Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   New Jersey Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f93/)
-   -   Lift inspections? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f93/lift-inspections-368522.html)

NJ 94 YJ 10-31-2013 05:57 PM

Lift inspections?

Does anybody know if Manahawkin New Jersey still does lift inspections or are they required?

Tilt test?

dennis461 10-31-2013 06:37 PM

Here we go again....

lift certification - JeepForum.com

Rayko 11-01-2013 11:48 AM

None required, emissions only.

srad600 11-02-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayko (Post 5815546)
None required, emissions only.

This is true with stock height vehicles. You technically do still need a modified height vehicle inspection in NJ. the good news is most cops/rangers dont even know the law on at what point you need it. The bad news is its a bitch of a test and most Wharton Rangers do know you need it.

I got the ticket this past spring and then failed the test because I needed big ass mud flaps. I prob wont go get it done again, lol.

Oh yeah and my horn didnt work(clock spring). When you go for the modified height inspection they check EVERYTHING like the old school inspections and more.

larjeep 11-03-2013 04:53 PM

Just go to a local private station and pay. In n out. That's that

srad600 11-03-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larjeep (Post 5862818)
Just go to a local private station and pay. In n out. That's that

Last time I checked(last year) they didn't have acess to those stickers or permission to do those tests. Most won't have the ability to put it through the tilt test either.

Rayko 11-04-2013 03:48 PM

I think running a 6" lift like you are the Rangers will check you out. Someone with a
2"-3" lift will probably not have a problem. The higher the lift the more attention it will get.
I have a 2.5" and never had a problem with the Rangers down there.

larjeep 11-04-2013 04:55 PM

No. They don't have the stickers. But if u are over 5" then u have to deal with that.

NJ 94 YJ 11-09-2013 10:18 AM

4" suspension ( rough country) 33x12.5x15" Goodyear tires does it fall in because of overall hight or just by suspension lift?

KevinNJ 11-12-2013 07:07 AM

4 inches over stock is key. if you find out what your stock height was, just keep it at 3.5" over that and you don't need to go to the high lift test.

larjeep 11-12-2013 06:27 PM

Just put on a set of smaller tires. That's that.

srad600 11-12-2013 09:52 PM

That may help some but its not tire size they go by(though there is a max tire size allowed).

There is a lot of missinformation in this thread mixed in with some truth. Just look up the information and pick up the documents at the dmv. Yes the inspection still exists. Most do not need it. If your on 35s you prob do need it. If your on 37s and above you def do.

larjeep 11-13-2013 08:10 PM

The smaller tire is to get thru regular inspection then u switch back.

srad600 11-14-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larjeep (Post 6105866)
The smaller tire is to get thru regular inspection then u switch back.

Regular inspect doesn't care about your lift. They are a third party private company who simply check emissions, gas cap and check engine lights for things that effect emissions and smog regulations. You can go through with no brakes and a cracked windshield, as I did in my brother's XJ. You can ask them about lift inspections and they will tell you they don't know, as I did in my TJ. Its the cops and the rangers who know and care about the lift laws.

Also since the law specifies height over stock in reference to ground distance from bumper and bottom of the door sill in comparison to stock, you could still be illegal with small tires depending on lift size and vehicle.

Believe me when I tell you it is complicated, and doesn't make sense as everything else in NJ. So much so most regular twp cops prob don't know. If you want to know for sure check with the dmv as I said or ask a ranger. Just hope your legal and its a nice ranger. If your not sure still, go wheeling around the atsion ranger station and learn the expensive way like I did. Lol.

KevinNJ 11-14-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srad600 (Post 6111122)
Regular inspect doesn't care about your lift. They are a third party private company who simply check emissions, gas cap and check engine lights for things that effect emissions and smog regulations. You can go through with no brakes and a cracked windshield, as I did in my brother's XJ. You can ask them about lift inspections and they will tell you they don't know, as I did in my TJ. Its the cops and the rangers who know and care about the lift laws.

Also since the law specifies height over stock in reference to ground distance from bumper and bottom of the door sill in comparison to stock, you could still be illegal with small tires depending on lift size and vehicle.

Believe me when I tell you it is complicated, and doesn't make sense as everything else in NJ. So much so most regular twp cops prob don't know. If you want to know for sure check with the dmv as I said or ask a ranger. Just hope your legal and its a nice ranger. If your not sure still, go wheeling around the atsion ranger station and learn the expensive way like I did. Lol.

This, or stay out of the pine barrens. Seems like most cops north of 195 don't even know the law exists...Just look where the high lift inspections are located, both in south jersey and both with horrible hours. You can call one of them and talk to an inspector and they'll tell you exactly what's needed.

But that height to the bottom of door sill is the important measurement. I tell myself I'm 3.5 inches over stock so it has to be true :happyyes: