Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   my tj and water aren't mixing (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/my-tj-and-water-arent-mixing-3559.html)

activelydying 10-21-2006 05:17 PM

my tj and water aren't mixing

i got a 99 sahara a few months ago and this being my first jeep, i just wanted to see what it was capable of. i hit some small trails and some decent puddles behind a local shopping center. when i was leaving the area the jeep would hesitate, almost like it was going to stall out, and then go. it would do this at low speeds for a while. i have had trucks in the past and have done much rougher riding with those vehicles but never had this problem. everything is stock on the jeep. any ideas?

khenderson 10-21-2006 05:21 PM

water and your tps don't mix at all. i've shorted mine out running through water. are you getting a check engine light?

activelydying 10-21-2006 05:25 PM

yes it is, just for a little.

khenderson 10-21-2006 06:03 PM

i'd take it to an auto zone then and have them pull the code. they can only get it when the light it on, but i'd bet u shorted a sensor out.

activelydying 10-21-2006 06:04 PM

what is tps

khenderson 10-21-2006 06:04 PM

throttle position sensor. it's on the back of the throttle body. it REALLY doesn't like water.

Scout 10-21-2006 06:05 PM

Uhh, how deep was the water?

activelydying 10-21-2006 06:05 PM

i just kind of thought a jeep would be able to go through a few puddles with no problems.

activelydying 10-21-2006 06:06 PM

the puddles may have been a foot deep at the most

khenderson 10-21-2006 06:09 PM

it's not necessarily the depth of the puddle, but if you splashed water up and it got into certain electronics, that's where the problem can occur. i had no trouble for a long time with water. some have had nothing but trouble with water. it all just varies and i think dumb luck has alot to do with it sometimes.

activelydying 10-21-2006 06:20 PM

do you think adding a 2inch lift kit and maybe a skid plate for the engine would help.

amerijeep 10-21-2006 09:46 PM

That'll help, probably. The best thing you can do is stay out of the water though.

Mudweiser 10-21-2006 09:55 PM

If your like me, and someone telling you to stay out of the water is about as good as telling a monkey to stay out of trees, your best bet is to figure out the problem and just remedy it so it doesnt happen again. The best way for fixing something is for it to go wrong so you can make sure it doesnt happen again. I run my Jeep in up to 3-4 feet of water every weekend. Ive spent hours waterproofing and coming up with new ways for it not to happen again. Not sure if your year model has the coil rails or if you still have a distributor, but thas a major thing that can cause hesitation if they arent sealed properly. The tps can foul out but if your intake system is tightened up and the harnesses siliconed in , it wont make any difference to it. Jeeps are made for treading deep water but there is alot of things you can do to help it out. You will discover them and come up with your own ideas if you keep playing with it. The sky is the limit. No mud hole too deep...no hill too steep. Have fun with it :)