Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Is this Rubicon a Good Deal? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/is-this-rubicon-a-good-deal-365842.html)

Robotron 10-29-2013 10:54 PM

Is this Rubicon a Good Deal?
 
5 Attachment(s)
My wife and I are wanting to trade in our 2010 Cherokee for a JKUR. We found a 2009 that has been lifted with Nitto Trail Grapplers, a Rugged Ridge front bumper and I believe a Body Armor rear bumper and tire carrier. I saw some Skyjacker steering components also. The dealer is asking $27,955 and it has about 41,160 miles on it.


http://www.leechryslerdodgejeepflori...4f798a3df8.htm

Polishviking 10-29-2013 11:22 PM

I would buy 2012 or newer. The engine is that much better.

Noir4X4 10-29-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robotron (Post 5751450)
My wife and I are wanting to trade in our 2010 Cherokee for a JKUR. We found a 2009 that has been lifted with Nitto Trail Grapplers, a Rugged Ridge front bumper and I believe a Body Armor rear bumper and tire carrier. I saw some Skyjacker steering components also. The dealer is asking $27,955 and it has about 41,160 miles on it.

http://www.leechryslerdodgejeepflori...4f798a3df8.htm

Looks clean…I would offer $22K if the engine checks out in good shape.

lando76 10-29-2013 11:30 PM

I agree with the new engine. For $28k with 41k miles being about 5 years old id say you can do much better. Your better off buying stock and building it the way you want. Dont pay extra their charging for a so so set up.

County98 10-29-2013 11:32 PM

For 28K, I would buy a brand new JKU. Full warranty, newer motor, and you know it hasnt been messed up.

BUT, if it speaks to you and you love all those exact mods, then go for it and dont look back.

InvictusDecretum 10-30-2013 12:51 AM

Yeah... 2012 got rid of the chrysler minivan engine and upgraded to the 3.6l pentastar. Even with it's strange (I think) oil filter, it's an awesome engine and much lighter. But I still wouldn't give up my I6 for anything.

dodge 10-30-2013 12:59 AM

I agree with the above post for the asking price you could a 2014 sport with warranty.

kjeeper10 10-30-2013 04:24 AM

Get the price down some .... I would def consider a preowned Rubi if taking care of (mall crawled) at a good price ;)

Remember ... The 4:10 gearing helps with the power.

danrb 10-30-2013 04:45 AM

Depends. I bought a Rubi, cause my dealer suggested it would be better off road. Then I found they won't honor the warranty if you take it off road. So I have a brand new Rubi with a bad throw out bearing still in the warranty period that Chrysler won't repair, because I took it off road. Chrysler warranties are worthless if you off road.

4Jeepn 10-30-2013 05:46 AM

If you where to look at the websites of our two jeep dealers here on the forum, I know at least one of them has new rubi for about 4k more than the one above... that would be the way i would go.

dalearyous 10-30-2013 06:07 AM

2012 or newer, period. i wouldn't wish minivan engine on anyone.

dukedallas 10-30-2013 06:24 AM

Going to be under powered with the bigger tires more drag due to the lift, it looks pretty but you wont be able to get out of your own way. Get 2012 or newer! Plus the interior will be 100X better.

kjeeper10 10-30-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalearyous (Post 5754650)
2012 or newer, period. i wouldn't wish minivan engine on anyone.

You guys are funny lol

peanut09 10-30-2013 08:05 AM

It would be a very rare time where I would recommend buying a used jeep that is already lifted. People do not know how to take care of jeeps after offroading. They go into water don't check stuff and put cheap lifts on them and and and... I would buy something else.

kjeeper10 10-30-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut09 (Post 5756586)
It would be a very rare time where I would recommend buying a used jeep that is already lifted. People do not know how to take care of jeeps after offroading. They go into water don't check stuff and put cheap lifts on them and and and... I would buy something else.

You do have a point. I just noticed the dual stabilizers. Maybe a reason for it ??

simadownow6988 10-30-2013 08:17 AM

Unless you want the old "dual fuel" motor that burns gas and oil, get a 2012 or newer. The new motor and tranny combo is night and day difference! I wouldnt own a 2011 or down JK unless there is plans to upgrade to a Hemi.

Robotron 11-01-2013 06:52 PM

Thank you all for the responses! We ended up not pull the trigger on this one. I agree that a new or year old one will be a better fit. Thanks again!

