Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Third brake light (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/third-brake-light-35658.html)

Dukes 08-29-2009 09:52 AM

Third brake light

I have a after market rear bumper/tire carrier. With this in place, I have lost the OEM third brake light. I am sure DMV will break my chops. Any suggestions on where to get a third brake light?

05GT-O.C.D. 08-29-2009 09:59 AM

How about the one that goes in the middle hub section of your spare tires' wheel?

Dukes 08-29-2009 12:21 PM

was trying to place one on top of the A frame of the tire mount. I never thought trying to find a rear light to do that would be such a pain. I have been to a couple different auto stores and they don't have jack.

4Jeepn 08-29-2009 12:24 PM

try tractor supply if there is one near you.

TeamFATBOY 08-29-2009 12:29 PM

Are you sure it's required? I'd check first before stressing about it. Next time I take my spare off, I'm losing mine and if anythings ever said about it I'm going to the dumbass defense and act like I didn't know nothing about it!:rolleyes:

njkeagle 08-29-2009 12:34 PM

I think you are OK without the third light unless it;s a huge law in DE. I think the most important is that if there is a light on it should work, but if there is no light at all I don't think it's a huge deal. Also I think it's like the door if it was so illegal to do it why would the make it in a way that you can take it off. But, I can be wrong on this:)

Dukes 08-29-2009 01:00 PM

That's what I was told by a couple of friends. That if one is not in place, I don't have to worry about it but if there is one there it has to work. I guess I'll find out.

jwm1986 08-29-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukes (Post 431669)
That's what I was told by a couple of friends. That if one is not in place, I don't have to worry about it but if there is one there it has to work. I guess I'll find out.

That's how it is around here! I've been pulled over without one on mine and they never said anything.. Just the main brake light/plate light that had burned out...

05GT-O.C.D. 08-29-2009 01:40 PM

Even if it's not required, it's still very important. Now that almost evey car on the road has the third lamps, you're almost conditioned to watch for that as an indicator that someone is braking, even more so than just simply watching for brighter (brake) lights. I'd still be sure to find a way to get one on there for safety's sake.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 08-29-2009 10:18 PM

x2 on the Center Cap Light Mod.

From what I've heard it's a very cheap and easy Mod.
I can't seem to find the picture that I was looking for,
but after it's done it looks great man!
Here's a link that may help you if you're interested.

LED Flush Mount Tail Lights - 1

Reise ” FearŠin 10-22-2009 04:41 PM

I scrapped mine the first day I had my TJ, been stopped allot more than once, in allot more than one state and have NEVER even been asked about it.

Schmo 10-22-2009 04:49 PM

Here ya go . . . less than 15 bucks too!!! I have their rear bumper but never got around to installing this . . . I've been harassed/ticketed for not having covers on my offroad lights and having tinted windows, but the third brake light has never come up.

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Imag...3/66913-md.jpg

Rock Hard 4X4 RH2002-TL - Rock Hard 4x4 Parts Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier 3rd Brake Light - Quadratec

baja 10-23-2009 06:20 PM

whats the reason for covers on your off road lights,so you can't brightlite folks?Oh how I love hicksville!

05GT-O.C.D. 10-23-2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 467328)
whats the reason for covers on your off road lights,so you can't brightlite folks?Oh how I love hicksville!

Ummm... are you in the right thread? :confused:

baja 10-24-2009 10:23 PM

Schmo said he was ticketed for not havin covers on his.READ