Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

What Started Your Jeep Obsession?

12K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  Codeman911 
#1 ·
I remember my first ride in a jeep. It was a CJ7 that my dad suprised mom with. Brown with white waggon wheels and BFG All Terrains. This was about 1988 and we took that thing every where with a bikini top and half doors! I miss that old beast! Over the past couple years I started thinking Jeep again and finally decided to pull the trigger with my 07 Rubi 2 door. It makes me feel 7 yrs old again!

#2 ·
my frist jeep ride was in 1989. my uncle bought me the first generation jeep power wheels for my 4th birthday :punk:. i tried to drive it up the slide :D. it took me another 13 years before i would ride in a "real jeep." it was my boyfriend's (now husband) 1990 YJ Islander, in Malibu Yellow. after that i was hooked, and needed to get my own.

#3 ·
High School, 1974! My buddy's dad, was a Master Mechanic, and could do anything with tools and parts. For Mike's Senior Year, his dad built him a Jeep out of parts from different Salvage Yards. He had it painted Mike's favorite color, Gloss Red. I remember it had Twin Jerry Cans on the Rear, and a Full Matching Spare, but I can't remember what the model of the body was. On the Jerry Cans, Mike's dad had painted, "Mike's Red Ball Express!", in Black letters.

Anyway, I was Sans-Wheels, during my High School years, and I would take the local bus to meet Mike about half way from his house to mine, so I could ride with him to school. It was reallllllly "FAR OUT" (pardon the '70's expression...), to go to school in a Jeep! He always had the top down, so we could, "Cruise For Chicks!"

I'd wanted one ever since, but either the Timing, Finances, Family Needs, etc., didn't allow this to happen until 35 years later, on July 10th, 2009, when I finally had the opportunity and bought one! WOO-HOO! I'M LIVIN' THE DREAM, NOW!

Cheers!

BB

#5 ·
I've been test driving them and looking at them since I was in the Marine Corps in 76. Hasn't been the right circumstance with family etc.

In Nov. of 07 I drove my wife's PT Cruiser into the dealership for a PM with her in the co-pilot seat and they had a bright yellow Sahara Unlimited out in the driveway to get to the service department. I can remember driving buy it turning my head and the gasp of air that came out of my mouth as I said Oooooooohhhhhhh. My wife said to me want to go and check it out???? I replied: can I ?????? She said sure!!!! Two weeks later I had a jeep in the driveway. Bitten.....hook line and sinker....what price?????......OK.....Done.

I've been living my second childhood ever since. wwwOOOOOt. :punk::punk::punk:

#7 ·
Just graduated high school in 87 and since I was near the top of my class, had received an accidemic scholarship my parents offered to buy me a vehicle since my Corvette had just been totaled (no-- it wasn't my fault)... Since I was going to go to a college near the beach.... well... I choose a Jeep.... 1987 Wrangler.... worst thing I ever did was trade it in in 91 on a puckup... I have since come back to my senses in my old age.

#8 ·
My Grandfather always had a Jeep pickup, but what got me was the Willy's up north in the garage- no top, 'home'painted starburst orange, not pretty by any means but did that thing ever go through the trails!! I learned how to drive a stick on that thing- it is still going strong too!!

#9 ·
Growing up in Puerto Rico my neighbor had an old flat fender Willys that barely had paint just a fine coat of rust. The seats were torn, cracked windshield ondrivers side, passenger side glass missing, no spare and sounded like a tin can full of bolts rattling around. That thing was he used it only to run around his little farm and honestly I never remember it breaking down, it would climb like a damn goat. He used to let me shift as he drove and double clutched it. I was maybe 13 at the time and remember the day a tree fell in a hurricane and landed right on the old Willys basically folding it in half. Never got to play with another Jeep until I joined the Army in 77 and they still used the little Jeeps with independent suspension M151's I believe they were called. In '83 I returned from Germany and found my '82 CJ sitting on a lot while visiting my mom-in-law in KS. It had 12k on the clock and not a scratch under it. Come to find out she knew the previous owner, a local Dr that bought i for hunting & fishing but if the road did not lead into the lake or right to the deers sleeping place he wouldn't go. 23 years later, 168k and many mods it was sold after divorce to a friend from military that always said "if you ever sell it I want it". He is my daughters god father and when he came for her wedding he bought it and has it in Indiana now. Last time I talked to him he had only changed brakes, tires & water pump. After it was sold I always said someday I will have another Jeep. Took 7 years but I got my Jeep, I wanted an '08 Rescue Green but couldn't swing it at the time. Then I found out that the Rescue was a one year only color - DAMN!! But all was good when I saw the replacement color of Sunburst Orange - WOW, love it. Now I see that this is also a one year only color so glad I got mine. Plans for my JK include the basics - 3-4" lift, 35's, 4.88's, bumper/sliders, Warn Powerplant, and all the rest. Plan to keep this one for at least 20 years as well. I love my Jeep and my 2 daughters have already asked for it if I decide to let it go - FAT CHANCE of that happening.

