Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   1st JK mod: my CB antenna is installed. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/1st-jk-mod-my-cb-antenna-is-installed-35945.html)

jk'n 09-04-2009 12:18 AM

1st JK mod: my CB antenna is installed.

Well, I just got done cutting into the body for the first time. I installed one of those ball type CB antenna mounts and put a big a$$ whip on it. I put it just behind the rear wheel about centered on that strip of body sheet metal. Took the blinker out and was able to get the wire up into the vehicle through the same feedthrough as the blinker wires. Came out looking pretty good, I'd say it looks professionally installed. :D No scratches dents or dings. I have a monster zip cable already wired to the battery for all of my radio equipment and will hook this radio into the fused power strip that uses power pole type connectors. I hope to have the radio installed and working by the end of this weekend. Should get out pretty good compared to the antennas with a base loading coil. It is a true quarter wave whip.

The jeep wheeling club I intend to join has a requirement of a CB radio before they will let you join among other requirements. I've been working at putting together all of the pieces parts. I also got fire extinguishers as well. Some of the stuff like a tow strap and first aid kit I already have. The club sounds like they are pretty conservative according to their bylaws. They even limit tire size to between 31 and 33 inches with only moderate lifts and do not allow any burning out on the trails (spinning tires). They are family oriented. Sounds like a good club.

jgano23 09-04-2009 07:03 AM

sweet. got pics?

donnie 09-04-2009 12:01 PM

One thing you might check with the club is using a whip on the trail.
Most dont recommend a long whip for a safety factor.
IMHO, if you put the antenna on the side by the rear wheel, is there a possibility it could be snagged by something?
I believe thats why most of the antennas are mounted on the tailgate.
Sounds like you did a good install though.

Badfish 09-04-2009 01:17 PM

pictures please i need to get an entenna for my cb i wanna see different options first

Codeman911 09-04-2009 02:42 PM

No big tires, no big lifts, no fun. Doesn't sound like the club for me. I should start a club for the guys like me. If your kid can't walk under it, make it bigger. If you can't hear it, make it louder. Every meeting will begin and end at the local watering hole. Some days might even stay there. Who's with me?!?!

runit3 09-04-2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codeman911 (Post 435546)
No big tires, no big lifts, no fun. Doesn't sound like the club for me. I should start a club for the guys like me. If your kid can't walk under it, make it bigger. If you can't hear it, make it louder. Every meeting will begin and end at the local watering hole. Some days might even stay there. Who's with me?!?!

I'd be down for that.

Where are you mounting the CB Unit in the cab? I'd like to build a custom rack for the middle of the dash but that would limit visibility a good deal. Also what brand of antenna did you buy?

whiteyj 09-04-2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

Why don't you warn us where you'll be.....So we can avoid the area.:D

tiny terror 09-04-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteyj (Post 435638)

I like your club better.

jk'n 09-04-2009 06:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OK, thanks for the interest in this mod. I just went out and took pictures. Here they are:

This picture gives a pretty good perspective relative to the whole passenger side of the jeep.
Attachment 11070

This picture shows the exact location relative to the wheel well.
Attachment 11069

This picture gives the perspective of the length of the whip, it ends at the top of the picture or just slightly out of the picture frame. It may be harder to see at low resolution.
Attachment 11068

The following quote is from donnie:
Quote:

One thing you might check with the club is using a whip on the trail.
Most dont recommend a long whip for a safety factor.
IMHO, if you put the antenna on the side by the rear wheel, is there a possibility it could be snagged by something?
I believe thats why most of the antennas are mounted on the tailgate.
Sounds like you did a good install though.
The club does not specify in the rules therefore I assume it is allowed.

Who is the "most" that you speak of that don't recommend a long whip for a safety factor? More on this later. I try to stay away from generalizations like this because it tends to try and make fact out of an opinion. The same applies to when I hear the statement that most rock crawlers prefer automatic transmission. What facts are there that prove this out? Name some scientific surveys or some accident statistics that drivers and passengers that travel behind a vehicle with this type of antenna have had their eyes put out or their brains dissected by a wayward whip antenna.

