Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   My Neighbor Shot My Seat Covers! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/my-neighbor-shot-my-seat-covers-36626.html)

BlackHawkTJ 09-17-2009 10:49 AM

My Neighbor Shot My Seat Covers!

So about 1230 last night I heard a gun shot so i got up to investigate and discovered a bullet hole in my ceiling. This bullet had come up through my floor, through my laundry basket with my seat covers in it, through my seat covers and into my ceiling. Then I waited a while to see if someone would come by and see if they shot anyone, but no one did, so I called the police. Then they went knocking on doors and discovered it was the guy 2 floors down from me (the units in-between us are empty) that "accidentally" shot his ceiling and thus my floor, ceiling and seat covers. So first off I am pissed that he shot into his ceiling and didn't bother checking where his bullet went.:mad: Second I want to make sure I don't end up paying for the damage to my apartment, and I want the money for my seat covers. My question is do you think I should resolve this between me, him, and my landlord or should I press formal charges? I am not sure how big of deal to make of this.

stevens243 09-17-2009 10:52 AM

Get a police report and give it to the landlord (when you call him over to do an inspection).

Ask the guy to replace damaged stuff (seat covers) and if he doesn't, perhaps it would be time to press charges.

Too bad that idiot...well nevermind.

Cons_Table 09-17-2009 10:54 AM

that is prlly the craziest story ive ever heard

mrcarcrazy 09-17-2009 11:12 AM

Wow. That's mind boggling. I agree with above posts. If he tries to be a dick to you, I say press charges.

Definitely talk to landlord immediately.

Oh and get some 1/2 inch steel plate and line your floor with it.

Scout 09-17-2009 11:14 AM

Jeez. I don't think you'll have to worry about pressing charges. The State will probably do that for you.

Tell your landlord and he'll make the guy pay. I'm glad you're OK. That could have easily ended up with you, or someone else, dead.

Scout 09-17-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy (Post 442717)
Oh and get some 1/2 inch steel plate and line your floor with it.

Good idea. :D

4point 09-17-2009 11:15 AM

You should get a police report! The guy is flat out a dumb-ass. There is no margin of error when it comes to firearms. He did not take proper precautions to protect others when doing whatever it was he was up to.

Joe Dirt 09-17-2009 11:20 AM

POLICE REPORT!
Then clean your loaded gun with the barrel aimed down toward the floor.:firedevil:

joemd60 09-17-2009 11:23 AM

I agree with the others, the turn out could have been a lot worse.

Geoff@Bestop 09-17-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackHawkTJ (Post 442705)
I am not sure how big of deal to make of this.

You've got a neighbor who gets drunk* and shoots into your apartment.
And you're concerned about getting the money back for your seat covers?

I think you could ask the manager to evict him, based on tenant safety. Statistically, someone who does this once is very likely to be a person who does this again.

*assumes facts not in evidence. But I think we can guess he was drunk.

05GT-O.C.D. 09-17-2009 11:26 AM

I'd highly reccommend getting Kevlar seat covers next time.

Cons_Table 09-17-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D. (Post 442729)
I'd highly reccommend getting Kevlar seat covers next time.

are these water proof?

05GT-O.C.D. 09-17-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 442730)
are these water proof?

:rofl:

jgano23 09-17-2009 11:48 AM

press charges!! someone could have been killed! if the guy was stupid and careless enough to let it happen once so i am sure he would be stupid and careless enough to let it happen again. if that were, me i would have called the cops immediately and had the guy arrested. i'm all for the right to bear arms, but it idiots like this that make a bad name for gun owners.

jcf 09-17-2009 12:03 PM

Have him evicted & press charges he's an idiot

skeeter 09-17-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 442726)
You've got a neighbor who gets drunk* and shoots into your apartment.
And you're concerned about getting the money back for your seat covers?

I think you could ask the manager to evict him, based on tenant safety. Statistically, someone who does this once is very likely to be a person who does this again.

*assumes facts not in evidence. But I think we can guess he was drunk.

Statistically? can you point me to those statistics?
It's generally been my experience that a negligent discharge is like a huge clueX4 upside the head unless the person is a complete moron.

I agree with scout, the state will likely take care of pressing charges. If the guy doesn't offer willing to pay for damages then file a small claims case.

Glad nobody was hurt.

Fweaky 09-17-2009 12:35 PM

I say get a gun and shoot your floor...

4point 09-17-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter (Post 442787)
It's generally been my experience that a negligent discharge is like a huge clueX4 upside the head unless the person is a complete moron.

I don't understand your comment.

Schmo 09-17-2009 12:51 PM

This is exactly why I use a 12 guage for home defense vs. a handgun. I want to kill the intruder . . . not my neighbor. I actually use bird shot in the first round figuring at 10 feet, it'll do a enough damage for me to get off a well placed second shot if needed, without the risk to my neighbors.

ccain 09-17-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

So about 1230 last night I heard a gun shot so i got up to investigate and discovered a bullet hole in my ceiling. This bullet had come up through my floor, through my laundry basket with my seat covers in it, through my seat covers and into my ceiling.

