Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Washington Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f57/)
-   -   WA Winters w/ soft top (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f57/wa-winters-w-soft-top-36304.html)

whiteyj 09-11-2009 11:34 AM

WA Winters w/ soft top

So just how bad is it going to be with just a soft top up here during the winter? I moved up in February and really haven't seen anything that warrants going through the effort of converting to a hard top.

The YJ isn't my daily driver but do want to be able to run her into work once in a while and weekends.

4point 09-11-2009 11:52 AM

Where I live we get quite a bit of snow. Its the heavy wet snow common to the pacific coast. We call it Sierra Cement. It has not effected my soft top at all, but I do knock it off constantly just to be sure.

Geoff@Bestop 09-11-2009 11:56 AM

What's a "little east" of Seattle mean? Redmond? Issaquah? Or further up where it really snows?

I lived in Seattle and Redmond for 12 years, and had soft tops off and on through those years. I was never really too cold. But a few days I wasn't too happy either.

I always had more problems with crappy windshield wipers and defrosters that worked about as well as having my dog pant on the windshield. But I was in old-school CJs. I had to buy those hair dryer fans. Which don't work either.

Then I bought a Subaru for daily work.

Geoff@Bestop 09-11-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4point (Post 439277)
We call it Sierra Cement.

In the northwest it's called Cascade Concrete.

Here in Colorado we call it "powder." :p

4point 09-11-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 439282)
In the northwest it's called Cascade Concrete.

Here in Colorado we call it "powder." :p

I've hunted in N. Colorado. That powder is awesome! Its like lightweight sugar. You can actually dust it off. :punk:

Geoff@Bestop 09-11-2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4point (Post 439285)
I've hunted in N. Colorado. That powder is awesome! Its like lightweight sugar. You can actually dust it off. :punk:

You can, but no one does. It's traditional to let it blow off onto the cars behind you once you hit 45 miles per hour.

skeeter 09-11-2009 01:28 PM

You won't have any problem, where you are you might see 4 or 5 days of snow.
I used to sleep with the windows cracked and engine off during the winter when I was based out of Sumner and Tacoma. Winter over there is very mild.

ETA, I went through a winter over here in my YJ with the softtop and had no problem staying warm.

Kurogo 09-17-2009 03:26 AM

Just make sure you Armor-All it and you should be fine.

somemoore 09-18-2009 12:36 PM

If it's not your daily driver you should be fine - certainly not worth investing in a hard top for the few weeks where it's cold enough to make a difference - that money could be much better used elsewhere on your Jeep :)

montgomery7361 09-19-2009 09:47 PM

i have a soft top and i do fine.. i drive it every day a total of 2 hours back and forth for work.. its cold at first but it holds in the heat pretty well..

whiteyj 09-19-2009 10:26 PM

Sounds like we'll ride this out just fine. Much easier than pulling all the channel off!

NAVYCHIEF 12-16-2009 05:50 PM

i live in washington state and i've always used the term "snow" for snow.:rofl:

Geoff@Bestop 12-16-2009 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NAVYCHIEF (Post 506725)
i live in washington state and i've always used the term "snow" for snow.:rofl:

You live on the coast. The term you're thinking of is RAIN.

A picture of the sky over Long Beach:

Attachment 13767