Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Buying a Used Wrangler with many miles on it (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/buying-a-used-wrangler-with-many-miles-on-it-366682.html)

nmuntz 10-30-2013 03:36 PM

Buying a Used Wrangler with many miles on it
 
Hello,

I currently own a 2002 Volkswagen Golf with 37,282 miles on it. I've been crazy about buying a Jeep Wrangler for years and I feel like the moment is now. I can't afford a brand new 2013 Jeep Wrangler (and I actually don't like their latest models, I prefer the old classic look) so I'm looking into buying a used one.

I found a 2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ that has around 95,069 miles on it and overall looks in great shape. It's a 4 cylinder, 2.5 cc with 130 hp.

My question is - is it totally crazy for me to want to change my car for a jeep that has double the miles on it and actually have to pay a bit more for it? :) How reliable can a jeep with these many miles on it be? Worst-case scenario, how much could it cost to replace the whole engine?

Looking for some tips and advise from the experts.
Thank you very much in advance for any help/pointers/advise you can give me!

Mypantera 10-30-2013 03:50 PM

95,000 miles is really low for a Jeep. I have seen them many times going well over 200,000 miles.

Ironhead Jed 10-30-2013 03:52 PM

personally i'd look for a 4.0L. mine had 130k on it when i got it, runs like a champ

530ktm 10-30-2013 03:54 PM

I would not worry too much about the engine. These things seem to run forever if maintained properly and 95,000 miles is not too much for these. Not sure where you are but make sure the rest is not shot like rust for one. It is also best to buy one that is pretty much stock that way you know someone has not messed it up by doing things incorrectly. What is the transmission by the way. Manuals are solid but I personally would prefer the 6 over the 4 banger.

Shark_13 10-30-2013 04:01 PM

Yup, you won't see much difference in gas mileage do you should look for the inline 6.

MarkGLHS 10-30-2013 04:29 PM

how many wranglers have you looked at so far? if this is the only one then I would suggest you look at more before deciding. 95K is not a lot of miles for a TJ that has been properly maintained, but as was written in other replies the 4.0L 6-cyl TJ is a much better choice. look at lots of TJ's then decide, good luck, you will not be disappointed.

GGA1759 10-30-2013 04:37 PM

FYI my 2000 TJ Sport has 144k miles on it and I bought it new. There might be some general maintenance to do on things that normally wear and tear, but if the fluids have been changed regularly as well as the plugs, it should be good. I just recently put new shocks, control arms, plugs and stainless brake lines(they were really rusted) in and it drives like it's brand new again. Now I just have to replaced an idler pulley and I'll get rid of an annoying squeal. :D

Verf 10-30-2013 04:48 PM

Buy the inline 6 cylinder. Its been in production since '87 and based off the AMC motor from 1965. All they did was improve what was already good. Which is why you typically hear people getting 300k+ miles out of these motors, rebuilt them and get another 300k+. The inline is a beast of a motor, gets great cooling both from air flow and internal water jacket. Do regular maintenance and it'll outlast you and your kids. Trust what these fine folks are writing, look for the I6, 4L. There isn't much difference in gas mileage if thats what you are looking for, keep the hard top on, lol.
Good luck, and ask away on questions, good people on here.

t3456 10-30-2013 05:16 PM

95k is pretty low miles for a tj. Mines got 182k still goin strong. And yes it's the i6

MosesTJ 10-30-2013 05:49 PM

I agree with the above I6 comment. I bought our 97' with 182k miles and it is still strong at 204k on it.

nmuntz 10-30-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkGLHS (Post 5766082)
how many wranglers have you looked at so far? if this is the only one then I would suggest you look at more before deciding. 95K is not a lot of miles for a TJ that has been properly maintained, but as was written in other replies the 4.0L 6-cyl TJ is a much better choice. look at lots of TJ's then decide, good luck, you will not be disappointed.

Thank you all very much for your answers :)
I'm located in Chile, so it is very hard to find old Wranglers for sale around here. There's another TJ in the area but it's a 2004 and its got the same amount of miles on it, but sells for a lot more money since it's got pretty much new everything (new suspensions, new wheels, new clutch, etc).
By the way, the 2000 TJ is a manual transmission (so is the 2004 TJ).

