Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2009 Wrangler X - straps w. snaps in glove cot (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2009-wrangler-x-straps-w-snaps-in-glove-cot-35792.html)

hambones 08-31-2009 09:01 PM

2009 Wrangler X - straps w. snaps in glove cot

Picked up my new Wrangler and there's 2 of the same small straps in the glove compartment each with a female snap piece (along with the 2 velcro straps for the sunrider top) - can't figure out what they are for.

Anyone?

jk'n 08-31-2009 09:16 PM

On the rear bow is two male snap parts for those loops. When the rear window zippers are zipped to the top and the window rolled up, the loops will support the window in the rolled up position held there by the snaps.

hambones 08-31-2009 09:38 PM

Got it - thanks.

Any advantages of doing this as opposed to just zipping it down and letting it hang behind the gate? (like what I do with the sunrider top half down)?

jk'n 08-31-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hambones (Post 433191)
Got it - thanks.

Any advantages of doing this as opposed to just zipping it down and letting it hang behind the gate? (like what I do with the sunrider top half down)?

This is one of the things that I like about this forum. I hadn't thought of doing that with the rear window. I suppose doing that would relieve the pressure while driving at highway speeds. Have you done this before?

Regarding rolling the window up and putting it in the loops, doing so, in my opinion, degrades the finish on a new plastic window. The only ways to prevent this would be to wash the window each time prior to rolling it up or just not roll it up. My window is currently abraded by use of the straps this summer. I'm going to try some plastx on it to see if I can get it back to its shiny new look. I've been reading in this forum that plastx works well for this purpose.

hambones 08-31-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk'n (Post 433194)
This is one of the things that I like about this forum. I hadn't thought of doing that with the rear window. I suppose doing that would relieve the pressure while driving at highway speeds. Have you done this before?

Regarding rolling the window up and putting it in the loops, doing so, in my opinion, degrades the finish on a new plastic window. The only ways to prevent this would be to wash the window each time prior to rolling it up or just not roll it up. My window is currently abraded by use of the straps this summer. I'm going to try some plastx on it to see if I can get it back to its shiny new look. I've been reading in this forum that plastx works well for this purpose.

With regard to your above about takig the window down to relieve pressure--to my understanding you MUST take the back window down/up/etc while riding with the sunrider top. From the dealers mouth, the wind coming in from the open top will eventually warp the frame (from the pressure/wind coming in) and Chrysler doesn't support that on their warranty. I personally don't know much about these (jeeps) as this is my first one--but I bought it from one of the most reputable jeep salesmen in the northeast and he HEAVILY stressed this.

jeepnpr 09-01-2009 12:06 AM

I have never used them I simply unzip the rear window from right to left, disconnect the zipper (window part) from top and let it hang down into the "trunk" My side windows I take off and lay flat on the floor with a towel between them. So far no scratches or damage to either. The windows do not blow around or move at all, so no worries about having one blow out of the Jeep while driving at highway speeds.
Hope this helped.

Qman 09-01-2009 03:49 PM

Agreed, just unzip and have it fold or lay down in rear. no worries, no problems.