Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Rancho vs bilstein (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/rancho-vs-bilstein-356810.html)

steve_plunkett 10-23-2013 11:28 PM

Rancho vs bilstein

I have a stock 06 wrangler with 31 inch tires and want to upgrade the shocks and cant deicde between the yellow HD bilsteins or rancho 9000s. I know theres info on it but cant find the info i want. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

JohnDoe 10-24-2013 12:01 AM

I was in the same boat as you are a while ago, but I decided to save my money and get the blistein 5165-5160(I think that's the right number). I decided against the ranchos because there travel length SUCKS in comparison to the blisteins.

leninade 10-24-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve_plunkett (Post 5607618)
I have a stock 06 wrangler with 31 inch tires and want to upgrade the shocks and cant deicde between the yellow HD bilsteins or rancho 9000s. I know theres info on it but cant find the info i want. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I was recently in this same boat as you. I read tons of threads on this topic. Generally, it seemed like the Bilsteins were more favored. I ended up going with the ranchos because I liked the idea of being able to adjust them. So far (like 2 weeks), they are way better than the rough country 2.2s that I had on before. I'm hoping to give them a real test this weekend though :)

Sinister6 10-24-2013 12:23 AM

I've ran BOTH! The Rancho are like 9 shocks in one and can be dialed in to meet your needs. The Bilsteins replaced the Ranchos and were stiff and firm...very noticable right away...not I can't tell. When I replace the Bilsteins I'd consider both and price would be the deciding factor...

OmniscientHiers 10-24-2013 12:29 AM

Rancho's are a bit softer. I prefer Bilstein's quality and design, however the 9000xL are a bit better when compared to the general 5100s and under.

JohnDoe 10-24-2013 12:40 AM

Yeah I forgot to mention price, I'll be dropping roughly 190 per shock :D , granted they do have a remote reservoir. So they will last me a bit longer and extra travel length. Those 2 were important things to me when searching, not the price, so that is why i made the choice

carlojp 10-24-2013 05:30 AM

I'm happy with my Bilsteins. Smoother ride compared to Rancho's.

lynn 10-24-2013 09:01 AM

Since you are in PA, the Rancho 9000XLs need some extra attention because the adjuster (under the knob and plate) will rust because of PA winter road salt, and in a couple years they will no longer be adjustable.
You need to take the plate off and treat the adjuster with a good coat of anti-seize or waterproof grease, then add this to annual maintenance.

Other than this, I love the 9000XLs on my LJ.

steve_plunkett 10-24-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn (Post 5612970)
Since you are in PA, the Rancho 9000XLs need some extra attention because the adjuster (under the knob and plate) will rust because of PA winter road salt, and in a couple years they will no longer be adjustable. You need to take the plate off and treat the adjuster with a good coat of anti-seize or waterproof grease, then add this to annual maintenance. Other than this, I love the 9000XLs on my LJ.

I would have never even thought if that. Good point on the adjusters rotting out.

Rancho 10-24-2013 03:41 PM

Take advantage of Shocktober, if you are interested.

Rancho Suspension: RANCHO® ?SHOCKTOBER®? BUY 4 FOR THE PRICE OF 3! PROMOTION

Also save your receipt, Limited Lifetime warranty on our shocks too.

Good luck in your choice.