Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Brochure says Sahra has front and rear locking diffs? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/brochure-says-sahra-has-front-and-rear-locking-diffs-36380.html)

silvrevo 09-13-2009 11:34 AM

Brochure says Sahra has front and rear locking diffs?
 
Hi all,, I asked this in another Jeep site,,, they just said Sahara dosnt have front and rear lockers,, its just like the X.

But my 2009 Jeep Brochure says in the Sahara section:

Creature Comforts:

Standard eq. command trac 4wd, front/rear electronic locking differentials, next generation danna 44 heavy duty solid rear axle,, ect ect ect.....


So whats the deal with that. Could Jeep have made a HUGE misprint?

thanks in advacne

ygohome 09-13-2009 12:50 PM

did the brochure cover all of the wranglers or was it specific to only the Sahara?

I'm wondering if they just listed a bunch of features without explaining which model of wrangler contains those standard features.

WOuld be cool if more wrnaglers came with lockers. What front axle is in the sahara?

Hitchhiker 09-13-2009 04:27 PM

I think the front/rear electronic locking differentials comes only on the Rubicons, I have an '08 Sahara and my diffs are definitely not lockers.

Badfish 09-13-2009 04:42 PM

only the rubi has the locking diffs. its becasue the rubi has the dana 44 front axle and the sahara has the dana 30 like the X. the jeep website only shows "Tru-Lok(R) Electronic Locking Frt/Rr Differentials" for the rubicon too. so yea im pretty sure your Jeep brochure is mistaken.

Hilldweller 09-13-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvrevo (Post 440031)
Hi all,, I asked this in another Jeep site,,, they just said Sahara dosnt have front and rear lockers,, its just like the X.

But my 2009 Jeep Brochure says in the Sahara section:

Creature Comforts:

Standard eq. command trac 4wd, front/rear electronic locking differentials, next generation danna 44 heavy duty solid rear axle,, ect ect ect.....


So whats the deal with that. Could Jeep have made a HUGE misprint?

thanks in advacne

Take the brochure to a dealer and demand the Sahara with lockers.

My wife took a video of me trying to get our 2008 Sahara up a steep one yesterday with a rocky ledge on top; I was wheeling with a bunch of locked Toyotas and they all bipped right up it.
Suffice it to say, my open diffs did not do Jeepdom proud. I'll have to upload the embarrassing footage to youtube to illustrate.

No; they don't come with lockers. And if Jeep did add them to Saharas this year, I think they'd have quite a few P.O.'d people like me at their door...
:bottom:

Ursine 09-13-2009 07:51 PM

My book says Limited Slip Differential.

Hilldweller 09-14-2009 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ursine (Post 440269)
My book says Limited Slip Differential.

That was an option at least but not lockers.

Here's my open diff demo reel:
YouTube - JK with open differentials on Beasley Knob

Rogerg 09-14-2009 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 440207)

My wife took a video of me trying to get our 2008 Sahara up a steep one yesterday with a rocky ledge on top; I was wheeling with a bunch of locked Toyotas and they all bipped right up it.
Suffice it to say, my open diffs did not do Jeepdom proud. I'll have to upload the embarrassing footage to youtube to illustrate.

Hilldweller...i couldnt tell on the video how really steep the hill is but i had the same problem as you did.But after reading a post in another forum about applying your brakes and stepping on the gas you would actually gain traction.So i seeked revenge on the same spot and i did the brake and gas trick and i climbed it no problem.Just a thought :)

Hilldweller 09-14-2009 08:13 AM

It was pretty dang steep; steep enough that it was scary to walk up...
The BLD's are supposed to do the brake trick for you.

I went up fine once the spotter directed me to the little hole in the ledge and one front wheel got traction.
It was just so humbling to watch 40 year old Land Cruisers go up easily.

I need some lockers.

4Jeepn 09-14-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 440478)
It was pretty dang steep; steep enough that it was scary to walk up...
The BLD's are supposed to do the brake trick for you.

I went up fine once the spotter directed me to the little hole in the ledge and one front wheel got traction.
It was just so humbling to watch 40 year old Land Cruisers go up easily.

I need some lockers.

I have run Beasly myself.. Very steep stuff.. and if rains.. forget about it.

