Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/)
-   -   Tires to wide for state law (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/tires-to-wide-for-state-law-35988.html)

Roadkill 09-05-2009 03:38 AM

Tires to wide for state law
 
Need help in finding new wheels/tires, new to the jeep wrangler world and abit lost, just bought a preowed 01 sport lifted and has a 33x12.50x15 tire had a 7" flare but still stick out a good 3-4" state law is saying that no tire should ever stick out or it will be a $80 ticket per tire, looking to replace with a little bit narrower than 12.50 and still keep the bulky look any suggestions?
Thanks for the help,

islandmonkey 09-05-2009 08:16 AM

And, what state was that?

phdsk8 09-05-2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadkill (Post 435879)
Need help in finding new wheels/tires, new to the jeep wrangler world and abit lost, just bought a preowed 01 sport lifted and has a 33x12.50x15 tire had a 7" flare but still stick out a good 3-4" state law is saying that no tire should ever stick out or it will be a $80 ticket per tire, looking to replace with a little bit narrower than 12.50 and still keep the bulky look any suggestions?
Thanks for the help,

R u serious? what state? I have seen lots of jeeps with this tires size.

'97 TJ 09-05-2009 10:54 AM

:9lame: wow thats sucks i live in Texas and state law is nothing can stick out more than 7" on either side of the jeep sounds lke another way the man is trying to keep us from having fun

JDsDream 09-05-2009 11:25 AM

You're serious? In Alaska? That makes no sense at all!

Roadkill 09-05-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandmonkey (Post 435912)
And, what state was that?

State of Hawaii, Maui County

JDsDream 09-05-2009 11:53 AM

Okay let me guess, your profile says Alaska because?

Roadkill 09-05-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDsDream (Post 435988)
Okay let me guess, your profile says Alaska because?

Because.. When I register, on the page where they ask your location/state... There is none for the state of Hawaii. Only 49 :D and Canada

phdsk8 09-05-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '97 TJ (Post 435968)
:9lame: wow thats sucks i live in Texas and state law is nothing can stick out more than 7" on either side of the jeep sounds lke another way the man is trying to keep us from having fun

how about having bigger fenders? I mean wider ones. Any way they are not going to measure from the most sticking out part right? lol

'97 TJ 09-05-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phdsk8 (Post 436019)
how about having bigger fenders? I mean wider ones. Any way they are not going to measure from the most sticking out part right? lol

well thats just what it says in the law books but i have some pretty wide fender flares and ive never had a cop pull me over and try to measure them i think its just one of those uninforced laws

N39-W120 09-05-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadkill (Post 436013)
Because.. When I register, on the page where they ask your location/state... There is none for the state of Hawaii. Only 49 :D and Canada


Humm..... sounds like a job for super mod..... We have the "island" of Australia but not Hawaii?

whiteyj 09-05-2009 02:50 PM

How about some pics of the tires/wheels/fenders? Might be helpful to actually see your situation. As was previously said there are many TJ's out here running 33x12.50's.

California had a one rib rule last time I was checking VC (in the 80's).:D

'97 TJ 09-05-2009 03:35 PM

are trying to get new tires because you've gotten in trouble for this? because it could just be an uninforced law i know there are plenty of those here in Texas

jcf 09-05-2009 03:59 PM

Sounds about right to me,in Utah if you run water down the side of the Jeep & the drips hit the tire it's not roadworthy & won't pass a safety. However the cops are very good roght here in Moab & turn a blind eye most of the time.

Roadkill 09-05-2009 10:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteyj (Post 436065)
How about some pics of the tires/wheels/fenders? Might be helpful to actually see your situation. As was previously said there are many TJ's out here running 33x12.50's.

California had a one rib rule last time I was checking VC (in the 80's).:D

here you go :cool:

Jesse-James 09-05-2009 11:10 PM

Hawaii is pretty damn picky, I've heard that before. Those wheels must have a crazy backspacing though. I'm running 35x12.5's with 7" flares and are completely covered. I would look into new wheels.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...e/DSC03467.jpg

Roadkill 09-05-2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse-James (Post 436366)
Hawaii is pretty damn picky, I've heard that before. Those wheels must have a crazy backspacing though. I'm running 35x12.5's with 7" flares and are completely covered. I would look into new wheels.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...e/DSC03467.jpg

yup doing just that, looking at 33/10.50/15 by BFGoodrich, and how do you measure the backspacing on the rims? not to sure if its a 3.75" :banghead: and how wide is your rim?

Jesse-James 09-06-2009 12:09 AM

In this pic it's 8" and BS was 3.75.

To measure lay something flat across the back of the rim and measure to the mounting surface......

http://image.mustangandfords.com/f/9..._backspace.jpg

whiteyj 09-06-2009 12:52 AM

Roadkill your flares look like stockers. Look at Jess-James's 7" flares. They are wider than your. Or at least they look it.

jeepnpr 09-06-2009 05:18 AM

RK, looking at your pics it seems your wheels have a huge lip going out (forget if that is positive or negative backspacing) anyway if you were to change JUST THE RIM for one with the proper backspacing you may be able to keep your tires and save some $$ in the process. If you get the same BS on a different wheel even with a narrower tire it may still sit at the same width, therefore keeping the tire in the same place in relation to the flare = Out Too Far.
Good luck with your search

andrew383 09-06-2009 12:40 PM

just find some stock wheels :)


Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteyj (Post 436414)
Roadkill your flares look like stockers. Look at Jess-James's 7" flares. They are wider than your. Or at least they look it.

looks like there best top flares

Roadkill 09-06-2009 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteyj (Post 436414)
Roadkill your flares look like stockers. Look at Jess-James's 7" flares. They are wider than your. Or at least they look it.

believe you me... those are 7" flare, although I made a major SNAFU on the real tire size, dang it! my bad :D take a look...!

Jesse-James 09-06-2009 10:12 PM

How wide is the wheel? 12 in.?

Roadkill 09-07-2009 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse-James (Post 436739)
How wide is the wheel? 12 in.?

Yup!

Roadkill 09-07-2009 01:59 AM

So if I decided to go for a 33/10.50/15 size tires, I should also look for 15x10 rim
with 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.. right?

Jesse-James 09-07-2009 07:46 AM

15x8 at most for a 10.5 wide tire.

I personally would go with a 33x12.5 tire on a 15x8 wheel with 3.75" backspacing. More options in that tire size too.

Roadkill 09-08-2009 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse-James (Post 436822)
15x8 at most for a 10.5 wide tire.

I personally would go with a 33x12.5 tire on a 15x8 wheel with 3.75" backspacing. More options in that tire size too.

Thanks for the all info. Jj... This will help me alot :punk:

chiro2736 09-11-2009 11:51 AM

I say the same as many above check for less wheel back spacing!
I have 7 inch flares 12.5-35's and they do not stick out past the flares, close but they dont stick out.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ummer09005.jpg

BlackHawkTJ 09-11-2009 12:36 PM

I have heard the fender must cover tire law before, I know Washington is like that, Texas is not. It seems like 7" should cover your tires though. I am running 33/12.5/15 and 6" Bushwacker pocket flares. My tires stick out less than 3/4". I am thinking you must have spacers on there to be sticking past 7".


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.