Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   3.07 gearing (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/3-07-gearing-36884.html)

joemd60 09-22-2009 04:45 PM

3.07 gearing
 
Hey everyone, bad enough I cannot afford my lift and tires yet. But a guy I know who wheels complained about the 3.07's. he says they are not very good for wheeling.
I understand 3.73's and up are better for wheeling when running downhill, but are the 3.07's that bad? The last thing I feel like doing is re-gearing, I am happy with running 31's or 32's when I do my lift. Thanks

ryt2112 09-22-2009 05:18 PM

You will indeed want to get rid of the 3.07 gears once you do anything other than the small stock tire size on that. Even with 245's on mine with 3.07, it was very doggy until you get rolling - Once I got the axle swapped out to the D44 with 3.73's in it (Thanks again Dave), the 245's were actually a little too small even. Seems like 31's will be perfect for them.

Long answer shortened - yes, you will definitely notice a difference, and will want to change. Sorry :(

joemd60 09-22-2009 05:24 PM

Thank-you, re-gearing is definately out of the question. It costs too much and as said I would be happy with a 2'' lift with 31's. If down the road when she is paid off than maybe I would look around for a Dana 44 axle.

jpdocdave 09-22-2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryt2112 (Post 446282)
You will indeed want to get rid of the 3.07 gears once you do anything other than the small stock tire size on that. Even with 245's on mine with 3.07, it was very doggy until you get rolling - Once I got the axle swapped out to the D44 with 3.73's in it (Thanks again Dave), the 245's were actually a little too small even. Seems like 31's will be perfect for them.

Long answer shortened - yes, you will definitely notice a difference, and will want to change. Sorry :(

^ that thing gets up and moves now :D

i say find a d44 or something, i'd rather do that then spend money on a d35. find an axle already geared if you can. then regear the front.

you can leave the 3.07's, lots of people do, its just pretty doggy

joemd60 09-22-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 446288)
^ that thing gets up and moves now :D

i say find a d44 or something, i'd rather do that then spend money on a d35. find an axle already geared if you can. then regear the front.

you can leave the 3.07's, lots of people do, its just pretty doggy

I have LT 235's for now which I guess are 29's, so I think I will be ok with 31's? I hear others complain their Jeep is doggy, not mine JP. Even my Mechanic was impressed with the low end power she has. And I am not saying she is a race car by any means, but I have surprised a lot of people who thought they were going to walk away from me at a light, that's why I questioned how bad the 3.07's are.
In the meantime if I found a D44 axle, could I leave the front as is or would that cause problems.

jpdocdave 09-22-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joemd60 (Post 446293)
I have LT 235's for now which I guess are 29's, so I think I will be ok with 31's? I hear others complain their Jeep is doggy, not mine JP. Even my Mechanic was impressed with the low end power she has. And I am not saying she is a race car by any means, but I have surprised a lot of people who thought they were going to walk away from me at a light, that's why I questioned how bad the 3.07's are.
In the meantime if I found a D44 axle, could I leave the front as is or would that cause problems.

you just couldn't use 4 wd w/ different gearing in the axle.

235 tires are more like 27.5" or so.

joemd60 09-22-2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 446295)
you just couldn't use 4 wd w/ different gearing in the axle.

235 tires are more like 27.5" or so.

Ok, so you are saying if I found a D44 axle in the bone yard or wherever. Than I would have to re-gear the front axle to match the rear correct?

jpdocdave 09-22-2009 05:52 PM

yup

joemd60 09-22-2009 05:57 PM

Than I am back to my original theory, it will be costly to do. So for now I guess I am going to live with my 3.07's.

motokeen 09-22-2009 06:15 PM

Can you regear it yourself. If you are decent with some tools do some research and regear them yourself. You can probly get loner tools from auto parts store for the stuff you don't have and don't want to buy. I have had friends that paid to have rear ends done and the shops did a bad job so the next time they did it theirself and it seem to turn out better. Just take your time.

joemd60 09-22-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motokeen (Post 446323)
Can you regear it yourself. If you are decent with some tools do some research and regear them yourself. You can probly get loner tools from auto parts store for the stuff you don't have and don't want to buy. I have had friends that paid to have rear ends done and the shops did a bad job so the next time they did it theirself and it seem to turn out better. Just take your time.

Unless you really know what you are doing, than I would not suggest messing with the gearing.

motokeen 09-22-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joemd60 (Post 446349)
Unless you really know what you are doing, than I would not suggest messing with the gearing.

If you have the right tools and knowledge theres no reason not to. Before I got my job working on lift trucks I didn't know how to much with them and with some reading and a few tips I can do pretty much anything on one. I am a firm beleaver that you can do anything if you want to. Those things have a drive unit on them does kind of the same thing as your rear end and like I said if you have the right tools and some know how you can get it done. Everyone just wants you to think everything is super hard so they can overcharge you to do it. The only thing I think that would be a little bit hard for the average joe would possibly the automatic trans. The rest is doable.

joemd60 09-22-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motokeen (Post 446366)
If you have the right tools and knowledge theres no reason not to. Before I got my job working on lift trucks I didn't know how to much with them and with some reading and a few tips I can do pretty much anything on one. I am a firm beleaver that you can do anything if you want to. Those things have a drive unit on them does kind of the same thing as your rear end and like I said if you have the right tools and some know how you can get it done. Everyone just wants you to think everything is super hard so they can overcharge you to do it. The only thing I think that would be a little bit hard for the average joe would possibly the automatic trans. The rest is doable.

My Stepdad has the tools and know how more than me, maybe I will convince him to help when the time comes. I think a cold case of Bud light blue should be convincing enough :D, but the lift and tires will have to come first though.

jpdocdave 09-22-2009 07:32 PM

ring and pinion is not a diy job, there's a reason most shops don't do a good job. it requires special tools most mechanics don't have, and knowledge how to use them after that.

joemd60 09-22-2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 446412)
ring and pinion is not a diy job, there's a reason most shops don't do a good job. it requires special tools most mechanics don't have, and knowledge how to use them after that.

Those were my same thoughts JP, the parts make it look simple enough. But I know enough about the mechanics as to what should be left to an expert.

FlG8R01TJ 09-22-2009 08:13 PM

Hey man, i've got 33s with 3.07s and yea...def doing a gear or prob an axle swap if i can find some good deals...

ou812 09-22-2009 09:45 PM

I have the 307's also on 29" tires,Its decent offroad but are geared too tall for anything bigger than 29's,I'd love to have 373's


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.