Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2007 Sahara starting problem (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2007-sahara-starting-problem-37195.html)

Nobodycares 09-28-2009 06:34 PM

2007 Sahara starting problem

My 2007 Sahara has 54,000 miles and will not always start. I turn the key and nothing happens. It will take me 40 minutes to get it started and at other times it starts immediately. Chrysler dealership has replaced starter motor, new battery, wiring harness for battery, key module and key chips, and worked on the steering wheel. The car always starts for them. They have no idea what is wrong with it and can't do anything more. Help, don't know what to do with the car!!!!!!

JDsDream 09-28-2009 07:02 PM

How about a little more info on your JEEP. Stnd or auto? Are any codes coming up? and by the way. Welcome to the Forum. I'm sure you will get some responses here. These guys know more about Jeeps than most stealership mechanics ever will.

Nobodycares 09-29-2009 12:41 PM

2007 sahara

Jeep is automatic. It seems not to start after you drive it and not start it until the end of the day. Some mornings it will not start. When you try and start it, it makes absolutely no sounds. Thanks.

Nobodycares 09-29-2009 12:54 PM

New to this forum, so am making mistakes posting and relpying. Jeep is automatic. It seems not to start after you drive it and not start it until the end of the day. Some mornings it will not start. When you try and start it, it makes absolutely no sounds. Thanks.

JDsDream 10-01-2009 05:23 AM

Bump

cwood 10-01-2009 06:22 AM

I've heard of a problem like this where if you shift into neutral it will start...some sort of lockout switch that will act up.

08wranglerxrhd 11-28-2009 03:27 PM

Chrysler has a TSB on the WCM (wireless control module). The next time you have an issue with it starting, pull the IOD fuse located under the hood...leave it out a few minutes and replace it. If the engine starts, the WCM is the culprit.

MrBob 08-10-2010 03:34 PM

New to the forum, this is my first post.
I have a 2007 Sahara automatic and I'm having the same problem as NobodyCares except I haven't been to the dealer. Got a new battery in April, cleaned the terminals but it won't start on occasion. Leave it for a few minutes , then it starts. I was wondering if there's any more news on this issue and if indeed the WCM is the culprit.
Thanks!

GroundHawg 08-10-2010 04:01 PM

there's a sensor in the transmission that tells the PCM the Jeep is in park. it goes bad in JK's early. if you turn. the key and it goes "CLICK' and all the dash lights are nice and bright and the radio plays, that's your problem. shift to No Gear, turn the key, and it'll start. you can also jiggle the shifter around in Park and give her another go.

I call this the Random No Start Club. not only am I the President, I'm also a member.

EDIT: my jeep has no warranty. I'm not spending who knows what to buy that sensor, and I'm not tearing apart my trans to get it and waste a Saturday night so it can go bad in 2 years again :rofl:

No Gear is my fix. mine only does it like once a month. I think of it as an anti-theft device :D

MrBob 08-10-2010 04:45 PM

What you describe sure fits. I get one click and the dashboard lights up like a christmas tree. And I'm sure the radio is playing, too. However, it happens much more frequently. It started just over a couple of weeks ago, with just the one click and it would start the next try. I figured I just hadn't had the key turned long enough. Then last week it wouldn't start like it was a dead battery, but would start after a few tries. I cleaned the batteries posts and things were fine until today. Wouldn't start at all. Left it for about 10 minutes and it started. Drove home, turned it off, wouldn't start. But started on the next try. Now I'm afraid of going out in the boonies in case it won't start. Hopefully your No Gear solution will work for me, too. Thanks GroundHawg!

jcf 08-10-2010 05:10 PM

Mine is also an '07 auto' & occasionally it hesitates & I have to take my foot off the brake & put it back on it again before it will kick over. Not really a problem yet but I think it's coming so -can I join your club GroundHawg?

GroundHawg 08-10-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBob
What you describe sure fits. I get one click and the dashboard lights up like a christmas tree. And I'm sure the radio is playing, too. However, it happens much more frequently. It started just over a couple of weeks ago, with just the one click and it would start the next try. I figured I just hadn't had the key turned long enough. Then last week it wouldn't start like it was a dead battery, but would start after a few tries. I cleaned the batteries posts and things were fine until today. Wouldn't start at all. Left it for about 10 minutes and it started. Drove home, turned it off, wouldn't start. But started on the next try. Now I'm afraid of going out in the boonies in case it won't start. Hopefully your No Gear solution will work for me, too. Thanks GroundHawg!

it works every time for me. I know you've got an 07, and some are still under warranty. if this is you, get it repaired fast before warranty runs out. I'm stuck living with it.

sometimes mine will occur in phases I'll have a day where it acts up 2 or 3 times, then GONE for a month. mines hasn't done this since June. it just left. it'll do it again out of nowhere in the future.

