Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Rough Country Combo Lift 2.5" + 1.25" (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/rough-country-combo-lift-2-5-1-25-a-36374.html)

munroejp 09-13-2009 08:16 AM

Rough Country Combo Lift 2.5" + 1.25"
 
Thinking about buying...

Has anyone installed the Rough Country combination (2.5" + 1.25") lift?

Was wondering if I will have to modify anything in order to install?


Thx,
JPM

tarheel 09-13-2009 10:10 PM

I am running the 2.5 alone. It flexes well and the ride was stiff compared to my stock condition. I did lower the tcase since I did not do the BB/MML. May do that next year and get a tummytuck. I got the springs for a 4.0 with a winch. I have run this 6 months now and will just be putting a FabFour bumper/winch on next week. Over all I was pleased with what I got and the service I received. The order came in 3-4 days. I ordered from Jeffrey @ Rough Country directly.:punk:

munroejp 09-14-2009 04:17 PM

Did you have to adjust the linkage too as well as the t-case plate?

IslandTJ 09-14-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheel (Post 440345)
I am running the 2.5 alone. It flexes well and the ride was stiff compared to my stock condition. I did lower the tcase since I did not do the BB/MML. May do that next year and get a tummytuck. I got the springs for a 4.0 with a winch. I have run this 6 months now and will just be putting a FabFour bumper/winch on next week. Over all I was pleased with what I got and the service I received. The order came in 3-4 days. I ordered from Jeffrey @ Rough Country directly.:punk:

Why did you lower the tcase? :confused:

RAGMAN 09-14-2009 07:37 PM

i have same RC kit. 2.5"

mine came with tcase drop as well, supposed to keep the correct drive angles so as not to stress the shafts.. i think..

BUT - i have seen pics of 4 inch kits as well as 2.5 or 3 and none or most of them DO NOT have a tcase drop...

is it necessary to use the tcase drop, or is it ok to remove it.
i have heard that if you do not have driveline vibrations to just keep it, others seem to have no issue without it..

im confused.. is it needed or not, and why (if removed) would it be better to get 1" motor mounts..

csamn2007 09-14-2009 08:15 PM

I saw some guy on the trail the other day he had a 5.5 inch lift and a 2 or 3 inch t-case drop, what a waste!

IslandTJ 09-15-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAGMAN (Post 440834)
i have same RC kit. 2.5"

mine came with tcase drop as well, supposed to keep the correct drive angles so as not to stress the shafts.. i think..

BUT - i have seen pics of 4 inch kits as well as 2.5 or 3 and none or most of them DO NOT have a tcase drop...

is it necessary to use the tcase drop, or is it ok to remove it.
i have heard that if you do not have driveline vibrations to just keep it, others seem to have no issue without it..

im confused.. is it needed or not, and why (if removed) would it be better to get 1" motor mounts..

Jeeps are different. I would remove the drop and drive the Jeep to check for vibes. If you don't have any, then you don't need the drop. If you do have vibes, you could minimize how low to drop the transfer case by lowering it a washer at a time - a opposed to dropping it an inch or so.

sublimemaze 09-16-2009 12:16 AM

So what is the negitive side to the transfer case drop spacer kits? just losing a little belly pan clearance or other things? What do the driveline vibrations feel like and when do they occur? -Thanks

mudslinger150 09-16-2009 10:00 AM

even if you dont get vibrations with a 4" kit i would still add in the t-case drop bracket, it is not designed for vibration reduction it is to keep proper drive line angles a.k.a. - not wear out your dirve shaft. I would either save some money and do it right with a cv drive shaft or put in the t-case drop kit.

RAGMAN 09-16-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslandTJ (Post 441267)
Jeeps are different. I would remove the drop and drive the Jeep to check for vibes. If you don't have any, then you don't need the drop. If you do have vibes, you could minimize how low to drop the transfer case by lowering it a washer at a time - a opposed to dropping it an inch or so.


i think ive been wrong all this time, it appears that the only drop was the skid plate, i dont think the tcase was dropped, and now looking back at the install sheets online, it doesnt show a tcase drop, just spacers for the skid plate, so i guess i dont have the tcase drop. hmmm... NOW, i am really really confused.. im assuming the skid was needed to be dropped so the driveshafts didnt rub it or hit it..

i need a book. do they make "Jeepin for Dummies" ???

mudslinger150 09-16-2009 10:51 AM

the tcase rests on the skid plate, the skid plate is what holds up the t-case, so when you drop the skid plate the t-case goes right along with it, so the skid plate drop is known as a T-case drop kit

RAGMAN 09-16-2009 10:54 AM

is the Tcase mounted with bolts to the skid plate ?? now its starting to make sense..
i thought the transfer case was mounted to the frame and the skid plate was just mounted to the frame rails and wasnt connected to the tcase..

is this correct ?

mudslinger150 09-16-2009 10:58 AM

t-case is connected to the skid plate with 4 studs yes.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.