The snagging issue is solved by the type of mount. This is one bad a$$ ball type mount as seen above. It is tucked behind the wheel flair. If something rips this mount off my jeep, I have more problems than just the ball mount to contend with.

Thanks for the compliment on the install sight unseen. As can be seen by the pictures, the install was flawless. The only thing I plan on doing is disassembly to primer the bare metal surfaces caused by drilling. I may just put some silicone glue to seal it off from moisture so that the fender doesn't rust through at the mount point.

Now here is my professional opinion on the ball mount and full sized quarter wave whip. I hold a Federal Communications Commission issued General Class Radio Telephone Operator's License. This is the license that used to be required to be able to be the chief engineer at a radio or television (and is usually still required to be hired for this type of job). This is also the same license that used to be required for any kind of legally operated two way radio service including CB radio but is no longer required (but many employers still require technicians to obtain one prior to being hired to demonstrate proficiency). I have held this license since I was around age 16 and have been a ham radio operator since about the same time. I have spent my life around radio equipment and talking on the radio via ham radio to others that operate radios. I have professionally repaired more radios than I can count and have made mad cash doing it. I have also been an electronics teacher passing on my skills to the next generation for over 20 years approaching 30. I would consider myself an expert on the subject. I read both professional journals on the subject and ham radio materials as well. No where in my professional experience have I ever heard that there are problems with this type of whip antenna especially out in open areas.

There have been some issues with broken fluorescent lights in parking garages. You will notice that most fluorescent tubes in parking garages are now protected from this type of damage by an appropriate cover. When city driving and/or having to park in a garage, it is customary to either tie the tip down to the front of the vehicle or to remove the whip as a temporary measure to protect it and other's property (the garage). There is no need to do this in the woods. Now, why put one of these on in the first place? Well, the answer is that a quarter wave whip has a low angle of radiation for 360 degrees around the base of the antenna. This means that the major portion of the energy radiated goes out mostly in the horizontal direction. This results in both better transmission and works well in reverse during receive as well. Any antenna that works by shortening the length of the antenna using wire that is coiled lessens the effect of getting the major portion of the signal to the horizon (Ideal transmission area is the horizon on mobile installations). So, base loaded antennas and firesticks are both a compromise antenna giving up signal strength to be able to have a shorter antenna. The shorter the antenna the more like a dummy load that the antenna acts. A dummy load is a special troubleshooting tool used by radio technicians that converts all of the radio energy coming from the transmitter into heat to prevent it from being radiated into the atmosphere. Radios are tested on dummy loads to see if they work. An antenna that acts like a dummy load shows output at the transmitter but nothing or almost nothing actually makes it out of the antenna. Lots of these types of antennas are available to the unsuspecting consumer.

So, when I'm out in the woods and broken down and all of my buddies have great radio set-ups with quarter wave whips, I am most likely going to be heard by them when I call for help. I choose the antenna that will do that best. If you don't believe me and need to see it in print, go to this site and search for the antenna handbook. Look up the radiation patterns of the various antennas. Then you can convince yourself that what I say is true. True, the whip is a little long but the extra length is worth the extra performance in my opinion. BTW, I have several copies of the antenna handbook that I have purchased over the years. Most professionals in the business have a copy of that and the Radio Amateur's Handbook as well. Both are periodical publications of the ARRL.

RAGMAN 09-04-2009 11:52 PM

Quote:

hell yeah, im in.. can we get cool stickers to put on our Jeeps.. (i like stickers)

RAGMAN 09-04-2009 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runit3 (Post 435634)
I'd be down for that.

Where are you mounting the CB Unit in the cab? I'd like to build a custom rack for the middle of the dash but that would limit visibility a good deal. Also what brand of antenna did you buy?

best antennas for offroad are the Wilson Flex, you can bend them 180 degrees and they dont break, that big whip on the jk listed above aint gonna work.. gonna get stuck in a tree..

i have dual setup mounts, (custom welded to my windshield light mounts)
run dual 3' antennas..

firestick antennas are good but i dont think they bend easily, i had just bought astatic 3' antennas then went offroad and broke one because they dont flex well and are not ment for offroad..

get a Wilson Flex.. their like $20-25 each but worth it..