What's the main difference between the 4 cyl vs the 6 cyl? Just the gas consumption?

Oldjeeper69 10-30-2013 06:07 PM

I have a 1997 I6 and it has 148,000 on it.

And it runs like the day it was new.

Just normal maintenance and good to go.

Just find a well maintained one that's the key.

wmeyer116 10-30-2013 06:09 PM

Get the I6, and it will last a very long time.

jp2611 10-30-2013 06:22 PM

The main difference (and not trying to be a smart a$$) is the 2 cylinders...and MOST of the time what you gain or loose with the extra 2 is not enough to worry about.

Jeeps are not known for speed so the extra power of the 6 over the 4 is not that big of a deal on the highway...and a lot of people wheel the 4cyl and does as well as the 4.0L. and the mpg is not that much better if at all with the 4cyl

One thing to keep in mind is Jeep made a whole lot more 4.0L 6cyl which means more aftermarket parts and replacement parts....and as for miles

MY '04 has 165K and only thing that has been replaced is wear items...or items I replaced just to upgrade for off-road. but fluid changes are vital it is the Blood of the machine...keep it clean!!!

nmuntz 10-30-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp2611 (Post 5768690)
The main difference (and not trying to be a smart a$$) is the 2 cylinders...and MOST of the time what you gain or loose with the extra 2 is not enough to worry about.

Jeeps are not known for speed so the extra power of the 6 over the 4 is not that big of a deal on the highway...and a lot of people wheel the 4cyl and does as well as the 4.0L. and the mpg is not that much better if at all with the 4cyl

One thing to keep in mind is Jeep made a whole lot more 4.0L 6cyl which means more aftermarket parts and replacement parts....and as for miles

MY '04 has 165K and only thing that has been replaced is wear items...or items I replaced just to upgrade for off-road. but fluid changes are vital it is the Blood of the machine...keep it clean!!!

Great!!! That's what I wanted to hear :)
Thank you very much!

Plowboy1970 10-30-2013 06:32 PM

That is not bad mileage for a TJ The 4 cylinder is cheaper to buy, but the thing is gutless to the 6 cylinder. I have had both and I sold the 97 4 cylinder with 118K on it for $4400 is all I could get. The 6 cylinder around here is $6K+ for a 97. I would not pay more than $6K for a 2000 4 cylinder. How much do they want?

nmuntz 10-30-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plowboy1970 (Post 5768930)
That is not bad mileage for a TJ The 4 cylinder is cheaper to buy, but the thing is gutless to the 6 cylinder. I have had both and I sold the 97 4 cylinder with 118K on it for $4400 is all I could get. The 6 cylinder around here is $6K+ for a 97. I would not pay more than $6K for a 2000 4 cylinder. How much do they want?

You are lucky!! Over here (in Chile) you won't find a Wrangler for less than $13,500. That's the average.
The guy selling the TJ 2000 is asking for $14,176. I know the smart thing to say would be "No way I'm paying that money!" , but you won't find a cheaper one around here :( The good thing is that they retain their value and if I ever need to sell it I could still get good money out of it. What do you think?

UFOtestpilot 10-30-2013 06:42 PM

I'm on my way to chile with a hauler full of Jeeps! Holy crap!

nmuntz 10-30-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFOtestpilot (Post 5769162)
I'm on my way to chile with a hauler full of Jeeps! Holy crap!

Hahahaha!! No kidding!!
Buying a used wrangler in the US and then shipping it by boat would still be cheaper than buying it here. Unfortunately by law you can't buy used vehicles from overseas :worthy:

Plowboy1970 10-30-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmuntz (Post 5769074)
You are lucky!! Over here (in Chile) you won't find a Wrangler for less than $13,500. That's the average.
The guy selling the TJ 2000 is asking for $14,176. I know the smart thing to say would be "No way I'm paying that money!" , but you won't find a cheaper one around here :( The good thing is that they retain their value and if I ever need to sell it I could still get good money out of it. What do you think?

