Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Builders Corner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/)
-   -   Questions about a kayak carrier idea (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/questions-about-a-kayak-carrier-idea-37318.html)

JAMM 09-30-2009 10:44 PM

Questions about a kayak carrier idea
 
I'm posting this on several forums to get as much input as possible so I apologize if you've read it elsewhere.

I want to be able to haul my 13.5'/70# kayak on my LJ with either top. So I wondered if anyone had used a hinge mounted lightbar similar to the pic below for the front support?

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r.../lightbar4.jpg

I want to use Mako Saddles (already have them) but the lightbar has a larger diameter than the saddles can accomodate. I was thinking about making an inverted U-shaped pipe that could either be bolted or welded to two of the light mounts.

So I have a few questions:
  1. Has anyone used a lightbar to do this successfully? What were the pros/cons?
  2. Did the lightbar cause excessive wind noise? I'm thinking that with my added pipe I may be able to incorporate a wind deflector. Any thoughts?
  3. Would it be better to copy the lightbar design but use the correct sized pipe? Yakima Load Bars are 1-1/8" diameter, is that big enough to span the width of the LJ without additional support?
  4. I don't particularly like the look of a lightbar so I would like a way to quickly disconnect it when not in use. Any ideas?
  5. Anybody have experience with "A" pillar protectors? Could these be used as the base mount for the pipe?

Now on to the back yak mount.

I was lucky enough to purchase one of Eddie's (Ground Pounder Fab) rear bumpers with a tire swingout. Which is awesome by the way. So I am thinking of adding a vertical receiver above the tire mount. This would allow me to make a removeable rear yak support which would be somewhat similar to the one below, but narrower.

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...66/drydock.jpg

Now here's the kicker--- I want to be able to access the inside of the LJ from the rear while the yak is in place. The problem I see with my design is that the support mounted to the swingout along with the yak being strapped down would not allow the swingout to open. Basically the tied down yak would be holding it in place. To combat this issue, I was thinking about making the mount so that it would still sit in the vertical receiver but would have two stacked horitzontal arms with a pivot hinge at one end of them (probably in line with the tire swingout hinge). The yak support would then mount to the top arm centered over the LJ. Kind of like your arm.

My hope is that with the rear of the yak strapped to the top support arm the lower arm would swing out with the tire carrier and the yak would stay in place. This would then allow the rear door to open for access to the back of the Jeep.

Am I crazy? Any designers think this would work? I would appreciate any thought or comments. Please don't tell me to get a roof rack. I want something that can:
  • be taken off quickly without doing a lot of unbolting
  • allow for either a hard or soft top to be on or affect folding folding it down
  • let me leave the setup at camp while on the trails

Thanks

Fireslayer 01-06-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMM (Post 451372)
I'm posting this on several forums to get as much input as possible so I apologize if you've read it elsewhere.

I want to be able to haul my 13.5'/70# kayak on my LJ with either top. So I wondered if anyone had used a hinge mounted lightbar similar to the pic below for the front support?

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r.../lightbar4.jpg

I want to use Mako Saddles (already have them) but the lightbar has a larger diameter than the saddles can accomodate. I was thinking about making an inverted U-shaped pipe that could either be bolted or welded to two of the light mounts.

So I have a few questions:
  1. Has anyone used a lightbar to do this successfully? What were the pros/cons?
  2. Did the lightbar cause excessive wind noise? I'm thinking that with my added pipe I may be able to incorporate a wind deflector. Any thoughts?
  3. Would it be better to copy the lightbar design but use the correct sized pipe? Yakima Load Bars are 1-1/8" diameter, is that big enough to span the width of the LJ without additional support?
  4. I don't particularly like the look of a lightbar so I would like a way to quickly disconnect it when not in use. Any ideas?
  5. Anybody have experience with "A" pillar protectors? Could these be used as the base mount for the pipe?

Now on to the back yak mount.

I was lucky enough to purchase one of Eddie's (Ground Pounder Fab) rear bumpers with a tire swingout. Which is awesome by the way. So I am thinking of adding a vertical receiver above the tire mount. This would allow me to make a removeable rear yak support which would be somewhat similar to the one below, but narrower.

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...66/drydock.jpg

Now here's the kicker--- I want to be able to access the inside of the LJ from the rear while the yak is in place. The problem I see with my design is that the support mounted to the swingout along with the yak being strapped down would not allow the swingout to open. Basically the tied down yak would be holding it in place. To combat this issue, I was thinking about making the mount so that it would still sit in the vertical receiver but would have two stacked horitzontal arms with a pivot hinge at one end of them (probably in line with the tire swingout hinge). The yak support would then mount to the top arm centered over the LJ. Kind of like your arm.

My hope is that with the rear of the yak strapped to the top support arm the lower arm would swing out with the tire carrier and the yak would stay in place. This would then allow the rear door to open for access to the back of the Jeep.