Codeman911 09-05-2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAGMAN (Post 435822)
hell yeah, im in.. can we get cool stickers to put on our Jeeps.. (i like stickers)

HELL YES! I love stickers! They're like tattoos for your ride. They will be printed upside down like a Jeep sticker should be and say "IF YOU CAN READ THIS, I SPILLED MY BEER."

Codeman911 09-05-2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteyj (Post 435638)

Don't worry, our paths will never cross. I hate Starbucks.

RAGMAN 09-05-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codeman911 (Post 435831)
HELL YES! I love stickers! They're like tattoos for your ride. They will be printed upside down like a Jeep sticker should be and say "IF YOU CAN READ THIS, I SPILLED MY BEER."

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

i got that upside down sticker.. says.. if you can read this flip me over

hahahahahaha

donnie 09-05-2009 12:45 AM

JK,
All I was trying to say is Iv talked to several members of different Jeep groups and they all have stated that a whip like you have is a problem on trails.
Ask the members of wheeling group you metioned earlier and see how they feel about that type of antenna.
I understand about the 102" whip. Iv had them on several trucks myself and they did work great.
IMHO, Id rather have something a little smaller on my rig. But then that is my option, my choice.

jk'n 09-05-2009 12:19 PM

Thanks donnie. I will ask them or let them tell me when I show up with it. If they find it of a concern, I'm sure they will let me know what is acceptable if not the 102" whip.

Now, I can imagine that the antenna may be a nuisance in some situations with low branches and brush overhanging and maybe a shorter one would be more appropriate. In that situation, the antenna can be tied down in the front. As long as it is tied down with an insulating material (usually a piece of teflon) the antenna can still be used but the pattern of the transmitted signal will be changed of course. It will still work surprisingly well. The beauty part of a ball mount is that a new antenna is just a wrench away. I did have the feedline cut to the exact length so that if I use a firestick I will have good SWR. Not as critical on a quarter wave whip where the feedline can be any length.

With the mount that I have, notice at the base what looks like a coil. That is not the function of that device. It is a giant spring. It is there so that if something pulls on the top of the antenna, the base of the antenna will not be stressed. It will simply bend the spring over and the antenna will simply rub on whatever is pulling it over. Military and the state police in my state use this type of mount a lot. It has been time tested by these two institutions and they would choose some other system if a different system could be found to be more rugged. The reason they will typically run 1/4 wave, or at higher frequencies they may choose 5/8 wave because of a lower angle of radiation is because it gives optimal performance. On a 5/8 wave the major lobes of the pattern are flattened toward the horizon showing that more signal is transmitted to the horizon and less signal towards the moon (assuming the moon to be directly overhead). 5/8 wave is not practical at 27MHz (CB frequencies).

jk'n 09-05-2009 12:28 PM

I just noticed the ham radio call in your signature and was reminded of your status as a ham. I know I have notice that in previous communications with you on this forum but haven't seen it in a while. So you should be pretty knowledgeable about the underlying theory of what antenna is best. That information would probably be more useful to others on the forum so it will probably not be bad to bring it out in the discussion. I have an extra class license and is one of my favorite hobbies. I have many and am looking forward to retirement to be able to practice them all better than I do now. But I'm not looking to wish any part of my life away either. It's all good.

donnie 09-05-2009 01:07 PM

I can honestly tell you that the whip will "wave" when on the trail.
I did notice the spring. Iv always mounted a whip with one.
It seems to work better with it than without it.
I had the same setup on a 69 Bronco I had and it moved a lot when on trails.
Given the fact that you stated your an Extra class and Im just a lowly Tech, I wont say any more about the subject.

jk'n 09-05-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAGMAN (Post 435828)
best antennas for offroad are the Wilson Flex, you can bend them 180 degrees and they dont break, that big whip on the jk listed above aint gonna work.. gonna get stuck in a tree..

i have dual setup mounts, (custom welded to my windshield light mounts)
run dual 3' antennas..

firestick antennas are good but i dont think they bend easily, i had just bought astatic 3' antennas then went offroad and broke one because they dont flex well and are not ment for offroad..

get a Wilson Flex.. their like $20-25 each but worth it..