Hilldweller 09-14-2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Jeepn (Post 440503)
I have run Beasly myself.. Very steep stuff.. and if rains.. forget about it.

I got there early while the mud was still damp with fog/dew; had to winch myself up 92C at the one big ledge to get to the campsite.

That's what started my locker fantasizing thing.
Nothing like crawling up a muddy hill first thing in the morning, trying to tug a winch line.

SoCal147 09-14-2009 10:55 AM

Looks like you were having a good time. The puppy was definitely concerned about you getting his ride dirty. :wavey:

silvrevo 09-14-2009 12:54 PM

HillD,,, thanks for that vid. Nice picture too, is that HD?

Also do you have the rear lsd in your Jeep.

The Brochure is the 2009 Jeep one. I also googled Sahara front and rear locking diffs, and got more info on them. All saying they come stock.

I will post a link here to one of them.

Im looking at a pretty nice White X with lsd rear, soft top,, power wiondows locks, sirius,, everything I need. I havnt done any off roading like that before,, but if I get a chance too, I would like to feel better about walking right up. Maybe I need ro shift to looking at a Rubi?

popstop785 09-14-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogerg (Post 440472)
Hilldweller...i couldnt tell on the video how really steep the hill is but i had the same problem as you did.But after reading a post in another forum about applying your brakes and stepping on the gas you would actually gain traction.So i seeked revenge on the same spot and i did the brake and gas trick and i climbed it no problem.Just a thought :)

What is this... Stepping on the gas while applying the brakes can increase traction?
How does that work exactly? I'm curious. That way if I understand how it works, I might be able to use it later in my offroading future. I'm always looking for good tips like that. :D

silvrevo 09-14-2009 01:04 PM

2009 Wrangler

scroll down to the Sahara section.

Under creatures need comfort too,,,, read the standard eq.

front and rear electorntic locking diffs.

If your 2009 Jeep Brochure dosnt says what mine does.

And you need to show it to your Law talking guy,, I can sell you mine. I take PayPal.

Im suprised nobody has caught this before?

silvrevo 09-14-2009 01:12 PM

This is a nice White one Im looking at. $26k msrp I think I can get them to $23k easy. Plus 3.9%, sales tax refund from Osama Motors, and a lifetime powertrain warrenty.

I need to trade in my 2007 335i thou on lease. Im about $2k book from what i owe. But in a few months it will be less, and the 2010's will be here, and Im sure this 2009 will have better motivation to be moved.

Maybe more Osoma Motors moneis?:flipoff:

No drulling on the bike please.............:D

Hilldweller 09-14-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvrevo (Post 440636)
HillD,,, thanks for that vid. Nice picture too, is that HD?

Also do you have the rear lsd in your Jeep.

Standard def video but it did look pretty sharp.

I didn't get the LSD.
Jeep's LSD is pretty lightly sprung and is hardly worth the money. You can get aftermarket with triple the amount force.
And, for that matter, why even bother when a locker would work better?


Stepping on the brake builds up torque; that's what the BLD's are doing in theory as well ------ in practice, it can work sometimes. Depending on what's holding you up, sometimes half a handful of e-brake will get you over.
But I don't like to try that on a hill that's steep enough to roll down...

daggo66 09-14-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvrevo (Post 440653)
And you need to show it to your Law talking guy,, I can sell you mine. I take PayPal.

Im suprised nobody has caught this before?

Good luck with that. Brochures have mistakes all the time. It's a brochure not a build sheet. If it's not on the window sticker, you're not getting it.

Rogerg 09-14-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popstop785 (Post 440651)
What is this... Stepping on the gas while applying the brakes can increase traction?
How does that work exactly? I'm curious. That way if I understand how it works, I might be able to use it later in my offroading future. I'm always looking for good tips like that. :D

I dont know if im allowed to post a link to another forum (please delete if need be)

here is the thread..What? Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4WD!

jk'n 09-15-2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvrevo (Post 440653)
2009 Wrangler

scroll down to the Sahara section.

Under creatures need comfort too,,,, read the standard eq.

front and rear electorntic locking diffs.

If your 2009 Jeep Brochure dosnt says what mine does.

And you need to show it to your Law talking guy,, I can sell you mine. I take PayPal.

Im suprised nobody has caught this before?

I followed your link. It wasn't to the Jeep website. I went to the Jeep website and listed the features for the Sahara and for the Rubicon. The Sahara did not list lockers and the Rubicon did. I would start there. It is hard to hold Jeep responsible for an ad on someone else's site.

bflank 09-15-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popstop785 (Post 440651)
What is this... Stepping on the gas while applying the brakes can increase traction?
How does that work exactly? I'm curious. That way if I understand how it works, I might be able to use it later in my offroading future. I'm always looking for good tips like that. :D

It's also sometimes called BTM (Brake Throttle Modulation). The link below comes from a Hummer oriented web site (oh the humanity), but the principle should still apply. I have minimal experience with using the technique so I cannot comment on its effectiveness. For more information you can Google "Brake Throttle Modulation" and draw your own conclusions.

BTM Technique

silvrevo 09-15-2009 01:12 PM

That link was from a google search.

GO FIND A 2009 Wrnagler Brochure.

Im sure some of you people have those. Thats where I first seen and read about it.

Do I need to take a picture of the Sahara page in the 2009 Wrangler brochure to get any of you to believe this?

Somone go find a 2009 Wrangler brochure and look at this.

If not I will take a picture of that page and post it here.

daggo66 09-15-2009 09:43 PM

It really doesn't matter what the brochure says. Sahara doesn't have lockers.

jk'n 09-15-2009 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 441567)
It really doesn't matter what the brochure says. Sahara doesn't have lockers.

It wouldn't be the first time that a company puts out a brochure that leads you to believe something that isn't true. I'm with daggo, seeing something questionable in print doesn't make it so. The jeep website says that lockers are not standard on a Sahara. I would tend to go with that.

Fatbob309 09-16-2009 03:00 PM

Just looked all over jeep.com... No locker stock in anything other than the rubi

Bappy56 12-11-2011 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvrevo (Post 440031)
Hi all,, I asked this in another Jeep site,,, they just said Sahara dosnt have front and rear lockers,, its just like the X.

But my 2009 Jeep Brochure says in the Sahara section:

Creature Comforts:

Standard eq. command trac 4wd, front/rear electronic locking differentials, next generation danna 44 heavy duty solid rear axle,, ect ect ect.....


So whats the deal with that. Could Jeep have made a HUGE misprint?

thanks in advacne


The lockers are auto, they spin then lock in air. We've done an articulation in it, and its an amazing system. For reference, we have an 09' Sahara Unlimited, stock, point blank.http://www.wranglerforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Omar Brannstrom 12-11-2011 03:17 AM

Hi

Here is a Wrangler LJ and a Wrangler TJ with open diff and lacks BLD. The JK has BLD and reaches the topp.

See this movie here, about 7mb, takes some time to download it. I found it on a other forum, his name is DeepSky and You can search after the thread.

http://www.deepskye.com/images/Jeep/BLD.wmv

Hilldweller 12-11-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bappy56 (Post 1817522)
The lockers are auto, they spin then lock in air. We've done an articulation in it, and its an amazing system. For reference, we have an 09' Sahara Unlimited, stock, point blank.http://www.wranglerforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Brake Lock Differentials are NOT lockers. They do an admirable job and are a good piece of technology but they're not the same, not by a long shot.

kik 12-11-2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvrevo (Post 441252)
That link was from a google search.

GO FIND A 2009 Wrnagler Brochure.

Im sure some of you people have those. Thats where I first seen and read about it.

Do I need to take a picture of the Sahara page in the 2009 Wrangler brochure to get any of you to believe this?

Somone go find a 2009 Wrangler brochure and look at this.

If not I will take a picture of that page and post it here.

I believe it. But, it doesn't matter. There is always a disclaimer regarding printed material, etc. Mistakes happen in fliers/brochures. Only Rubicons have them and that's basically it. As always, see your dealer for details.

JIMBOX 12-11-2011 09:14 AM

:whistling: Sorry guys, but the '09 Wrangler Brochure--DOES LIST E LOCKERS for the SAHARA--

It ain't my fault-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 AM.