Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Gears and locker questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/gears-and-locker-questions-37176.html)

Jp90Talon 09-28-2009 09:52 AM

Gears and locker questions

Ok well here I go again.

I hate the fact that I need to downshift on the highway to keep up a decent speed for uphills. I am only running 32s possibly 33s down the road but would like to possibly regear. Not sure what I should go with. I am kinda the type that likes to do it right the 1st time and forget about it. I was recently told by an OG jeeper that I have D44 rear and no clue up front.

While I am at it I won a voucher for 25% off any ARB product and was thinking lockers. Now this is all new to to. Would I need to do front and rear? Also if I go with arb do I need on board air to control them?

Obviously this is something beyond my ability to do on my own. If you could give a ball park estimate of what I would be looking to spend for parts and labor to regear and do lockers I am a bit curious.

Cliffs
-what gear ratio should I look into
-if I go with lockers do I need to do front and rear
-would I also need on board air to control them
-if you could possibly give a ballpark estimate on cost for parts and labor.

Thanks in advance.

whitebuffalo 09-28-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp90Talon (Post 449532)
Cliffs
-what gear ratio should I look into
-if I go with lockers do I need to do front and rear
-would I also need on board air to control them
-if you could possibly give a ballpark estimate on cost for parts and labor.

Thanks in advance.

what motor/trans do you have will help determine what ratio you need

you dont need to do lockers on both ends if you dont want to (you will have to regear both ends though

if you do ARBs, yes

i dont know. but ARBs are ~900 ish? gear install you're looking at ~500 per axle ish.

Jp90Talon 09-28-2009 11:15 AM

Sorry about that. I have a 2001 4.0 5spd.

Would just the rear locker be suffiecient? What do most people do? I'm not looking to do hardcore rock climbing but at least want to have the ability to make it over some challanging obstacles now and then.

whitebuffalo 09-28-2009 12:10 PM

33"s with that motor and tranny would probably be best with 4.56.

a locker in the rear will get you a lot of places open diffs wont. that being said, (in rocks) i've gotten more places with just a front locker than i did with just a rear locker. it all depends on what you're looking for. most people recommend locking the rear first.

Jeepzcb09 09-28-2009 12:37 PM

can someone explain what lockers are and what they do? I love jeeps and know a great deal about them but these have always left me in the dark!

Cons_Table 09-28-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepzcb09 (Post 449621)
can someone explain what lockers are and what they do? I love jeeps and know a great deal about them but these have always left me in the dark!

they allow your wheels to spin at the same rate no matter what. with an open differential, when you lose traction all of the power goes to that wheel. lockers allow both wheels to spin together whether you lose traction or not