I just went and checked out the Wilson Flex. It is one of the many compromise antennas available. It will not perform as well as the antenna that I have installed.

The minute that you put more than one antenna connected to the same transmitter on your vehicle as in the ones you described above on the windshield light mounts, you are entering into the realm of what is known as phased verticals. Phased verticals are normally used in permanent installations for ground stations or on ships to be able to get better gain in one direction or (two directions) or in the case of three antennas or even four in multiple directions. They look cool on trucks and jeeps but serve no real useful purpose because you would have to be able to rotate the array independent of the vehicle turning to be able to maintain a conversation over the radio as the vehicle is moving about. Since the antennas are mounted fixed to the vehicle and not able to be turned independent of the vehicle direction of travel, as a result, the signal will fade in and out as you move causd simply by the fact there are two antennas rather than one.

As for my antenna getting stuck in a tree, very unlikely for the reason I had stated in my previous post having to do with the function of the spring at the base of the antenna. Stainless steel can break if bent too far and the same is true of fiberglass. Fiberglass may be more flexible but doesn't conduct electricity as well. Sometimes they use carbon in the fiberglass to get it to conduct (not a very good conductor) or they will run a thin wire up the center of the fiberglass. The thin wire inside a fiberglass whip is not as good as the stainless steel whip because of its effect on the transmitted signal at various frequencies within the CB band.

jk'n 09-05-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnie (Post 436020)
I can honestly tell you that the whip will "wave" when on the trail.
I did notice the spring. Iv always mounted a whip with one.
It seems to work better with it than without it.
I had the same setup on a 69 Bronco I had and it moved a lot when on trails.
Given the fact that you stated your an Extra class and Im just a lowly Tech, I wont say any more about the subject.

I didn't state my license class to discount your information or opinion. It is just as valuable to me regardless of your class of license. I think people who do that tend to show how pompous they are. After all facts are facts and can't be changed no matter how big your ego is. Opinion on the other hand has a way of growing out of proportion in some circles. I like the discussion, thanks for participating.

I expect that it will move a lot on the trail. I'm going to try and make a tie down so I can reel it in a little in those circumstances. The tie down is absolutely necessary for garages.

runit3 09-05-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk'n (Post 436031)
I just went and checked out the Wilson Flex. It is one of the many compromise antennas available. It will not perform as well as the antenna that I have installed.

What IS the one you have installed?

jk'n 09-05-2009 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runit3 (Post 436090)
What IS the one you have installed?

The brand name of the base is ProComm. The mount is a 3-1/2 Heavy Duty with Mounting Plate and Barrel Spring Model JBC986 it is in their catalogue on page 17.

When I got it. It came with three zinc or chrome plated screws that were some diameter less than 1/4 - 20 even though the backing plate was tapped for this size screw. The supplied hardware came with nuts, washers and lockwashers. I happened to have on hand 3 pan head 3/4" 1/4-20 in stainless that I used for the installation. I also had to cut to size an #8-32 to screw into the back plate to secure the ground lead of the coax. The back plate was already drilled and tapped for this but no hardware was supplied to do this. The lug that came with the mount to secure the center conductor of the coax broke while I was installing it and I used one that I had on the shelf. The lugs for the braid and center conductor were crimp on type but I soldered them on after crimping to be sure that the mechanical connection was secure and that the electrical connection didn't deterioriate over time. I tried using the supplied hardware but trying to put the nuts on inside the fender cavity by using the hole created by removing the blinker proved a challenge. I was able to attach the braid lug and center conductor lug prior to assembly of the mount to the jeep. I fed the coax through the mounting hole. I then fed the backing plate with the ground attached to it through the mounting hole and held it in position on the inside of the fender through the blinker access hole. It was easy threading the 1/4-20 screws into the back plate compared to trying to put nuts on the supplied hardware. I screwed the ground to the inside mounting plate and fed it through the hole because it would have been impossible to attach it from inside the fender cavity.