I have no idea how much that sensor is. $30 maybe? I've dropped JK transmissions but I don't know where it is. I'm guessing it's near the shifter itself under that plastic base housing. either way, it's got potential to be a nightmare job, I'm taking a shot in the dark and saying it'll be $200 to have a shop fix it. it'd probably take me a night to fix it since I don't even know what I'm looking for :rofl:

you'll need the key on to shift to no gear. so leave the lights and stuff in the dash on before you shift or it won't let you get out of Park. make sure you are on the brakes too. then key it to off, then crank. I promise it'll start. I have yet to see it fail in no gear. I've started my Jeep maybe 10 times this way so far, and maybe 2 or 3 times just by keying off, and moving the shifter around while it's in Park. for whatever reason that sensor just doesn't detect the shifter sometimes.

a little theory that just came to mind is to possibly alter your shift firmness. by this I mean...when I shift to Park, I'm a bit forceful. I don't run it up in Park hard, but I don't carefully move the shifter up slowly either. it's a quick shift, like in a manual. my Jeep doesn't do the no start thing consistently enough to test it, but maybe too light of a "touch" doesn't activate that sensor. experiment with that theory and see if that helps keep it at bay.

GroundHawg 08-10-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcf
Mine is also an '07 auto' & occasionally it hesitates & I have to take my foot off the brake & put it back on it again before it will kick over. Not really a problem yet but I think it's coming so -can I join your club GroundHawg?

we all have 07's huh? no 08's do this? I've never noticed that before...

what do you mean it hesitates? like if your stopping for a traffic light, it wants to stall? or you turn the key with a delay before it cranks when on the brakes?

jcf 08-10-2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GroundHawg (Post 719229)

what do you mean it hesitates? like if your stopping for a traffic light, it wants to stall? or you turn the key with a delay before it cranks when on the brakes?

No it won't turn over, just nothing untill I push the break in again & then it's fine. It doesn't seem to do it any other time exept the first start of the day

GroundHawg 08-11-2010 07:01 AM

you've got something different going on.

it sounds like to me your battery might be getting ready to go. something electrical is happening when you push the brakes, drawing power, and allowing a start. I'm not good with electrical stuff. you should try to jump it and start it up without pushing the brakes.

that's weird. I've never seen a problem like that in an automatic. all I can think of is something goofy electrically is going on or the battery is going bad.

you throwing any codes?

MrBob 08-11-2010 09:17 AM

I thought I'd give the battery posts and cable ends a really good clean to ensure a good connection. Now I have the Check Engine light on and I'm getting a P1697 code. Left the ground cable off for an hour to reset the PCM, but the light is still on and I'm still getting the code. Any idea why that is happening?

GroundHawg 08-11-2010 11:02 AM

PCM failure. someone will have to chime in to be exact, but all the Jeeps with that code the PCM was replaced.

best case scenario is an update didn't upload to the Jeep correctly. have you recently gotten a computer flash from the dealership? if so, get it again. something uploaded wrong. if that doesn't correct it, you'll prob need a new PCM

GroundHawg 08-11-2010 11:23 AM

I did some reading real quick in a manual. it could also be the MAP or CKP sensor. usually other codes are with it, mostly the CPS code...which would ID your problem right there. could also be the auto shut down relay.

I'm at work, so I'll have to dig into this deeper later unless someone here knows what's up.

is that your only code?

GroundHawg 08-11-2010 11:50 AM

ok, it's impossible to ID the real issue without a scanner. it could be any one of those things I mentioned above, but only a scan tool can tell which it actually is.

MrBob 08-11-2010 05:27 PM

It's the only code, and it only happened after I disconnected the battery. Everything seems to be working. Tomorrow I'll be out in the Jeep, so I'll see what happens.

ALs07 08-11-2010 07:16 PM

Mine too!