Am I crazy? Any designers think this would work? I would appreciate any thought or comments. Please don't tell me to get a roof rack. I want something that can:
  • be taken off quickly without doing a lot of unbolting
  • allow for either a hard or soft top to be on or affect folding folding it down
  • let me leave the setup at camp while on the trails

Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That is exactly what I am planning on doing.
For the back of the Jeep, I'm going to add a 'receiver goal post'

Hitch Mounted Load Bars - Weston Canoe Loader- Thule Goalpost - Yakima Drydock

Iceman 01-06-2012 06:15 PM

I'm not sure on the strength of the light bar or orbit would hold up however you might want to consider a kargo master Congo cage. The can be picked up used pretty reasonable. They attach behind the tail lights and to the windshield hinges. They can be taken off pretty easily if needed, can be pivoted to raised, lower, change tops. Also you can open the tailgate loaded and have full access to the jeep.

Fireslayer 01-07-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1895329)
I'm not sure on the strength of the light bar or orbit would hold up however you might want to consider a kargo master Congo cage. The can be picked up used pretty reasonable. They attach behind the tail lights and to the windshield hinges. They can be taken off pretty easily if needed, can be pivoted to raised, lower, change tops. Also you can open the tailgate loaded and have full access to the jeep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would love to have a cage, because my hauling problem would be solved.
But, the problem with a cage is that I won't be able to remove my hard top.

I have brackets bolted to the ceiling to raise my top, but I don't have anyone to help me lift the cage off. If I back into the garage I can no longer pivot the top to get to the top.
I can't figure out how guys with cages are getting their tops off. Is it possible to have the best of both worlds?


I am new to this, and I'm not sure if there is something that I"m missing.

I just want to transport my kayak and this must be a one person operation.

Iceman 01-07-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fireslayer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would love to have a cage, because my hauling problem would be solved.
But, the problem with a cage is that I won't be able to remove my hard top.

I have brackets bolted to the ceiling to raise my top, but I don't have anyone to help me lift the cage off. If I back into the garage I can no longer pivot the top to get to the top.
I can't figure out how guys with cages are getting their tops off. Is it possible to have the best of both worlds?

I am new to this, and I'm not sure if there is something that I"m missing.

I just want to transport my kayak and this must be a one person operation.

The cargo master Congo cage can be tilted on the rear pivot bolts by one person giving full acres to remove the top I will get pictures as soon as I can for you

Fireslayer 01-08-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1897748)
The cargo master Congo cage can be tilted on the rear pivot bolts by one person giving full acres to remove the top I will get pictures as soon as I can for you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I realize that it can be tilted back. I've seen the photos so you don't need to post any.

Here is the problem:
In order to remove my top (by myself) I need to be backed into my garage so I will have access to the brackets that I attached to the rafters.
If I back into the garage, there is no way to tilt the cargo rack. My ceiling is too low.

Fireslayer 01-08-2012 08:13 PM

This is what I'm doing. Easy and cost effective.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/ine...oe-131995.html

sjpatg 01-08-2012 08:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This is what I did , it started as an old jon boat trailer

bobjenkins 01-14-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjpatg
This is what I did , it started as an old jon boat trailer

Whoa that trailer gives gene simmons a run for his money in the tongue department;]

Fireslayer 01-14-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMM (Post 451372)
I'm posting this on several forums to get as much input as possible so I apologize if you've read it elsewhere.

I want to be able to haul my 13.5'/70# kayak on my LJ with either top. So I wondered if anyone had used a hinge mounted lightbar similar to the pic below for the front support?

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r.../lightbar4.jpg


So I have a few questions:
  1. Has anyone used a lightbar to do this successfully? What were the pros/cons?
  2. Did the lightbar cause excessive wind noise? I'm thinking that with my added pipe I may be able to incorporate a wind deflector. Any thoughts?
  3. Would it be better to copy the lightbar design but use the correct sized pipe? Yakima Load Bars are 1-1/8" diameter, is that big enough to span the width of the LJ without additional support?
  4. I don't particularly like the look of a lightbar so I would like a way to quickly disconnect it when not in use. Any ideas?
  5. Anybody have experience with "A" pillar protectors? Could these be used as the base mount for the pipe?



http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...66/drydock.jpg


Am I crazy? Any designers think this would work? I would appreciate any thought or comments. Please don't tell me to get a roof rack. I want something that can:
  • be taken off quickly without doing a lot of unbolting
  • allow for either a hard or soft top to be on or affect folding folding it down
  • let me leave the setup at camp while on the trails

Thanks


This is not working as planned.
Yesterday I picked up a "goal post" mount that goes into the trailer hitch. The problem is the size of the spare tire. So,,, I had to pick up a hitch extender. It pushed it back 12". The "goal post" is now so far back that the kayak will no longer be stable if I use a windshield bracket. DRAT!

Now I have to rethink this and possibly use something that attaches to the roof. Not what I was planning.
What is in volved in a front mount? Is there a bolt on, or is this a fabrication item? :facepalm:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.