The whip didn't have any packaging material. It is just a standard 1/4 wave whip cut for CB frequencies. The whip mounting lug mated to the top of the spring and I would imagine it is the standard size for this purpose. It would probably accept any antenna just about.

donnie 09-05-2009 08:13 PM

Should be Standard 3/8 X
24 threads
same as most Firestik whips.

jk'n 09-05-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnie (Post 436236)
Should be Standard 3/8 X
24 threads
same as most Firestik whips.

Yes, I would agree. A firestick would probably fit on this mount. I may end up trying one if I can't stand the length of the whip. But I'm going to give the whip a whirl first. I gotta figure out how to tie it down in the front.

coolbreeze 09-05-2009 08:40 PM

Really depends on how much you run in trees and brush. I ran a lot of stuff with long whips and never had one hang up. Did kink one or two and got a fluorescent once at a service station. Have fun.

tcass 09-07-2009 11:45 AM

New to the forum...

JKn, love the look of the 102 steel (I take it thats what is is when you said big a$$ whip). I used to be heavy into CB's in the mid 70's and from what i can recall you're correct that they talk the best , but i suspect if you have it up running trails, you might run into trouble in some spots. you might do better pulling it down and hooking it to the front in those cases. I used to have an old pace 2300 with a linear and 102's....man that thing would talk:D. The mount looks great, although i understand that in some situatoins it could potentially pose a problem.

I know where to come when i need advice about the tech aspects of the radios and antennas....which reminds me i need to get a cb to put in mine. cant decide to take the one outta the truck and put in the JK or get a new one.

tcass

USAntigoon 09-07-2009 12:03 PM

jk'n

You made a good choice..This set up gives you a very good counter poise (RF ground). Here is my CB set up with a 4 ft Wilson flex.. Once in a while I also run a 102" on this mount..

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3438/...d30113b2af.jpg

For my 2 meter, I run a Diamond Comet SBB 25 from an ARR mount on the spare base...I also have a a HD Diamond mount on the other side for my NR22L (97 inch) a 2-5/8 wave with a 6.5 dB gain.. This is a must in rural area's to hit some repeaters..

SoCal147 09-07-2009 12:17 PM

I think this setup would work fantastic in a desert / baja environment. :)

Jk'n Please state your complete radio setup.

jk'n 09-07-2009 08:05 PM

First: I just did my first multi quote on this forum and it is nifty. Click multiquote on each message to be included in your post then click post reply and all of the quotes appear in one message...pretty cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcass (Post 436918)
New to the forum...

JKn, love the look of the 102 steel (I take it thats what is is when you said big a$$ whip). I used to be heavy into CB's in the mid 70's and from what i can recall you're correct that they talk the best , but i suspect if you have it up running trails, you might run into trouble in some spots. you might do better pulling it down and hooking it to the front in those cases. I used to have an old pace 2300 with a linear and 102's....man that thing would talk:D. The mount looks great, although i understand that in some situatoins it could potentially pose a problem.

I know where to come when i need advice about the tech aspects of the radios and antennas....which reminds me i need to get a cb to put in mine. cant decide to take the one outta the truck and put in the JK or get a new one.

tcass

tcas,

Welcome to the forum. :wavey:
I really like this place and hope you do too. Very helpful people and friendly too. It keeps me coming back. :)

The whip is a 102" "steel" as you say. Got the whip, mount feedline and RF connector from a local CB shop. Total cost of those items was $60.00. Any place that supplies radio equipment that is worth their salt would stock this type of stuff in one flavor or another. By the way, the CB shop cut the coax to the length for a firestick. So when I installed the radio, I was careful not to cut the coax to the length I needed, rather, I coiled the extra length under the carpet under the front passenger seat. Now, if I ever decide to run a firestick, I will be able to do so.