07, did the same no-start thing. Out of warranty ( 43,000miles), bought it last Dec, anyway I had a 30 day warranty from the dealer where I bought it. They checked eveything- battery, starter, battery clamps, etc could not find anything no codes. After reading the Forums and I convinced them to change out the "gear selector sensor" in the tranny. A $40 dollar part , but it fixed it!

GroundHawg 08-11-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBob
It's the only code, and it only happened after I disconnected the battery. Everything seems to be working. Tomorrow I'll be out in the Jeep, so I'll see what happens.

that sounds good. if it's throwing that code due to a disagreement between the CPS or something relating to the fuel injectors, that's your no start problem. if it gets too much to bear, remember a scan will pinpoint exactly what it is. I'm not sure if most shops have that scanner. it might be one of those fancy ones the dealers get.

ALs07...it's great you got that fixed. there needs to be a TSB for this issue.

$40, nice. did you do the repair yourself? if you did, is it in the shifter housing? if it is I'll repair mine in the future. if not, how long did the dealership take to fix it and how much were you charged total, if you don't mind me asking. I'm just trying to get an idea how tough of a repair it is. I'm not dropping my trans to get to a dumb sensor :rofl:

ALs07 08-12-2010 03:21 PM

No charge

No charge. Since I was still in the '30' day warranty window. The part is in the tranny. Not really sure how long it took. Good luck.

Lizzard69 03-21-2011 12:46 AM

Curious how much did u pay for 07 with 43k, I just bought x 07, stung atbsteakership for 19.7 too mas ripped off n same problem!

Lizzard69 03-21-2011 12:51 AM

Any clues for being ripped off by a steakership in Nj ? Still waiting for my hard top as well! Mfs sorry to say give jeeps bad name rep fir being slimy used auto whores
nane rhymes with olman in central Nj stay far away No good going to sue them! Lemon laws possible, too many issues for 35 k miles, was the 07 x auto a disaster? Should I trade it in now? Will loose 8/9 k??

GroundHawg 03-21-2011 01:01 AM

Keep the Jeep. They all got issues. All you need to do is change the fluid and get yourself a cooler for the automatic. You'll thank me later.

For what it's worth, I bought a 2-door 07 auto for 16,000. It only had 17,000 miles on it. Honestly though, that's a steal. Took me nearly a year to find it, and gas was high at the time of purchase.

I found it at a Honda dealer and swiped it out from under some kid who was trying to get the price lower. I traded in a 4 cyl Nissan and didn't even bother trying to get the price down. 16 grand was good in my book and I didn't want that teenager taking it :rofl:

$teve-o 03-21-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GroundHawg (Post 719229)

I've got an '08 and it happened to me once, I just jiggled the stick when it was in park, and it started right up. Don't know if it was a fluke, or I just didn't put it all the way in park before I got out, but that's what got it to start...

GroundHawg 03-21-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by $teve-o

I've got an '08 and it happened to me once, I just jiggled the stick when it was in park, and it started right up. Don't know if it was a fluke, or I just didn't put it all the way in park before I got out, but that's what got it to start...

Me too lol only like once a month though

Timecloud 05-26-2011 08:16 AM

Happening to me

Hey guys,
Read this thread and thought I too could join the club. I haven't had the jeep 3 weeks and it started this mess. It happens every day, but I drop into -N- and it cranks right up. I will look into the gear selector switch. My thoughts were focused on the Neutral Safety Switch.

rubberwrangler 06-12-2011 11:50 PM

hey all! reading this thread and seriously punching myself! I've had a starter issue as well on my 07 wrangler x. I replaced it tonight, and drove it home just fine. I just went back out to pull into the garage and it wouldn't start, and it took about 20 or more times of turning the key to finally get it up and running. Same details I'm seeing are here- I turn the key, the dash lights up, radio is on, it clicks, wont start. I do know when I almost had the car towed last week for when it didnt start- the AAA guy came, put it in neutral- and then i started- so I believe in the bit about putting it into nuetral and that will work- so when can you tell when you actually have a bad starter....? Is there going to be an obvious difference in sound, or the lighting up of the dash board, etc?

I feel like if this is truly a sensor issue in all these 07 wranglers, then its time for a recall. Didnt they do a recall for a gas pump issue last year or the year before? It was on all JK models I believe- anyways- this is BS, and like some people in this forum- my warranty is up.