Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Is the Jeep wave dying or is it just me? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/is-the-jeep-wave-dying-or-is-it-just-me-37004.html)

ExDementia 09-24-2009 04:12 PM

Is the Jeep wave dying or is it just me?

I hardly get the Jeep wave from anyone anymore, I wave and they never wave back!:( It seemed like I was getting the wave everywhere I went for a while but now it seems like I have gone a couple weeks without one.

If the driver is female, 99% of the time I either waste a wave or I just don't even bother.:zap:

05GT-O.C.D. 09-24-2009 04:15 PM

The more 'civilized' the Jeep becomes the more it appeals to the masses and less (percentage wise) to the enthusiasts. All the YJ guys used to wave, when the TJ became more popular there was less waving. I've noticed significantly less with the introduction of the 4dr JK.

Cons_Table 09-24-2009 04:24 PM

ive been seeing less waves also, if i get a wave its usually from an older jeep or a new modded jeep. (no offense to anyone with a stock jeep, i was just referring to them as a whole) i still wave at everyone whether i get a wave back or not. the worst case scenario: you look like an idiot for wavin to someone that doesnt wave back lol :wavey:

N39-W120 09-24-2009 04:30 PM

I see it about 90% of the time....

ExDementia 09-24-2009 04:43 PM

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've gotten the wave from a stock JK yet...

But you're right, its usually modded Jeeps, older guys, or a mix of the two.

Interesting point about the advances through the years, I get a wave 100% of the time from CJ drivers, alot from YJ drivers, TJ drivers it depends on the mods, and JK I hardly get them at all unless they are lifted, which is somewhat uncommon in itself.

TJ Lady 09-24-2009 04:58 PM

I have the same problem around here too...waving to a JK is a joke, and I only get a wave back half of the time from the others. As for the females...I don't see too many fellow Jeep girls rolling around in general...:/

05GT-O.C.D. 09-24-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Lady (Post 447746)
I have the same problem around here too...waving to a JK is a joke, and I only get a wave back half of the time from the others. As for the females...I don't see too many fellow Jeep girls rolling around in general...:/

Hey, if you're near Canton, OH you'll get a wave from me! :wavey:

TJ Lady 09-24-2009 05:04 PM

Sadly, I'm not....up in (cr)akron. But if I roll through Canton and get a wave..I'll know who it is! lol

joemd60 09-24-2009 06:06 PM

My Jeep is stock, and I don't always get waves from modded Jeeps. There is a Guy I see from time to time who has a black 4 door stock and he always gives a quick wave. But more times than not I get the wave, and if you come to Woosta, I will be sure to wave back at ya.:D

Cons_Table 09-24-2009 06:13 PM

we all just need stickers like this... ;)

http://www.funnydecalstickers.com/img/wavedammit150.jpg

turdhurdler 09-24-2009 06:26 PM

I have noticed a decline in waves here also. Seems like when the weather first warmed up and the tops came off, everyone was waving. Now as Summer has come to an end and schools are back in session I see less waving. And it is still very hot out here, 101* today. Man I am looking forward to some cooler weather.

Jeff

jgano23 09-24-2009 06:36 PM

i have noticed a serious lack of waving, but i still wave at every cj and wrangler. if you stop waving because the wave is not being returned then you are perpetuating the loss of interest in the wave.

COyj 09-24-2009 06:49 PM

Thats how I felt when I was living in CO and now that I'm up in MI everyone waves! Its the greatest feeling, I light up like a little kid on Christmas morning every time. JKs are the problem... Sorry but JK owners you suck at the whole waving thing.

Jp90Talon 09-24-2009 06:49 PM

I have noticed that I only get a return wave about 40% of the time here in CT. I think the reason is that most of the JKs and quite a few LJs around here are driven by soccer moms or older buiss execs. Most of the time they are either too busy talking on their phone or yelling at the kids in the back seat to notice me nevermind wave.

N39-W120 09-24-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COyj (Post 447806)
Thats how I felt when I was living in CO and now that I'm up in MI everyone waves! Its the greatest feeling, I light up like a little kid on Christmas morning every time. JKs are the problem... Sorry but JK owners you suck at the whole waving thing.

I would hope that it is only the X models.... I would think that the RUBICON owners would understand

05GT-O.C.D. 09-24-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

No need to apologize. If they're a member of an enthusiasts website like WF.com, then they're probably not the ones causing the decline in waving. The ones that are the problem are the ones who got the Jeep because it reminded them of their freind's Hummer, or they just got tired of driving their minivan and wanted something that looked cooler. Heck, they've got 4 doors, plastic bumpers, plastic grills, and minivan motors. I like the JK's and I'm not bashing them, but I hope Chrysler doesn't continue down this (smooth paved) road.

