Have you found the leak?

jwm1986 08-25-2009 04:28 PM

How often and how much to you lose? Could be a real slow leak from the resevior like my truck had.. I never saw it leak out but it did and that was where.

Beachbead 08-25-2009 04:34 PM

as My stepdad put it it's the water thats burning, thats all i know, I'm not too well known with my Jeep yet. >.< nope haven't found it, we poured water in where the water goes and we didn't see any leak's. the jeep man said it was the gauges. and it would cost around $4 to $500 dollars to fix.

birdhunter 08-25-2009 04:35 PM

Small pin holes it will be a little stream of steam
very hard to see
just keep it filled to see how much, in how long ,you are losing
new radiator

Beachbead 08-25-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwm1986 (Post 429134)
How often and how much to you lose? Could be a real slow leak from the resevior like my truck had.. I never saw it leak out but it did and that was where.

I don't know how much water the jeep losses it seems a slow one. it maybe that the resevior.I hope so.

jdhallissey 08-25-2009 04:45 PM

I would add some coolant to it too just not always water.

Beachbead 08-25-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdhunter (Post 429141)
Small pin holes it will be a little stream of steam
very hard to see
just keep it filled to see how much, in how long ,you are losing
new radiator

Thank you I'll ask the jeep man to check the Radiator first before ripping apart.

Jerry Bransford 08-25-2009 05:00 PM

It sounds like you may have a blown head gasket if you're losing coolant but it's not leaking out onto the ground. If that's the case, the water is leaking via the bad head gasket into the combustion chambers and getting out via the exhaust system.

A radiator shop can test your coolant with a "sniffer" that can detect combustion gasses in your coolant to confirm whether or not there is a blown head gasket.

woods453 08-25-2009 06:01 PM

Agreed. Whatever you do, don't just replace the radiator. That's expensive and it could be a thousand other things. I've fixed a few different coolant leaks and still have the stock radiator. I had a dealer tell me 4 years ago that I needed a new radiator - what a moron.

first timer 08-25-2009 10:10 PM

water
 
I agree with Jerry on the head gasket-let it sit and cool down and then start it up and walk back and smell the exaust-if it smells sweet then it probly is head gasket-leak probly never show as exaust burns it when you drive it.

first timer 08-25-2009 10:11 PM

water
 
:)I agree with Jerry on the head gasket-let it sit and cool down and then start it up and walk back and smell the exaust-if it smells sweet then it probly is head gasket-leak probly never show as exaust burns it when you drive it.

Beachbead 08-26-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 429154)
It sounds like you may have a blown head gasket if you're losing coolant but it's not leaking out onto the ground. If that's the case, the water is leaking via the bad head gasket into the combustion chambers and getting out via the exhaust system.

A radiator shop can test your coolant with a "sniffer" that can detect combustion gasses in your coolant to confirm whether or not there is a blown head gasket.

Thank you, I checked it out when it was cooled down and found out it was doing like you said, rats it's going to cost, but oh well, I guess it's worth it.

thanks again guys for the help ^^

jdhallissey 08-26-2009 03:23 PM

well if you ask around were you live there might be some jeepers willing to help fix it with ya for pizza and beverage of choice. :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.