JandS 11-02-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robotron (Post 5751450)
My wife and I are wanting to trade in our 2010 Cherokee for a JKUR. We found a 2009 that has been lifted with Nitto Trail Grapplers, a Rugged Ridge front bumper and I believe a Body Armor rear bumper and tire carrier. I saw some Skyjacker steering components also. The dealer is asking $27,955 and it has about 41,160 miles on it.


Used 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon For Sale in Ft Walton Beach FL | 1J8GA69199L709945 | Crestview, Pensacola & Wright

Honestly, I'd buy a new one. You can get a new JKU (not a Rubi) for that price. You can get a new Rubi by adding less than $10k.

Hammertime 11-02-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danrb (Post 5754106)
Depends. I bought a Rubi, cause my dealer suggested it would be better off road. Then I found they won't honor the warranty if you take it off road. So I have a brand new Rubi with a bad throw out bearing still in the warranty period that Chrysler won't repair, because I took it off road. Chrysler warranties are worthless if you off road.

That's a terrible dealer and show them your displeasure by never doing business there again. I've had a few warranty repairs done even though I off road extensively. I had a 2010 Power Wagon that broke a tie rod offroad and Ram paid up to fix it. They even paid for an remote tow, hotel and meals while stuck waiting for the part to arrive in Blythe, CA. I've also had a 2002 Ram 1500 fixed under warranty and a 2005 Rubicon.

Get a new dealer. Jeep backs their Wranglers offroad and Ram backs their Power Wagon as long as you're not being ridiculous. (jumping you rig or flying through the whoop-deee-dooos at 75 MPH...:)

danrb 11-02-2013 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammertime (Post 5832450)
That's a terrible dealer and show them your displeasure by never doing business there again. I've had a few warranty repairs done even though I off road extensively. I had a 2010 Power Wagon that broke a tie rod offroad and Ram paid up to fix it. They even paid for an remote tow, hotel and meals while stuck waiting for the part to arrive in Blythe, CA. I've also had a 2002 Ram 1500 fixed under warranty and a 2005 Rubicon.

Get a new dealer. Jeep backs their Wranglers offroad and Ram backs their Power Wagon as long as you're not being ridiculous. (jumping you rig or flying through the whoop-deee-dooos at 75 MPH...:)

Mine even failed on blacktop. When the dealer refused the repair I filled a complaint with Chrysler and they said since I had it off roading, their assumption was I abused the clutch and they wouldn't pay to fix it. This was Chrysler and not the dealer. I've scrapped a few rocks but there is no dings on the transmission, engine, drive shafts, etc. All on the armor of the Rubicon which the dealer encouraged me to buy and take off roading.

Love my Jeep, just will never trust any transaction with Chrysler again.

lando76 11-09-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danrb (Post 5754106)
Depends. I bought a Rubi, cause my dealer suggested it would be better off road. Then I found they won't honor the warranty if you take it off road. So I have a brand new Rubi with a bad throw out bearing still in the warranty period that Chrysler won't repair, because I took it off road. Chrysler warranties are worthless if you off road.


Let me get this right.... They built a " Rubicon " edition jeep which got it's badge from testing on the Rubicon trail which involves offroading. They slapped dana 44's and 4.10 gears with electronic lockers and a low crawl ratio transfer case for what purpose?............To drive on pavement?

If I were you I would grow some balls and be heard bro!

danrb 11-09-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lando76 (Post 5994802)
Let me get this right.... They built a " Rubicon " edition jeep which got it's badge from testing on the Rubicon trail which involves offroading. They slapped dana 44's and 4.10 gears with electronic lockers and a low crawl ratio transfer case for what purpose?............To drive on pavement?

If I were you I would grow some balls and be heard bro!

Haha. I've been to Chrysler to complain with the same words. I post this problem everywhere I can. I'm pulling the clutch, to show that the problem is the throwout bearing, and send them a bill.

Throwout bearing is a common parts failure in Jeeps. I'll push it as far as I can.

lando76 11-09-2013 11:19 AM

Contact your local news outlet. We have two stations that have a dedicated dude to shed some high quality air time for just this kind of situation.

Are they blaming it on your driving habits with the stick shift?
I know my 04' Rubicon stick rattled like a diesel with the clutch out.

danrb 11-09-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lando76 (Post 5995434)
Contact your local news outlet. We have two stations that have a dedicated dude to shed some high quality air time for just this kind of situation.

Are they blaming it on your driving habits with the stick shift?
I know my 04' Rubicon stick rattled like a diesel with the clutch out.

Nope they made the assumption that my off roading the Rubicon caused the clutch to fail. Been driving a stick for over 30 years this is the first one to fail.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.