SGT_G 09-24-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

HEY! I own a jk x and i wave. im gonna go cry into a corner and cry now!

birdhunter 09-24-2009 08:03 PM

To me it seams like in the early summer almost everyone
waved by now its down too maybe 30 %

Hondarider 09-24-2009 08:26 PM

It's alive and well in my little town...of course, I think lifted TJs and YJs outnumber Honda Civics here. Thank GOD!

Jp90Talon 09-24-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondarider (Post 447888)
of course, I think lifted TJs and YJs outnumber Honda Civics here. Thank GOD!

Thats because all the hondas in your area are stolen and stripped apart in Springfield.

TJersey 09-24-2009 09:24 PM

Thanks for this thread. You actually answered the question with which I closed my introduction message. As a new Jeep Wrangler Sahara owner, I have been curious as to why other Wrangler drivers in oncoming traffic seem to be flipping me the peace sign or waving. I didn't know If there was some sort of Wrangler etiquette I needed to observe.

I am ecstatic to be a part of the Jeep Wrangler community and would only be too happy to return or initiate a greeting when encountering a fellow Jeep driver.
As a 98' owner, should I acknowledge only TJs? Or TJs and CJs? Or all Wranglers? To be honest, I barely consider Unlimiteds as Wranglers. Unlimited drivers seem somewhat elitist, looking down their 4 door snoots at us puny 2 doors. Maybe I am being snobbish myself?...lol

Any advice would be appreciated.

Best regards fellow Wranglerites. Wranglers are awesome! This 39 year old very rarely uses the word awesome :)

Brandt

TJ Lady 09-24-2009 09:38 PM

I always make it a point to wave to all Wranglers...yes, even the 4 doors...as to keep the wave tradition going..and hoping they will put their cell phone/coffee/small child down long enough to catch on and start doing it back...

Oh, and the word "Wranglerites"...dude..Epic! :D

TJersey 09-24-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Lady (Post 447944)
..and hoping they will put their cell phone/coffee/small child down long enough to catch on and start doing it back...

I had to smile at this. I am from Atlantic County New Jersey; Soccer Mom, Starbucks swilling, and phone-as-ear appendage central. Most 2 door drivers around my area are very cool and seem to wave more than not. I will be waving to Wrangler drivers from now on. But it seems the Unlimited drivers are mostly Hummerwannabes and too self absorbed and uptight to observe something as quaint and declassé as our little wave. Most of the 4 doors around here are money green. Seems rather appropriate..lol

Regards,

Brandt

N39-W120 09-24-2009 10:15 PM

With all this 4D bashing, I'll think I will trade mine tomorrow

05GT-O.C.D. 09-24-2009 10:19 PM

Brandt, for someone who in post 21 is stating he didn't even know what the Jeep wave was, you seem pretty eliteist yourself to be bashing a whole bunch of Jeep owners by post #23. Chill out and become part of the community. Wave to them all (CJ's and Wranglers), they'll catch on. You know, the whole be part of the solution thing. Jeepers stick together, no need to talk down about your Jeep brothers.

TJersey 09-24-2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D. (Post 447961)
Brandt, for someone who in post 21 is stating he didn't even know what the Jeep wave was, you seem pretty eliteist yourself to be bashing a whole bunch of Jeep owners by post #23. Chill out and become part of the community. Wave to them all (CJ's and Wranglers), they'll catch on. You know, the whole be part of the solution thing. Jeepers stick together, no need to talk down about your Jeep brothers.

I was partially raised in England, and I have a rather acerbic sense of humour and a cheeky wit which is often misinterpreted by Americans. It was never my intention to bash anyone, or make 4 door owners feel slighted; but perhaps I did inadvertently. I apologise If I gave any offence.

Brandt

TJersey 09-24-2009 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N39-W120 (Post 447958)
With all this 4D bashing, I'll think I will trade mine tomorrow

I'm sorry. I didn't intend to be mean. My sense of humour is often misinterpreted, but... maybe I was a little unkind to Unlimited owners. I apologise. Please keep your megaJeep. Your local service station will go out of business without your filling the tank 3 times a day. I love my Jeep, but wow! They 'are' thirsty aren't they?

Regards,

Brandt

05GT-O.C.D. 09-24-2009 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJersey (Post 447983)
I was partially raised in England, and I have a rather acerbic sense of humour and a cheeky wit which is often misinterpreted by Americans. It was never my intention to bash anyone, or make 4 door owners feel slighted; but perhaps I did inadvertently. I apologise If I gave any offence.

Brandt

No worries. :cool:

England? I just figured it was because you were from Jersey. :p

Edit: and btw - that's just Mid-West American humor. ;)

SergeantJK 09-24-2009 11:39 PM

I always wave... Get it back about 50% of the time.

adkjoe 09-25-2009 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D. (Post 447990)
England? I just figured it was because you were from Jersey. :p

:rofl: that's exactly what I was thinking....no offense to you jersey boys of coarse.