#10 ·
my grandpa had a red CJ7 before I was even born. I was also given an electric jeep that was the same color as my grandpas. I remember growing up and riding along with him all of the time. Then a few years ago my uncle also bought a jeep, a 2000 wrangler sport. By this time I had my license and knew that eventually I would get a jeep. One day when I was driving around with my family we saw my current jeep sittin on a car lot we went and traded in my old car for my 99 wrangler sport :)

#13 ·
Well my first car in high school like '00 or '01, was a 95 Grand Cherokee. Loved the thing for some time until I made a mistake and wrecked it. Nothing major but the cost to fix it was enough to consider it totaled. I then bought a '01 Best choice of my life! Then April of this year I went browsing the parking lot of new Jeeps and a salesman came up to me. I tried to give him the cold shoulder, as I had no intentions of doing more then looking for the heck of it, then he offered me a awesome deal for a trade in of my current Jeep. Now I am sitting happy with a new 4dr Silver JK. :)

#15 ·
I rode in a few and didn't think much about it. I got older and the newer ones started getting better. Then a guy at work had one for a good price needing work so I figured why not. After I got my own I loved it. I love taking it off road as much as possible. I got some small trails not to far from home. I find myself sneaking over there more and more. After I get a few more things done it will be time to go to the bad lands!

#16 ·
When i was 10 or so my older cousins best friend had a Jeep.I used to tag along with them when they go cruisin at the beach.Man those were fun times...it only took me 30 years to get one LOL

#17 ·

Daisy Duke! Started both my obsession with Jeeps and long sexy tanned legs!

also my friend in high school had one, loved riding around in the fall, top down, doors off, in sweatshirts!

Just finally got my first Jeep this summer!

I actually had this model when i was 10 or so lol

#19 ·
bummer my Daisy Duke pic link broke

here it is :)

#20 ·
I was a kid and i was hanging out with one of my friends grandparents. The driver saw a deer through a hedge row, so he proceeded to drive full speed over some rocks and a ditch to have a closer look. On the other side there wasnt a scratch or anything broken. And they are just damn sexy!

#21 ·
My obsession began in 1982. There was a dealer on my way to work every day and right on the corner of the lot was a 1980 CJ7 Renegade. After drooling for a week or so I went in and bought it. I paid 6k for it and after 150,000 miles I sold it for 2300. I was starting a family and went for the sedan. Now that the youngest is in high school it was time to have a mid life crisis and buy my '09 JK.

#22 ·
^^ Awesome pic dude!!:cool:

#24 ·
Back in 1980 I was on the way to work when I rode past a mandarin orange 79 renegade parked in a yard for sale and I knew right away I had to have it. It was a year old and had 14,000 miles on it. My best friend was in college in Harrisonburg Va and we traveled up almost every weekend to see him and always ended up driving the trails in George Washington National Forest. We had a blast and have gone back a few times over the years. We haven't been up in quite a while but were are going back up in a few weeks! Can't wait.

#25 ·
been hunting for years and seen old 1/2 ton chevys and fords tryin to get through woods and one morning we let a buck get a way from us and we went in my wifes cousins yj and we took the whole durn camp with us it looked like that volkswagon thang in college but anyway that day it rained from noon till rite before we went out and that durn thing didnt even slow down i was hooked and finally bought a wreck in july and hope to have it on the road for santa "over" ,laris

#26 ·
Had a Grand Cherokee and a Cherokee so we were Jeep faithful and always thought the Wranglers looked cool but never really thought about owning one.

Then in the summer of 2007 they had a 4-dr with the top down at a street festival we attended. My wife and I both instantly thought, this is going to be our next vehicle. We probably spent an hour just checking it out and found reasons to walk by it again and again. So when the GC came up against some costly repairs we decided it was time to pull the trigger.

#27 ·
As mentioned in my profile, I drove the Willys during my military service and that was the trigger.. Alas I had to wait quite some years before I bought my first Jeep.. I know it is not a Willys but it for sure gives the "nostalgia"...
My Jeep is just my toy I use with the grandkids..:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.