I got a cheap CB from wally world. Cost me $35.00. It is a Cobra 19 Ultra III. I finally got the antenna hitched up last night at about 11:00pm and the radio was totally dead. I even drove over to Route 90 (Mass Pike) figuring there would be some chatter there and still almost nothing....well....I just got back from the eastern part of the state and the receiver was really "cooking" with lots of signals. I'm convinced that the install is electrically done right now. I'm sure some of the stations were running power but made a few comments and was heard. So I think this setup will work well in the woods while I'm out with the four wheeling club on a trek off the beaten path. Now that I have had a chance to use it, I would say that it was worth the investment.

I don't know if this might help you to decide on a radio. I'm not a big CBer I just want to be heard on the trail with the others that I may be with. I'm really big into ham radio as you will see if you read down further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAntigoon (Post 436928)
jk'n

You made a good choice..This set up gives you a very good counter poise (RF ground). Here is my CB set up with a 4 ft Wilson flex.. Once in a while I also run a 102" on this mount..

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3438/...d30113b2af.jpg

For my 2 meter, I run a Diamond Comet SBB 25 from an ARR mount on the spare base...I also have a a HD Diamond mount on the other side for my NR22L (97 inch) a 2-5/8 wave with a 6.5 dB gain.. This is a must in rural area's to hit some repeaters..

USAntigoon,

Thanks for posting the pic of your setup. Man could we talk.....

I'm going to try this ball mount on my HF "super antenna". I run QRP with a Yeasu FT817. If I get tired of low power I may try and get a higher power model. I think this antenna will thread onto the spring with no adapters. I will have to try it out soon.

I have dual antenna mounts that mount to the spare tire that I got from this guy who advertises on the web. One of the mounts is definitely going to be for my Yeasu FT8900 radio which I run with one of two antennae depending on if I plan to use the 10 meter band. The Diamond antenna that is made for the radio or a Diamond tri bander that is a little more flexible so I don't have to worry about snapping the antenna on low flying obsticles. The other mount is a spare as I haven't decided what I will use it for.

As you can see, I'm chomping at the bit to get more stuff up and running in my jeep. I had the dual mounts installed on my previous 08 Wrangler Unlimited that Chrysler bought back from me but haven't had enough free time yet to get it back onto the spare tire mount on the Rubicon. Hopefully before the snow flies. Using the super antenna on HF may cause me to use up too much of the time left before cold weather gets here. If only I didn't have to go to work.....then I know I would have enough time. :zap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal147 (Post 436935)
I think this setup would work fantastic in a desert / baja environment. :)

Jk'n Please state your complete radio setup.

SoCal147,

The above information should answer your question. The antenna ball mount model is in one of the previous posts in this thread. I haven't had a chance to permanently install the radio yet so I don't have any pictures of that. It is just laying on the floor against the transmission hump on the passenger side in front. I've been toying around with the idea of putting it on some type of either swivel mount that can be locked into position (I purchased one at a ham flea market for this purpose) or possibly a very stiff "goose neck" type mounting similar to how a microphone might be mounted to a lecturn. I envision the mount screwed to the side of the shifter cowling somehow but that is still in the thought process too.

There, I think that covers most of the bases. :D

USAntigoon 09-07-2009 08:34 PM

jk'n

I used to run HF Hustler with different resonators on my cars but they only work great once we have good propagation.. Anyway I love the 2m as we have quite some repeaters here in MI and with this Diamond NR22L you can really hit some remote one's..The Comet SBB22 works great here in my QTH area, the NR22L is used once I go up North..

The ARR rear mounts on the spare tire work well for VHF and above.. they are a waste of money for CB and HF..There is NO way you get a good RF ground from that spot..even with braided straps etc...The side ball/spring mount are the way to go..
Once you decide to run Ham HF bands I suggest to make a sturdy mount welded onto the rear hitch mount. (a strip of 3/8" metal will do as a base for the HF antenna mount)

I also have the radios mounted on a ARR radio mount as seen here..

73's

KE8MK

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3340/...3b49a98cc8.jpg