Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (
-   -   4.0 to 4.0 swap questions. or stroker? (

91taurisho 11-01-2006 12:46 AM

4.0 to 4.0 swap questions. or stroker?
So I got this jeep that has a blown motor. It's a 97 4.0 and is in great shape other than that. My only question is, money wise which is more feasable, a stroker kit, or just drop in another 4.0? To add a little to that question, If I was to drop another 4.0 in, What years can I take the motor from? I know I can get them from Cherokees and such as long as they are a 4.0. From what a friend has told me, I can use any year 4.0 block as long as I keep my head and intake/exhaust. Is this correct?

I got this jeep for a steal(it was given to me for free) and I want to get it running. It's similar to the one in my sig but with bigger tires and a beefier front end.

The stock 4.0 bottom end is not fixable from what I can tell... It shot a rod through the oil pan. I'm worried the head might be messed up too so please figure that into the equation.


4Jeepn 11-01-2006 11:42 AM

I would just swap another 4.0 in and be done with it. Finda 97 4.0 and it will drop right in. Sounds like someone beat the crap out of it for it to blow oil perhaps? also what is the front axle?

91taurisho 11-01-2006 03:16 PM

Actually, he hydro locked it... the front end, is a 30 with chromoly shafts, CTM u-joints, HD steering and an ARB. The one in my sig is stock with no locker.

The only reason I asked this question is because the junkyards around me, don't really have any newer jeeps and when they do, the thing is stripped quickly. The local pull and save might get a 97 cherokee every once in a blue moon, but they have a lot of cherokees from 95 and older. It's easy to find one of them.

whiteyj 11-01-2006 03:41 PM

What about buying a short block from Chrysler?

4Jeepn 11-01-2006 06:41 PM

I would make sure that if you got it out of another type of jeep. xj zj etc.. that your TJ computer can talk to it correctly or else make sure you get the computer from the other one too.

1BLKJP 11-01-2006 07:11 PM

I'm only throwing this out there because I don't know where you live. But if you have emissions testing in your state you are going to have to find an engine from a same or new model year than yours so that all of the emissions equipment will pass.

That out of the way. If I was given a TJ with a blown motor for free. And I had the money to put into it. I would have to say that I would be doing a 4.7L Stroke on it. For the price you can have it done it will make the straight six even better. Plenty of HP and Torque for the rest of the time you owned it no matter what size rubber you run.

Scotty355 11-01-2006 07:47 PM

The junkyards should be able to help you out with what what years will work, usually you just have to switch out all the sensors and maybe some pulleys from the original engine to the junyard engine.

91taurisho 11-01-2006 11:48 PM

My state does require the engine to be from the same year or newer, but they don't verify that it is. I assume that if I was to get an older block and swap over everything emmissions wise, that it would pass. I've done this on other cars, but I am unsure of what years had the same stuff on these vehicles.

what all is needed to do a stroker kit, and what would be needed to just swap a junkyard block from a 96-97 cherokee or something? I'd need the block from a 4.0 either way correct? For the 4.6 stroker, I'd need 4.2 rods, crank, pistons and just bore the 4.0 block to fit them with new rings/bearings/seals correct?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.