But compared to the US dollar, what is a new Sport over there?

nmuntz 10-30-2013 06:51 PM

Over here a brand new Wrangler sport costs around $33,866

Plowboy1970 10-30-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmuntz (Post 5769330)
Over here a brand new Wrangler sport costs around $33,866

Sports over here start at about $27K

UFOtestpilot 10-30-2013 06:59 PM

Here we have tons of TJ's, LJ's, and Rubicons in both wheelbases. Ranging from decent shape to full on garage queens with <20k miles. However, the good ones are about 30-60% more than these "awesome" deals that some folks on this site seem to be getting.

I paid more for my LJ than a lot of folks here say is "usual and customary". Doesn't matter to me though because I got a solid hard top LJ in really good shape with less than 60k miles. It's worth what it's worth to you my friend. I wouldn't want the 4cyl. But that's my preference. I hope you find a good one for you and enjoy it!

97 tj mike 10-30-2013 07:14 PM

I just bought a 97 TJ with the 2.5 172,*** miles on it and it runs good, no smoke, starts right up. The exhaust manifold is leaking but that is the only issue I see so far. And that seems to be a cheap fix.
The previous owner said he did replace the trans recently though.

Good Luck in your search

trebormesos 10-30-2013 07:37 PM

97 TJ 2.5 206,500 miles on it. Runs great no problems.
PO took great care of it.

kawzak 10-30-2013 08:24 PM

Let me throw in my 2 cents here. first let me say I really like my 98TJ w 84K miles. It was well taken care of. But is has had new radiator, u-joints @ rear drive shaft,Tune ups every 30K, Trans service every 20-25K, 1 rear axle (pitted @ brg), a/c hose starting to leak.AND never been off road- I will probably get bashed here for saying so- but compare that milage to a Toyota,Honda or other Jap vechicle (and probably your VW) you probably would just have to change oil/fluids and put gas in it/them for 200-300k miles before fixing anything. Jeeps are a fun 2 or 3rd vechicle. No way I would own one as my only vechicle, and I can fix anything that can go wrong.

prjeeper 10-30-2013 09:14 PM

x2... I love my new to me 01TJ. My lifestyle is such though that if it breaks down it's no big deal. I have all the time in the world to research any problem, order parts/tools, and wait for it all to come together. Bought it with 28500 miles or so. PO just put in new a radiator, serpentine belt and hoses. I had it one day and needed a new starter. By the time the repair was all said and done it was a week in the making with the shipping of the parts/tools. I'd hold off, keep the Golf, and save up to have a jeep as a 2nd vehicle.

2004CSOTP 10-30-2013 10:01 PM

Same here. I love it, but I don't have to depend on it. If you have to get rid of your car to buy it, I wouldn't.

Verf 11-01-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawzak (Post 5771562)
Let me throw in my 2 cents here. first let me say I really like my 98TJ w 84K miles. It was well taken care of. But is has had new radiator, u-joints @ rear drive shaft,Tune ups every 30K, Trans service every 20-25K, 1 rear axle (pitted @ brg), a/c hose starting to leak.AND never been off road- I will probably get bashed here for saying so- but compare that milage to a Toyota,Honda or other Jap vechicle (and probably your VW) you probably would just have to change oil/fluids and put gas in it/them for 200-300k miles before fixing anything. Jeeps are a fun 2 or 3rd vechicle. No way I would own one as my only vechicle, and I can fix anything that can go wrong.

Not gonna completely bash, but a couple thing to point out. Honda starter craps out, parts store might have it, prolly cost you between $125-$250. Then there's the 2 hours to remove and replace it, and that's being on the lean side cause I figure you know hat yer doing. Compare that to a Jeep. The parts store definitely has the starter cause it ain't changed in decades, lol. It costs $50 and takes longer to FIND your tools than to remove and replace it. You didn't have to jack it up, take a subframe off...nothing...
I owned Honda brand new. All I heard was how good they were. I'll never buy another. Bought a Mitsubishi. Love it. Hate it. Every car has their thing


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.