Yeah! And if you don't keep the noise down up there I'll make sure I hit you in the arse next time! :p

j/k - I'm glad you're OK. I don't think the gravity of the situation has fully kicked in yet. You'll soon forget about the seat covers and realize jut how lucky you are to be alive. I mean, that bullet could have came through the floor ANYWHERE!

05GT-O.C.D. 09-17-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmo (Post 442798)
This is exactly why I use a 12 guage for home defense vs. a handgun. I want to kill the intruder . . . not my neighbor. I actually use bird shot in the first round figuring at 10 feet, it'll do a enough damage for me to get off a well placed second shot if needed, without the risk to my neighbors.

Ammo selection is key for home defense. While the good ole 12ga has the best reputation for home defense, a short barrel 12ga is deafening in close quarters.

For this reason, I specifically pack .38spl rounds in my wife's .357. Less muzzle flash, less volume, less recoil for second shot pickup, less potential for overpenetration, while a well placed .38 round in close quarters will offer appropriate stopping power. Being 2 feet away from the muzzle of high powered round can act like a flash bang and stun the shooter as well as the person on the receiving end.

skeeter 09-17-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4point (Post 442795)
I don't understand your comment.

You ever make a huge, potentially catastrophic mistake but by the grace of whatever otherworldly force you might believe in, you manage not to kill either yourself or anyone else? That type of mistake tends to stick with you for a long long time.
By clueX4 I mean the sudden realization of the sheer stupidity of your actions hits you like a 2X4 to the side of the head.
As pessimistic as I am, I tend to believe most people aren't gibbering idiots, stupidity can be cured with the appropriate application of pain and or humiliation.

Schmo 09-17-2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D. (Post 442811)
Ammo selection is key for home defense. While the good ole 12ga has the best reputation for home defense, a short barrel 12ga is deafening in close quarters.

For this reason, I specifically pack .38spl rounds in my wife's .357. Less muzzle flash, less volume, less recoil for second shot pickup, less potential for overpenetration, while a well placed .38 round in close quarters will offer appropriate stopping power. Being 2 feet away from the muzzle of high powered round can act like a flash bang and stun the shooter as well as the person on the receiving end.

In tight quarters like an apartment or a condo, a 38 round will still have enough energy to travel thru a wall and still pack enough of a punch to kill your neighbor. The small size of the bird load should reduce this greatly. Yeah the short barrel 12g is loud, but my ears ringing for a couple of days is probably going to be the least of my concerns if I'm actually in a situation where I need to use deadly force. I've put many a round thru my 12g, and it's never acted like a flash bang or stunned me . . . If you don't have any practice with the firearm, you probably shouldn't depend on it for home defense.

csamn2007 09-17-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4point (Post 442720)
You should get a police report! The guy is flat out a dumb-ass. There is no margin of error when it comes to firearms. He did not take proper precautions to protect others when doing whatever it was he was up to.

I am with 4point. I would make sure something more than a slap on the wrist for this. Someone would have been killed, he should have taken precautions.

4point 09-17-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter (Post 442821)
You ever make a huge, potentially catastrophic mistake but by the grace of whatever otherworldly force you might believe in, you manage not to kill either yourself or anyone else? That type of mistake tends to stick with you for a long long time.
By clueX4 I mean the sudden realization of the sheer stupidity of your actions hits you like a 2X4 to the side of the head.
As pessimistic as I am, I tend to believe most people aren't gibbering idiots, stupidity can be cured with the appropriate application of pain and or humiliation.

When I was a teenager I shot my dads Olds 88 once. It got in the flight path of a pheasant. :D That was my closest call ever and there was no one near it for a safe distance.

I get what you're saying. :punk:

Geoff@Bestop 09-17-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter (Post 442787)
Statistically? can you point me to those statistics?

I agree with scout, the state will likely take care of pressing charges. If the guy doesn't offer willing to pay for damages then file a small claims case.

Glad nobody was hurt.

Pop Quiz.
Who do you think is most likely to shoot a hole through BlackHawk's floor again:

a. A person who doesn't own a gun.
b. A person who owns a gun, but has shown himself to be a responsible, mature gun owner.
c. A person who has in the past shoot straight up into their ceiling at 12:30 in the morning .

jgano23 09-17-2009 02:13 PM

i am going to say "A." did i get it right?

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 09-17-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

So about 1230 last night I heard a gun shot so i got up to investigate and discovered a bullet hole in my ceiling. This bullet had come up through my floor, through my laundry basket with my seat covers in it, through my seat covers and into my ceiling.

Don't you want a new laundry basket?? :D

Glad you're okay man. :)

4Jeepn 09-17-2009 02:26 PM

First glad to hear you are okay. I was looking to rent a new place, and I think it will be a house after reading this.. I say get manager to get you into a different place or move mr. Happy trigger.

Levinoss 09-17-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 442841)
Pop Quiz.
Who do you think is most likely to shoot a hole through BlackHawk's floor again:

a. A person who doesn't own a gun.
b. A person who owns a gun, but has shown himself to be a responsible, mature gun owner.
c. A person who has in the past shoot straight up into their ceiling at 12:30 in the morning .

Does person A own a ninja sword?