Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   YJ or TJ? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/yj-or-tj-36880.html)

Robert 09-22-2009 03:53 PM

YJ or TJ?
 
Hey everybody!

I have been wanting a jeep for over a year now and have done some research on them, I know they are great vehicles :)

But I am trying to decide on a YJ or TJ, my budget is 5k and I want something in moderatly(sp) good condition. Also that is reliable and I'm not trying to FIX every other day. I will probably offroad every other week or so on a regular basis, and I would just like to know your opinion!

mrcarcrazy 09-22-2009 03:57 PM

for 5K Its going to be an early TJ, or late YJ I figure
Drive one of each.

TJ's suspension is more forgiving on the road. (based on the few times I've ever sat in a YJ) Not to mention the TJ is way better looking :D

I say drive one first, decide which suspension you prefer, granted there are other differences but the suspension is one I'd consider early on.

Cons_Table 09-22-2009 04:05 PM

I prefer the TJ suspension also, and the round lights ;)


I can see this thread gettin kinda messy :pop:

birdhunter 09-22-2009 04:09 PM

look for a 6 cyl
For 5 grand you have alot to consider

jpdocdave 09-22-2009 04:12 PM

that is a tough place, you can find a sweet yj, or an older probably 4 cyl tj. drive them both. i prefer the simple strong and cheaper yj suspension, parts are cheaper, and the vehicle is less computerized. for yj stick with 91-95 4.0, you can usually find a really nice one for 3 to 4 grand and have some room to make it yours from there with lift, tires, lights whatever.

Cons_Table 09-22-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdhunter (Post 446229)
look for a 6 cyl
For 5 grand you have alot to consider

agreed, 6 cyl is worth it

Levinoss 09-22-2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert (Post 446220)
Also that is reliable and I'm not trying to FIX every other day.

You want a TJ :)


/putsonflamejacket

morphious 09-22-2009 04:17 PM

Ok guys now don't steer him completely toward the tj yet. OK first things first for the price range and fix ability ur after i agree a late yj or early tj.should be a easy grab for maybe even under 5k now the tj its a little more civilized for those how have t have a great feeling road travel but its more complicated then the yj. the yj had leaf spring solid axle suspension so its easy and time tested tough but a little more rough of a ride.But not enough to rule it out. as far as fixing goes the the yj is a little easier due to the suspension and less electronics.so i agree that u should try to drive both and get a feel for both. thats just my opinion i personally own a yj. by the way when ur looking yj's range from 87 to 95 tj's are 96 and up but i dont know that when they ended hope u find a good deal and join the jeep family soon.feel free to correct anything i messed up guys

Robert 09-22-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 446233)
that is a tough place, you can find a sweet yj, or an older probably 4 cyl tj. drive them both. i prefer the simple strong and cheaper yj suspension, parts are cheaper, and the vehicle is less computerized. for yj stick with 91-95 4.0, you can usually find a really nice one for 3 to 4 grand and have some room to make it yours from there with lift, tires, lights whatever.

Yea thanks for the info guys, I just have been browsing autotrader, ebay, etc. and I have found a few good YJ's for about 3 to 4k. TJ's I've found for about 5 but I haven't found a 6 cylinder and I think a 6 is good, but I love the way TJ looks.

Levinoss 09-22-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphious (Post 446237)
Ok guys now don't steer him completely toward the tj yet. OK first things first for the price range and fix ability ur after i agree a late yj or early tj.should be a easy grab for maybe even under 5k now the tj its a little more civilized for those how have t have a great feeling road travel but its more complicated then the yj. the yj had leaf spring solid axle suspension so its easy and time tested tough but a little more rough of a ride.But not enough to rule it out. as far as fixing goes the the yj is a little easier due to the suspension and less electronics.so i agree that u should try to drive both and get a feel for both. thats just my opinion i personally own a yj. by the way when ur looking yj's range from 87 to 95 tj's are 96 and up but i dont know that when they ended hope u find a good deal and join the jeep family soon.feel free to correct anything i messed up guys

No TJ's were produced in 96 but they were in 97. :)

Seriously though for 5k you are going to be looking at YJ's more so then TJ's. If you want a good quality with non-rusted TJ then expect to pay a few grand more. Don't waste your money and not get a 6 cyl, they are worth the extra money.

jgano23 09-22-2009 04:25 PM

it depends do you want it to look like this:
http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/r...no23/dedur.jpg

or this:
http://jeeps4less.com/images/jeepLogo.jpg


just kidding.

