Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Think I blew my battery tonight, but it was weird... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/think-i-blew-my-battery-tonight-but-it-was-weird-36537.html)

MCDavis 09-15-2009 09:31 PM

Think I blew my battery tonight, but it was weird...
 
Got in the jeep around 8:30, turned the key, heard a weird "thump" sound, smoke came out from under the hood, and nothing happened other than me jumping out worried about something being on fire.

The thump was one of the battery water covers being blown off into the hood and falling on the ground under the jeep. Battery is a Daimler Chrysler, possibly the original.

Jumped it off, drove it home, and the battery gauge read just over 14 like everything was normal.

Turned it off and it went completely dead again. Now, when I open the doors and the lights try to come on, the speedo/tach needle dance around like they're possessed (the jeep is black, after all).

So, jeep guru's, wtf is wrong with my Jeep?

jpdocdave 09-15-2009 09:38 PM

all my years i've never heard of a battery doing that. definately change that original battery, if the battery is fried, bad cell or something you can cause further damage to starter and/or alternator by continuing to jump it and try it. hopefully thats all it is. make sure the ground is good, and the clamps are good and tight on the new battery, clean the corrosion.

sublimemaze 09-15-2009 09:59 PM

sounds like you detonated a little bubble of hydrogen with some loose clamps or something. replace the battery, clean the clamps real well, and make sure they are real tight. if they wont tighten enough, you can lay them tall sideways on something hard and hammer the sides in a bit. I do it all the time at work when terminals are a little too loose. Youd be suprised the crazy symptoms loose battery terminals and wires can cause.

MCDavis 09-15-2009 10:04 PM

sublime, will a small amount of the acid hurt the hood insulation where the cap hit it?

350chevrolet 09-15-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCDavis (Post 441643)
sublime, will a small amount of the acid hurt the hood insulation where the cap hit it?

i didnt even know wranglers came with insulation on the hood. it might do something to it but the insulation is a useless part anyway so i wouldnt worry about it.

sublimemaze 09-15-2009 10:52 PM

spray some water on it from a hose pipe, hose down the batt. box area and you will be good to go. dont let acid sit on stuff, it will eat your wiring and/or electronics and if its sits for a long time, even your sheet metal body pannels itself. as for any insulation, its probobly synthetic or fiberglass based, so its not going to kill it. If its organic based like a wood fiber type stuff it might eat it up some. Like i said just hose it off good with water.

Mrmikeypoo 09-16-2009 07:39 AM

you can always pour a coke ( or pepsi or whatever) over the affected areas. The drink will neutralize the battery acid left. It is also a great way to keep the battery clean. A clean battery is a happy battery!

HamiltonLJ 09-16-2009 07:45 AM

I had a battery explode on me once! It was Chevy though! The starter came loose and dropped down on the header and pow!

mrcarcrazy 09-16-2009 08:37 AM

Yup, batteries explode from time to time. I know of a brand "voltphreaks" that have exploded in more than one Lotus.

trash it, and try again.

As you noticed, you can drive all day long on a dead (or no) battery. The ALternator keeps it running. But to start it you need a battery or someone to jump it, or if its a manual transmission you can use a small hill and push start it.

MCDavis 09-16-2009 09:10 AM

Ok, battery's out and area is hosed down. Even cleaned the mud out of battery tray. Can't get a Die Hard Platinum in my small town, so I'm leaning towards a Carquest or O'Reilly AGM battery, if they're in stock.

mrcarcrazy 09-16-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCDavis (Post 441862)
Ok, battery's out and area is hosed down. Even cleaned the mud out of battery tray. Can't get a Die Hard Platinum in my small town, so I'm leaning towards a Carquest or O'Reilly AGM battery, if they're in stock.

Reason for AGM? Your battery isn't in the passenger compartment...don't see the need. But They are good batteries, so I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just curious.

MCDavis 09-16-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy (Post 441875)
Reason for AGM? Your battery isn't in the passenger compartment...don't see the need. But They are good batteries, so I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just curious.

Most of the AGM's I've seen online already have dual terminals, a high (800 range) CC amps rating, and advertise as being more "shock resistant". They're in the $140 range, so I figure while I'm buying a battery, why not?

I'll be glad to listen to any input suggesting against the AGM. It would save some money.

mrcarcrazy 09-16-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCDavis (Post 441899)
Most of the AGM's I've seen online already have dual terminals, a high (800 range) CC amps rating, and advertise as being more "shock resistant". They're in the $140 range, so I figure while I'm buying a battery, why not?

I'll be glad to listen to any input suggesting against the AGM. It would save some money.

I don't have any rational reason to say don't get one. other than cost vs benefit.

I ran em in My miata's...but the battery was located in the trunk

Jerry Bransford 09-16-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy (Post 441875)
Reason for AGM? Your battery isn't in the passenger compartment...don't see the need. But They are good batteries, so I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just curious.

AGM is a very good choice for a Jeep battery. It won't/can't leak if the Jeep tips or rolls over and its higher density usually means more power per square inch of battery. I won't spend the extra $$$ for an AGM for any of my three cars but I'd have nothing but an AGM battery in my Jeep. :)

MCDavis 09-16-2009 01:06 PM

Ok, couldn't get a Die Hard Platinum in my town, and couldn't justify the price of the Carquest AGM with the same specs as O'Reilly, so I got the O'Reilly Super Start Extreme AGM. 3 year full replacement, 7 year total warranty, 785 CCA, dual terminal. Felt like it was the best deal of what I could find in my small town, and really didn't want the Jeep down for a week or longer.

Got the alternator checked and it's fine.

I know it wound up being just a battery, but it's the first time one's blown on me like that. I really appreciate the input from all, and the Geezer PM's. ;)

Thanks!

mudslinger150 09-16-2009 01:39 PM

just guy a big pack of AA batterys at BJ's or Costco and wire them all together, that the cheapest way.

MCDavis 09-16-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudslinger150 (Post 442079)
just guy a big pack of AA batterys at BJ's or Costco and wire them all together, that the cheapest way.

I really wish you'd have told me that BEFORE I bought my battery...I've got a ton of AA's at home!! :D

mudslinger150 09-16-2009 01:46 PM

theres always next time :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.