Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Head Gasket? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/head-gasket-35716.html)

kerrycorcoran 08-30-2009 04:53 PM

Head Gasket?

2002 Wrangler - approximately 97,000 mikes (4.0 / 5-sp)

The Wrangler runs fine. This past summer has been hot and when I use the AC I noticed dampness up on the passenger floor carpet. I lifted the carpet and had small amount of water build up. I searched the forums and read I had a possible Heater Core issue.
Yesterday I removed the Heater Core and it showed no evidence of problems. This leads me to my second possible issue, Head Gasket? When the Wrangler gets hot (running the AC on a hot day), once I turn off the motor I hear a 'gurgling' sound coming from under he hood. The Wrangler doesn't have any loss of power, and by all accounts seems to run fine - other than this issue.
Is there a method I can definatively determine if the Head Gasket is bad?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Kerry

jpdocdave 08-30-2009 05:04 PM

possibly just the a/c drain is clogged, happens a lot. i do not associate clear water on the floor w/ head gasket, or heater core. if it was coolant then it is heater core.

kerrycorcoran 08-30-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 432243)
possibly just the a/c drain is clogged, happens a lot. i do not associate clear water on the floor w/ head gasket, or heater core. if it was coolant then it is heater core.

That's what is so odd. I checked the a/c drain as well. There was a small amount of debry build up on the a/c unit itself (I cleaned this away), but the drain itself was clear.

I just hate to assume its the head gasket, but not sure whatelse it could be.

:banghead:

jpdocdave 08-30-2009 05:16 PM

are you still getting water on the floor? is it clear?

kerrycorcoran 08-30-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 432255)
are you still getting water on the floor? is it clear?

The water on the floorboard is clear, however I initially thought it had a 'sweet' taste to it, so I was thinking Heater Core. Now, it seems VERY clear, and no residue from anti-freeze.

I just finished cleaning all the water out and removed the carpet. I am going to watch it for a few days. I have not re-charged my A/C system, so I won't be able to run the A/C - should that make a difference?

jpdocdave 08-30-2009 05:30 PM

if the a/c isn't charged it won't make condensation and no water will even go out of the drain. i say dry it off and check it, if its clear, and you have coolant in your engine you don't have an engine related problem.

kerrycorcoran 08-30-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 432261)
if the a/c isn't charged it won't make condensation and no water will even go out of the drain. i say dry it off and check it, if its clear, and you have coolant in your engine you don't have an engine related problem.

I am hoping to recharge the cooling system tomorrow (or this week sometime).

Any idea what would have caused the 'gurgling' sound? When I checked the radiator earlier this summer (when I first heard the noise) I had to add about half a gallon of 50/50 mix. The ONLY time I noticed the engine making the 'gurgling' noise is on HOT days when I would run the AC.

Thanks for all the help thus far.

(sweet project, by the way!)

jpdocdave 08-30-2009 05:47 PM

thanks

as far as the gurgling, is it running hot? the coolant may be low again, i'd check it, maybe you have a leak somewhere. if exhaust or compression is going into the cooling system you should know.

kerrycorcoran 08-30-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 432271)
thanks

as far as the gurgling, is it running hot? the coolant may be low again, i'd check it, maybe you have a leak somewhere. if exhaust or compression is going into the cooling system you should know.

It is not running any hotter than normal, usually around 209-210.

If I had a leak somewhere (exhaust or compression) how would I know? Sorry for all the questions, just never had this type of issue before. Really out of my knowledge set on this one.