4Jeepn 09-22-2009 04:33 PM

Either one is fine. On YJ's get a 91 or newer 6cyl, as they have fuel injection. Check for rust at the rear frame on the YJ near the spring hangers.

Off road either one does well, though the TJ does better in stock form. Also I think you will find the HVAC units in the TJ are better, also more TJ's can be found with AC if you need it.

Levinoss 09-22-2009 04:33 PM

lmao

DeDurDur!

Robert 09-22-2009 04:47 PM

so lets say after I get my jeep I put a 4 inch lift kit on it...will it be better by saving my money by getting a good YJ or just wait it out until I have enough money for a good TJ?

Robert 09-22-2009 04:48 PM

it depends do you want it to look like this:
http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/r...no23/dedur.jpg

or this:
http://jeeps4less.com/images/jeepLogo.jpg


just kidding.

haha:rofl:

hapakid88 09-22-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgano23 (Post 446245)
it depends do you want it to look like this:
http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/r...no23/dedur.jpg

or this:
http://jeeps4less.com/images/jeepLogo.jpg


just kidding.

hehehehehe :rofl:
as was said its mainly personal preference, that being said i prefer Tj's. smoother ride (on a whole) and much better looking. also go for the 6cyl, very worth it. i got my 1998 Tj for 4k in decent condition. there are good deals out there.

birdhunter 09-22-2009 05:02 PM

They(meaning a good yj or tj)
are hard to find(no rust,low miles,not abused,6cyl)
Start looking at both see what you find
in your area

I would buy a 94-95 yj 6cly
STOCK and then add tires....., lift...............................

inzgary 09-22-2009 08:22 PM

If a daily driver go TJ
If for fun go YJ
Go 6 cyl no matter what you do.
I always liked the looks of the YJ. They're unique and 80s looking. I plan on restoring one someday.

Robert 09-28-2009 03:39 PM

YJ or TJ?
 
Thanks for the info guys, I'm looking into a YJ. But the TJ is still on my mind, if anybody else has suggestions don't be shy! :)

jgano23 09-28-2009 05:10 PM

get a yj and convert the headlights to round.:D

Levinoss 09-28-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgano23 (Post 449743)
get a yj and convert the headlights to round.:d

pfft

Rainman 09-28-2009 06:38 PM

I have a YJ that I will be building this winter and will be switching the front end over to CJ cause I like the round head lights better but I like like the soft seats and the longer roll bar.

Coyote_94YJ 09-28-2009 06:41 PM

Get a YJ between 91-95 with the 4.0L

You'll thank yourself later.

Levinoss 09-28-2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainman (Post 449831)
I have a YJ that I will be building this winter and will be switching the front end over to CJ cause I like the round head lights better but I like like the soft seats and the longer roll bar.

I love the CJ front grills

jpdocdave 09-28-2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levinoss (Post 449874)
I love the CJ front grills

if you want a cj buy a cj. thats my stance on that subject.

astout13 09-28-2009 08:21 PM

I have an '88 YJ with CJ front grille. Has '97 Chevy 4.3L v6 engine installed in it from Chevy Blazer...need all the threads on proper install for tranny 4L680e and np231 transfer case to drive train and engine. Not sure which adapter to buy for transfer case either...

Any tips or threads you know of ? Thanks in advance. This is my first jeep build.

~Abby

Levinoss 09-28-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 449898)
if you want a cj buy a cj. thats my stance on that subject.

I agree with not molesting the models even if it's a YJ. <3

Rainman 09-29-2009 10:53 AM

Well for where I live you don't see rust free CJ's or YJ's or any jeep for that matter.

Jeepzcb09 09-29-2009 11:02 AM

On either one get the 6cyl for sure!!! The Tj has a better suspension system which makes for a better ride and better offroad performance, aswell it has greater (stock) ground clearence, and I prefer the tj's interior over the YJ's for a daily driver(it has just enough comforts), and it has round headlights!!! But the YJ is great to, i looked a several before buying my TJ, but I got my TJ for 5500, so i couldnt pass it up, but with all the things i have done to it(rims,cd player,flares,lift,etc) to make it look much better i have around 6500. Which is still a great deal , my Tj also has no rust so be sure to check for rust on either of them!

Robert 09-29-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astout13 (Post 449923)
I have an '88 YJ with CJ front grille. Has '97 Chevy 4.3L v6 engine installed in it from Chevy Blazer...need all the threads on proper install for tranny 4L680e and np231 transfer case to drive train and engine. Not sure which adapter to buy for transfer case either...

Any tips or threads you know of ? Thanks in advance. This is my first jeep build.

~Abby

hey could post a pic of your yj?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 PM.